Author Topic: Polarityte Inc / BioTech Discussion  (Read 5044 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Polarityte Inc / BioTech Discussion
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2017, 07:11:53 PM »
Definitely not an investor, don't know enough about it.

I've been looking into bone/tissue advancements.  After jaw surgery, my teeth and gums in particular have black triangles/bone loss.  I also looked into fat grafting for a couple years because of the embarrassment being so gaunt (particularly in the face) has caused me.  I've come to the conclusion that the current treatment modalities are fairly arcane.  Grafting in general is just very unpredictable, as well as being highly limited in where it can treat (resulting in only a partial correction).

I have a few companies I've been following, this one popped up several months ago and is going to human trials.  If you have any others that I don't know about, I'm definitely interested!

Not an investor either. Years back, I used to get invited to dr. vacanti's talks on tissue regeneration.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ditterbo

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »
That's me, you, and Lazlo at the least.

It's bad how that happens. I think it's mostly the orthodontics, and they don't tell you this going into it. I really hope they can regrow bone/papilla within the next decade. The George Bush years were really lean for stem cell based BioTech because he had to pretend to be against stem cells to keep certain voters. Stem Cell behavior and technology are pretty amazing.

This seems kind of common? Of all the things I've heard so far, that probably concerns me the most.  Maybe for me its surgery first or bust. A somewhat more natural profile for a janky gum line doesn't seem worth the trade off when I'm all in just for aesthetics & hoping my lower lip works again. I'll stop smiling instead b/c I don't want to show my teeth roots, so essentially back to where I am now.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:23:42 PM by ditterbo »

PloskoPlus

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2017, 07:30:18 PM »
That's me, you, and Lazlo at the least.

It's bad how that happens. I think it's mostly the orthodontics, and they don't tell you this going into it. I really hope they can regrow bone/papilla within the next decade. The George Bush years were really lean for stem cell based BioTech because he had to pretend to be against stem cells to keep certain voters. Stem Cell behavior and technology are pretty amazing.

Yeah my gums took a beating as well. They warn you about root resorption, which AFAIK is not common, but not about gum recession, which I think happens far more often.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 07:43:26 PM »
This seems kind of common? Of all the things I've heard so far, that probably concerns me the most.  Maybe for me its surgery first or bust. A somewhat more natural profile for a janky gum line doesn't seem worth the trade off when I'm all in just for aesthetics & hoping my lower lip works again. I'll stop smiling instead b/c I don't want to show my teeth roots, so essentially back to where I am now.

Well my teeth roots aren't showing, but if you're an adult and get ortho, you're going to lose papilla and maybe bone. They don't tell you that. It's criminal.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

jusken

• Private
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
Well my teeth roots aren't showing, but if you're an adult and get ortho, you're going to lose papilla and maybe bone. They don't tell you that. It's criminal.

This is probably true in most cases, yes.  Thinking pessimistically, if even a third of their adult patients end up with good results (aka not enough visible bone loss), they have plenty of ideal results to show off.  This is how I think now haha - I'm just waiting for a paradigm shift in treatment options, because the current stuff makes me sick!

On the bright side, tech companies like Google have a huge surplus of unspent earnings every year that they can dump into Biotech/AI - so those things are next on the list.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:47 PM »
This is probably true in most cases, yes.  Thinking pessimistically, if even a third of their adult patients end up with good results (aka not enough visible bone loss), they have plenty of ideal results to show off.  This is how I think now haha - I'm just waiting for a paradigm shift in treatment options, because the current stuff makes me sick!

On the bright side, tech companies like Google have a huge surplus of unspent earnings every year that they can dump into Biotech/AI - so those things are next on the list.

Is Google dumping anything into BioTech? They are with AI, but never heard of them getting involved with BioTech.
Much of their surplus earnings are off-shore in Countries where they can't reinvest it, too.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »
Is Google dumping anything into BioTech? They are with AI, but never heard of them getting involved with BioTech.
Much of their surplus earnings are off-shore in Countries where they can't reinvest it, too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_(company)

jusken

• Private
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 09:23:13 PM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_(company)

For some reason your link is broken for me.

But yeah, they started this company in 2013 under their restructuring.  Unfortunately it was really secretive for many years until just around January of this year (If I recall correctly) when they held some press conferences.  Mostly it focuses on age related diseases, but they have put a couple billion into it now if I'm not mistaken.  If Ray Kurzweil has any say in it, they might even be working on age reversal haha...  but that's a whole different discussion.