Author Topic: Are braces required for a BSSO?  (Read 1796 times)

TheDancingQueen

Are braces required for a BSSO?
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
And is having just a BSSO without a lefort or any other surgery common?

Lefortitude

Re: Are braces required for a BSSO?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »
in short, no.  it also dosnt REQUIRE general anesthesia. Prof. Hernandez alfaro has a case on his website of a patient undergoing bsso under local anesthesia and IV sedation

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
There is already a post about this.
PloskoPlus wrote on April 25, 2017
"Due to regional acceletory phenonmenon (teeth want to move fast after the jaws have been moved), probably not a great idea. And arch bars will shred your gums. Both Wolford and Gunson will want you to be in braces."

Adonia

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
There is already a post about this.
PloskoPlus wrote on April 25, 2017
"Due to regional acceletory phenonmenon (teeth want to move fast after the jaws have been moved), probably not a great idea. And arch bars will shred your gums. Both Wolford and Gunson will want you to be in braces."

What about invisilign or permanent retainers/removable retainers. Braces are such ugly and unpleasent way to straighten teeth that Im shocked that I even see people wearing them today when invisilign exists and it works better. What is it about braces that the surgeons recommend to wear braces? Also what are these arch bars you mentioned? If someone just finished invisilign and have perfectly straight teeth would it still be a problem if they dont wear them?

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »
I agree.. I also think it's odd how much ortho diagnosis vary from office to office. First two ortho's offered me Damon braces, "bc it was cutting edge wire technology...blah blah" Went back to my initial ortho, she tells me, "nah, that's absurd, they're just more expensive...and they don't really move teeth faster", said she could do it with Invisalign. Then surgeon told me, "your bite is fine, braces really won't benefit you THAT much".  Guys, can we get on the same page. LoL. I don't have 6-7 k to wash down the pipe.

Wheatsnax

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 03:55:22 AM »
I agree.. I also think it's odd how much ortho diagnosis vary from office to office. First two ortho's offered me Damon braces, "bc it was cutting edge wire technology...blah blah" Went back to my initial ortho, she tells me, "nah, that's absurd, they're just more expensive...and they don't really move teeth faster", said she could do it with Invisalign. Then surgeon told me, "your bite is fine, braces really won't benefit you THAT much".  Guys, can we get on the same page. LoL. I don't have 6-7 k to wash down the pipe.

you working with your ortho post or pre op?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:22:48 AM »
IMO, one has to be on their guard as to members of the dental profession. IMO, a good percentage of their advice resolves to looking for EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES in your mouth. Pecking order is the following:

Dentists. There was a Reader's Digest expose years back where 70% of the dentists suggested 'treatments' the patient did not really need and hence just resolved to looking for employment opportunities in one's mouth. I can't imagine that the percentage would be lower at this point in time.

Orthodontists: Too many concerned ONLY with 'getting the bite right' at the expense of normal aesthetics. Those with CONVEX profile with retrusive lower jaw are especially at risk because the diretion of the braces to get the 'bite right' is in the direction of increased convexity and retrusion. Not to mention they will pluck pre-molars to do so.

SOME max fax surgeons; NOT ALL but ones that actively MARKET to the segment of patient population with NORMATIVE jaw balance but are seeking out the surgery to look 'more like a model'. Max fax docs who advertise and market as to target those with sole focus of 'aesthetics' as to target patients with otherwise normal or good jaw balance.

Keep in mind normative aesthetic balance along with funtionality is the general aim of the surgery. So, it's not a thing where max fax docs who DON'T actively market 'aesthetics' disregard acheiving aesthetic balance. So, don't rule out a max fax who DOESN'T actively target market 'aesthetics' for one who does.

The general 'litmus test' for a max fax in a good capacity to acheive better aesthetics is whether or not he/she is conversant in making appropriate ROTATIONS of the maxilla that also address the best position of the mandible. Some people need CCW (counter clockwise rotation). Others need clockwise. Not everyone needs CCW but a max fax who can rotate in that direction (aside from the the standard CCW for making the long ANTERIOR maxilla shorter for gummy smile) will be in a better position to maximize aesthetics in people who NEED a type of rotation OTHER than just linear advancement.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 11:47:27 AM »
IMO, one has to be on their guard as to members of the dental profession. IMO, a good percentage of their advice resolves to looking for EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES in your mouth. Pecking order is the following:

Dentists. There was a Reader's Digest expose years back where 70% of the dentists suggested 'treatments' the patient did not really need and hence just resolved to looking for employment opportunities in one's mouth. I can't imagine that the percentage would be lower at this point in time.

Orthodontists: Too many concerned ONLY with 'getting the bite right' at the expense of normal aesthetics. Those with CONVEX profile with retrusive lower jaw are especially at risk because the diretion of the braces to get the 'bite right' is in the direction of increased convexity and retrusion. Not to mention they will pluck pre-molars to do so.

SOME max fax surgeons; NOT ALL but ones that actively MARKET to the segment of patient population with NORMATIVE jaw balance but are seeking out the surgery to look 'more like a model'. Max fax docs who advertise and market as to target those with sole focus of 'aesthetics' as to target patients with otherwise normal or good jaw balance.

Keep in mind normative aesthetic balance along with funtionality is the general aim of the surgery. So, it's not a thing where max fax docs who DON'T actively market 'aesthetics' disregard acheiving aesthetic balance. So, don't rule out a max fax who DOESN'T actively target market 'aesthetics' for one who does.

The general 'litmus test' for a max fax in a good capacity to acheive better aesthetics is whether or not he/she is conversant in making appropriate ROTATIONS of the maxilla that also address the best position of the mandible. Some people need CCW (counter clockwise rotation). Others need clockwise. Not everyone needs CCW but a max fax who can rotate in that direction (aside from the the standard CCW for making the long ANTERIOR maxilla shorter for gummy smile) will be in a better position to maximize aesthetics in people who NEED a type of rotation OTHER than just linear advancement.

Great post, and this matches my experience.
Millimeters are miles on the face.