Author Topic: What surgical technique do I need? Images included.  (Read 14352 times)

JigJaw_:/

Re: What surgical technique do I need? Images included.
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »
??
I've already had a rhinoplasty/septoplasty for a deviated septum....however my nose didn't change. The PS actually made my nose worse; left me with a pointy tip and failed to correct the fracture near the top of the bridge. So, I think it should be okay to correct the point as well as the fracture near the top of the bridge. Growing a beard doesn't work for me, no chin for it. 
I'm very in-tune with the fact I'll never be a model; I actually prefaced the fact I don't have any kind of ambition or motivation to be one.
Namaste    )

PloskoPlus

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2017, 05:27:46 PM »
Well kavan is right, a lot of these things are down to cranial shape which is impossible to change. There is a Photoshop plugin which allows you to mess around with your facial feature size and spacing. I'm guessing if you play around with that you'll find that increasing the spacing between your eyes would be the biggest win. Believe it or not there are craniofacial surgeons in the states who move eye sockets around. Many of them would be in Texas.

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2017, 05:44:08 PM »
I know.  It's all been great insight. I was actually just replying to Lazlo's comment. I think moving my eye sockets  around might be a touch aggressive; interesting to know they do that...sure they reserve that type of stuff for kiddos with supercharged deformities/injuries. I'm also sure any one of those surgeons would look at me like I'd lost my "cranium". Every pun intended.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:09:46 PM by JigJaw_:/ »

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2017, 05:49:29 PM »
"What is involved is craniofacial surgery.  The bones that surround the eyes are cut taking take to protect the vital nerves that travel through these bones.  The brain is lifted because the bone roof above the eyes also makes the bony floor that supports the brain.  Then the orbits are repositioned relative to the rest of the facial skeleton.  I hope this description makes it clear that this is one of the most complex surgeries performed.  Due to the difficulty and inherent risks including blindness and death, this surgery is only performed when facial abnormalities are so severe that the individual can't interact with others.  This is not a cosmetic surgery in other words but a tremendously complex undertaking that is perform to give someone a more human appearance.
Having said that, occasionally individuals have this complain and the issue turns out to be body dysmorphic disorder, a self esteem issue, or even prominent epicanthal folds that make it look like the eyes are closer together than they are. "

(shea right) That sounds like the longest walk in the park, ever! Still freaking amazing.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 06:19:56 PM »
"What is involved is craniofacial surgery.  The bones that surround the eyes are cut taking take to protect the vital nerves that travel through these bones.  The brain is lifted because the bone roof above the eyes also makes the bony floor that supports the brain.  Then the orbits are repositioned relative to the rest of the facial skeleton.  I hope this description makes it clear that this is one of the most complex surgeries performed.  Due to the difficulty and inherent risks including blindness and death, this surgery is only performed when facial abnormalities are so severe that the individual can't interact with others.  This is not a cosmetic surgery in other words but a tremendously complex undertaking that is perform to give someone a more human appearance.
Having said that, occasionally individuals have this complain and the issue turns out to be body dysmorphic disorder, a self esteem issue, or even prominent epicanthal folds that make it look like the eyes are closer together than they are. "

(shea right) That sounds like the longest walk in the park, ever! Still freaking amazing.

If you ask me, the person getting that type of surgery to move a few mms to space eyes, should have the brain THROWN and TOSSED while they are lifting it. Because they are not using it anyway.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 06:34:13 PM »
lol
That, or...when it's lifted just throw that sucker on a weigh scale or brain scanner bc something is definitely suspect of malfunctioning.

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 06:37:37 PM »
Now, on the other hand, if I go in for a chin osteotomy and wake up.  "Hey, wtf is going on? I came in for a genio-procedure, why is my brain on the table? Yeah, about that. We got the chin all fixed up, but, hell...we figured we'd move the eye sockets around a bit and see what panned out. By the way, Mr. Potato head sends his regards." . 
 Makes me nauseas just thinking of someone cutting that area of my skull.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2017, 07:46:31 PM »
I know you didn't ask to look like a male model. But I just do a 'security check' just in case that's the motivation.

Don't even think of even asking a doctor to accommodate a request to 'look more like a male model'.  It just attracts predatory advice where they will NEVER tell the patient outright that there is no f*cking way they're going to be looking like a male model. They will just be looking for some 'employment opportunity' they can do.

Case in point. Check this out.
https://www.realself.com/question/chiseled-and-hollow-cheeks-like-male-model

A photo is put up on real self where the person putting it up (probably someonejust f**king around with someone elses photo)  wants to know how he can get the chiseled cheeks that models have. Not even one of the doctors even tells him, there is NO WAY IN HELL he will ever look like a male model. They just DISREGARD the OBVIOUS and just tell him what cheek implants can do or suggest more things. None of which will EVER make the guy look like a model.

Moral of the story is that there are PREDETORS out there, especially going after the ones who want to look like models.  They can be doctors. They can be that little s**t banned from here duping people on 'Lookism' to buy services from his consulting biz.

Again, I know you did not say you wanted to look like a model. BUT that's why I ALWAYS check. It's because there are predators out ther preying on people that are getting stuff just to 'look like a model'.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »
They aren't all bad all of the time.

https://www.realself.com/question/cheek-implants-create-masculine-cheekbones

They NEVER tell the person wanting implants or bi max or what ever 'to look like a male model' that what the male models have that no one else is going to BUY is the EYES.

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »
It's a good policy. 
Notice how the first 3 PS don't really even acknowledge him on a personal level. It's more just a check-off run down list of what "cheek implants" are/do, rather than what they might do for him.
Then the last PS swoops down like a vulture offering cheek, jaw, rhino, chin...surprised he didn't throw a boob job in for good measure.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
It's a good policy. 
Notice how the first 3 PS don't really even acknowledge him on a personal level. It's more just a check-off run down list of what "cheek implants" are/do, rather than what they might do for him.
Then the last PS swoops down like a vulture offering cheek, jaw, rhino, chin...surprised he didn't throw a boob job in for good measure.

BINGO.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »
They NEVER tell the person wanting implants or bi max or what ever 'to look like a male model' that what the male models have that no one else is going to BUY is the EYES.
Well, it's a business. I do wonder how such busy experts have so much time to spend online. You're correct about the eyes. IMO the great jaw surgery before and afters are often just that - someone with great eyes which were overshadowed by their dentofacial deformity.
Fwiw, surgeons privately will tell you that they hate it when someone brings photos of models or other people to the consult - "these people are never happy".

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2017, 09:11:22 PM »
Well, it's a business. I do wonder how such busy experts have so much time to spend online. You're correct about the eyes. IMO the great jaw surgery before and afters are often just that - someone with great eyes which were overshadowed by their dentofacial deformity.
Fwiw, surgeons privately will tell you that they hate it when someone brings photos of models or other people to the consult - "these people are never happy".

Yes. It's a business  and they are looking for profit opportunities. I know the good ones hate it. It's a BRAIN INFARCTION to explain all the other bone relationships precluding them from looking like a male model.

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »
Yeah, would also be a waste of time for most perspective patients. They are just waiting for those magic words, "yes, you may have Angelina's nose". One moment while I get the Genie, I left her in exam room 4 next to my time machine.

I made the mistake of being TOO damn casual about my rhino consult, paid for it. I guess he was going for something aristocratic, have no idea. Guess it could have come out worse if I'd gone in there with a US weekly cutout of some A-lister.
I just wanna hand my profile pics to a team of docs the day of a surgery, blink my eyes with subtlety and mutter "do your worst". Or, "get creative".  Kidding 🤦‍♂️