Author Topic: CCW and chin height  (Read 1360 times)

da_dean

CCW and chin height
« on: October 03, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
Hi!

I'm having a CCW done with bimax and I wanted to ask if any of you know how a ccw impacts the face from the front? Does the chin and the jaw look wider? Because if it does, maybe I can get away with a little more downward genioplasty, rather than horizontal but I have no way of knowing as of now.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: CCW and chin height
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 12:08:46 PM »
Hi!

I'm having a CCW done with bimax and I wanted to ask if any of you know how a ccw impacts the face from the front? Does the chin and the jaw look wider? Because if it does, maybe I can get away with a little more downward genioplasty, rather than horizontal but I have no way of knowing as of now.

I read your prior post. You relay you have a recessive chin and 'steep jaw angle' and you would like your lower jaw to appear WIDER.

One of the objectives of CCW, ( in cases when aesthetic improvement can be achieved that way) is to make LESS steep the angle of inclination of the mandibular plane which I'm assuming you mean that when you say steep 'jaw angle'.

Generally speaking, a sliding genio with movements forward and UP (horizontal and upward vertical vectors of displacement) to address chin recession is added which is consistent with the objective of CCW because it too when added helps to decrease an overly steep angle of the mandibular plane.

Conceptually speaking, when things in the background are brought more toward the foreground, they appear wider.

With regard to the concept behind CCW, someone with a steep mandibular plane getting CCW with the aesthetic objective of making the MP less steep, would most likely need the genio with the displacement vectors consistent with making the MP less steep. Your ponderings of getting a downward genio are inconsistent with this objective and also inconsistent with your wanting your lower jaw (masseter area) to look wider.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

da_dean

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 07:22:05 AM »
I read your prior post. You relay you have a recessive chin and 'steep jaw angle' and you would like your lower jaw to appear WIDER.

One of the objectives of CCW, ( in cases when aesthetic improvement can be achieved that way) is to make LESS steep the angle of inclination of the mandibular plane which I'm assuming you mean that when you say steep 'jaw angle'.

Generally speaking, a sliding genio with movements forward and UP (horizontal and upward vertical vectors of displacement) to address chin recession is added which is consistent with the objective of CCW because it too when added helps to decrease an overly steep angle of the mandibular plane.

Conceptually speaking, when things in the background are brought more toward the foreground, they appear wider.

With regard to the concept behind CCW, someone with a steep mandibular plane getting CCW with the aesthetic objective of making the MP less steep, would most likely need the genio with the displacement vectors consistent with making the MP less steep. Your ponderings of getting a downward genio are inconsistent with this objective and also inconsistent with your wanting your lower jaw (masseter area) to look wider.

Thank You for your reply!

I read as many reliable sources as I could find, and I have a good general understanding on the topic of the whole jaw surgery, however I do not know every single possible movement, and the impact they make on appearance, this is why my train of thought may seem inconsistent. Chin height is not that big of an issue, because when I seal my lips as they should be, the chin appears longer (but still weak, which is the reason I hold my jaw a little forward, thus my lips are not sealed at the point they should).

The reason I asked this question is because you modify so many things with one movement, and I was trying to grasp the concept here. Thank you, for you reply, it helped a lot.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 11:57:02 AM »
Thank You for your reply!

I read as many reliable sources as I could find, and I have a good general understanding on the topic of the whole jaw surgery, however I do not know every single possible movement, and the impact they make on appearance, this is why my train of thought may seem inconsistent. Chin height is not that big of an issue, because when I seal my lips as they should be, the chin appears longer (but still weak, which is the reason I hold my jaw a little forward, thus my lips are not sealed at the point they should).

The reason I asked this question is because you modify so many things with one movement, and I was trying to grasp the concept here. Thank you, for you reply, it helped a lot.

A lot of the concepts in maxfax surgery and inter-relationships are geometrical... you know... points, lines, planes, angles of inclination, rotation of angles, etc. Basic observational skills that are there to observe, all through one's life, also apply to concepts in max fax, eg. things( or a part of one thing) closer to the foreground (eye of the viewer) will appear larger than things (or the part of one thing) further away.

Extremely fundamental and basic observational skills, IMO, are important in understanding some of the displacement proposals in maxfax. Best to hone those and understanding this stuff should become easier for you.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.