Author Topic: Are braces required for a BSSO?  (Read 219 times)

TheDancingQueen

Are braces required for a BSSO?
« on: September 25, 2017, 02:38:57 PM »
And is having just a BSSO without a lefort or any other surgery common?

Lefortitude

Re: Are braces required for a BSSO?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »
in short, no.  it also dosnt REQUIRE general anesthesia. Prof. Hernandez alfaro has a case on his website of a patient undergoing bsso under local anesthesia and IV sedation

XXRyanXXL

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
There is already a post about this.
PloskoPlus wrote on April 25, 2017
"Due to regional acceletory phenonmenon (teeth want to move fast after the jaws have been moved), probably not a great idea. And arch bars will shred your gums. Both Wolford and Gunson will want you to be in braces."

Adonia

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:15:08 PM »
There is already a post about this.
PloskoPlus wrote on April 25, 2017
"Due to regional acceletory phenonmenon (teeth want to move fast after the jaws have been moved), probably not a great idea. And arch bars will shred your gums. Both Wolford and Gunson will want you to be in braces."

What about invisilign or permanent retainers/removable retainers. Braces are such ugly and unpleasent way to straighten teeth that Im shocked that I even see people wearing them today when invisilign exists and it works better. What is it about braces that the surgeons recommend to wear braces? Also what are these arch bars you mentioned? If someone just finished invisilign and have perfectly straight teeth would it still be a problem if they dont wear them?

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:18 AM »
I agree.. I also think it's odd how much ortho diagnosis vary from office to office. First two ortho's offered me Damon braces, "bc it was cutting edge wire technology...blah blah" Went back to my initial ortho, she tells me, "nah, that's absurd, they're just more expensive...and they don't really move teeth faster", said she could do it with Invisalign. Then surgeon told me, "your bite is fine, braces really won't benefit you THAT much".  Guys, can we get on the same page. LoL. I don't have 6-7 k to wash down the pipe.