Author Topic: Massive Red Flags regarding Dr Joel Defrancq  (Read 1642 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Massive Red Flags regarding Dr Joel Defrancq
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 01:04:21 PM »
I mean apparently that's a thing in bimax, to remove 4 bicuspids to keep the bite even in the back. Though I presume you're referring to straight up bicuspid removal for standalone orthodontic purposes. There's a big EU doc that augments the cheeks with buccal fat pad... I'm not convinced that produces reliably good results, just based off what I know from here.

Is his name Dr. Viksraitis  from Lithuania?  If so, he doesn't remove it. He displaces it to a higher place where it looks better.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ditterbo

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 05:08:39 PM »
Is his name Dr. Viksraitis  from Lithuania?  If so, he doesn't remove it. He displaces it to a higher place where it looks better.

Alfaro. It's on his website.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 05:13:57 PM »

fuck i wish i had this done instead.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »

Thanx.  Ramirez published about that technique YEARS back. The doc in Lithuania learned it from Ramirez which is why I thought you could have been referring to the Lithuanian doc when you mentioned a doc in Europe doing the technique.

Lestat

ditterbo

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26505707

I mean ... treating a (probable) boney deficiency with buccal fat pad... I don't see why docs would choose this method over the more pervasive fat transfer.

temporeiches13

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 07:13:10 AM »
Hey, so does anyone know what these massive red flags actually were? I tried to pm op but he hasn't responded :(

boyo

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 08:09:50 AM »
In regards to buccal fat removal, I think it can work in the right patient, but I agree, as pointed out in this thread, the cheeks have to be augmented as well. The patient in the link below got a genioplasty/cheek implants/buccal fat removal and later on some jaw implants, and I think it worked out well for her.

Hard to believe the buccal fat removal hate here when seeing this kind of transformation. Holding fat in your cheeks is bad for your looks, especially as a male. There is a reason models have gaunt faces and still ages better then the average jane and joe: bones > fat.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 12:49:29 PM »
Hey, so does anyone know what these massive red flags actually were? I tried to pm op but he hasn't responded :(

If you read his posts, it appears he didn't want the HA paste suggested to him for his cheeks. He had a link to a CT scan where ONE cheek was asymmetrical and I think the doc may have suggested HA paste to help. No idea what he was telling people via PM though.

prometheus

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 12:55:23 PM »
Been away for a while, trying to just get the fuck on with life. I was telling peeps about how he doesn't do the simulations himself, about how his "friendly demeanor" changes after you ask questions he doesn't want to answer, and about how he ducks certain queries, and pressures patients into signing up for the surgeries and assures them to just trust him coz they will like the final result. Anyone had any developments here? Anyone actually had surgery with him?

prometheus

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 12:59:06 PM »
Defrancq wanted to camouflage a fracture that spanned the eyebrow, maxilla, and ZMC with HA paste. Entire side of face depressed and lacking volume. When I asked how the paste was going to fill out areas that didnt have underlying bony support, he got shitty.

Lestat

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 01:08:55 PM »
Defrancq wanted to camouflage a fracture that spanned the eyebrow, maxilla, and ZMC with HA paste. Entire side of face depressed and lacking volume. When I asked how the paste was going to fill out areas that didnt have underlying bony support, he got shitty.

Do you think HA paste is a bad choice for facial augmentation? Why?

prometheus

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 02:35:43 PM »
I'm still unsure about that. From the research I have done, I believe there is a place for HA paste. I also believe it cannot be used effectively in cases like mine. If the underlying bone has moved out of its natural position, sticking paste on top will not resolve the issue. To give an example so as to highlight my point, think of the zygomatic arch, and the whole ZMC. If a fracture has caused the bones to become displaced, adding paste on top is very unlikely to give a symmetric, natural looking result. Say the arch has descended by 5 mm.  Augment that and you will have a bulge in an inappropriate location. IDK if that makes sense, i'm tired, stoned, and on  a phone.

temporeiches13

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 02:37:37 AM »
Interesting. When you say he does not do the simulations himself, does that mean he has an assistant do it or just some random computer program? I suppose when he gets angry at questioning his beliefs its probably just best to remain calm and remind him that you're the one making the final decision and not him. So far the things he said to me were in my eyes reasonable, except I am starting to doubt the use of HA paste as well. We will see how things go.