Author Topic: Wisdom teeth extraction permanent sensory nerve damage risk and sg questions  (Read 2420 times)

Jilkster

Anyone know the numbers on this?

Also any opinions on the viability of combining wisdom teeth extractions in one go with a sliding genioplasty?

Also who would be considered the top doctors globally to do a sliding genioplasty?

Framboise

I'm not sure I've understood your first question.
About WT extraction, it's better to do this 4 monthes before surgery. My bf has his 4 WT pulled in one time and said to me it was awful because the effects of the anaesthesia (anaestesia's effects ?) has stopped before all his teeth had been removed.
I think 2 by 2 is a better option because an extraction is traumatic.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Anyone know the numbers on this?

Also any opinions on the viability of combining wisdom teeth extractions in one go with a sliding genioplasty?

Also who would be considered the top doctors globally to do a sliding genioplasty?

If these questions are about you or what you should do, best to post your ceph. Last I remember looking at your ceph, you did not appear to be a bi-max candidate. Wisdom teeth, in particular the LOWER need to be extracted 6 months before a BSSO. They don't need to be extracted for a genio. People with LARGE jaws and FULLY erupted WT who are NOT getting a BSSO, can usually KEEP their WT. They make the most problems in people with the small jaws.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Jilkster

If these questions are about you or what you should do, best to post your ceph. Last I remember looking at your ceph, you did not appear to be a bi-max candidate. Wisdom teeth, in particular the LOWER need to be extracted 6 months before a BSSO. They don't need to be extracted for a genio. People with LARGE jaws and FULLY erupted WT who are NOT getting a BSSO, can usually KEEP their WT. They make the most problems in people with the small jaws.

The extraction of lower wisdom teeth is something my dentist wants me to do, if I recall correctly it is because there are cavities forming in them.

My lower wisdom teeth poke through slightly.

Here is my ceph:

Here is why I am considering genio(clickable for full size):

Biting down molars:

Biting down incisors:

Toothy smile:

Profile while talking:

Profile while not talking:

Basal view:

I think my mandibular asymmetry is fairly significant, but doesn't extend into my bite a lot. Chin wing seems a rather specialized procedure only performed by a few docs, with little longterm history. Implant infection risks scare me. This is why I was considering genio to add a little height, a little projection and improve symmetry of the front of the mandible.

Input very welcome.

kavan

• Global Moderator
The extraction of lower wisdom teeth is something my dentist wants me to do, if I recall correctly it is because there are cavities forming in them.

My lower wisdom teeth poke through slightly.

Here is my ceph:

Here is why I am considering genio(clickable for full size):

Biting down molars:

Biting down incisors:

Toothy smile:

Profile while talking:

Profile while not talking:

Basal view:

I think my mandibular asymmetry is fairly significant, but doesn't extend into my bite a lot. Chin wing seems a rather specialized procedure only performed by a few docs, with little longterm history. Implant infection risks scare me. This is why I was considering genio to add a little height, a little projection and improve symmetry of the front of the mandible.

Input very welcome.

maybe find someone who will fill them. wait till they really bother you for the extraction.  you don't need bsso.

Jilkster

maybe find someone who will fill them. wait till they really bother you for the extraction.  you don't need bsso.

Thoughts on me getting genio and my asymmetry in general?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Thoughts on me getting genio and my asymmetry in general?
You're fine.

Framboise

I agree with Kavan, you're fine.
Each extraction represents a risk of infection, nerve damages...
I don't understand your dentist idea : if he removes the lower WT, he has to remove the upper WT too. Without a tooth below, they will go down.
I have my both upper WT removed for a small cavity in one of them and it was a huge mistake.
Cavities can be fill, whatever the tooth. You can even have a root canal on a WT.
So keep your WT, your jaw line and your adult's mouth (having a mouth of a 12 years old is not fun), and find someone to fill your cavity.

If your chin bothers you, you can have a genio without removing any teeth.

kavan

• Global Moderator
If you are taking EXTREME facial postures with un even lighting that one usually does not make and doing so to show your asymmetry, it might not be that bad at all. Asymmetry is best looked at in a neutral front face posture with the light source shining directly in front in order to determine if source of it is at the chin or to the jaw and/or how obvious it is normal everyday postures.

kavan

• Global Moderator
While we are on this topic, has anyone had their WT extracted by a street dentist in India?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoBYttpiqg8

Jilkster

If you are taking EXTREME facial postures with un even lighting that one usually does not make and doing so to show your asymmetry, it might not be that bad at all. Asymmetry is best looked at in a neutral front face posture with the light source shining directly in front in order to determine if source of it is at the chin or to the jaw and/or how obvious it is normal everyday postures.

I think the basal view is pretty informative.

Do these qualify, then? I look pretty different from my left side compared to my right side, and much of this is due to the mandibular asymmetry, I feel. My right gonial is substantially lower, and my chin is quite off center, as far as I can tell.

kavan

• Global Moderator
I think the basal view is pretty informative.

Do these qualify, then? I look pretty different from my left side compared to my right side, and much of this is due to the mandibular asymmetry, I feel. My right gonial is substantially lower, and my chin is quite off center, as far as I can tell.

Your photos show asymmetry BUT it's going through multiple places in the photo. That is to say if I draw a horizontal through multiple areas of your face and neck, I don't get a perfect horizont.

It could be the POSE or it could be coming from ELSEWHERE. It's very COMMON for people to have selfie poses to exaggerate asymmetry OR just common to not get pose exact enough.  Seek evaluation for the EXACT extent of it and where it's coming from from a max fax who can set you are EXACT position to evaluate and where the FULL face shows.

Jilkster

Your photos show asymmetry BUT it's going through multiple places in the photo. That is to say if I draw a horizontal through multiple areas of your face and neck, I don't get a perfect horizont.

It could be the POSE or it could be coming from ELSEWHERE. It's very COMMON for people to have selfie poses to exaggerate asymmetry OR just common to not get pose exact enough.  Seek evaluation for the EXACT extent of it and where it's coming from from a max fax who can set you are EXACT position to evaluate and where the FULL face shows.

What do you think of this one? This is from my passport pic, so certain standards of straightness were maintained.

Note: my skin is quite good, those things are nasolabial fold injection sites from getting filler the day before.

kavan

• Global Moderator

What do you think of this one? This is from my passport pic, so certain standards of straightness were maintained.

Note: my skin is quite good, those things are nasolabial fold injection sites from getting filler the day before.

Asymmetry is MINOR. You really need a MEDICAL posing with FULL face to determine WHERE the asymmetry is coming from. Some people see the asymmetry to the jaw/chin but ultimately it might originate ELSEWHERE like the orbital FLOOR which is the maxilla.  When they get it fixed they THEN see asymmetry where they never noticed it before. That's why you need MEDICAL photos and evaluation to evaluate extent of it. i can't do that for you here and I hope you'r not a BDD-er.

Jilkster

Asymmetry is MINOR. You really need a MEDICAL posing with FULL face to determine WHERE the asymmetry is coming from. Some people see the asymmetry to the jaw/chin but ultimately it might originate ELSEWHERE like the orbital FLOOR which is the maxilla.  When they get it fixed they THEN see asymmetry where they never noticed it before. That's why you need MEDICAL photos and evaluation to evaluate extent of it. i can't do that for you here and I hope you'r not a BDD-er.

I'm not at all bothered by my frontal asymmetry. I've always felt generally happy with my face in pics slightly from the right all the way to right profile, and unhappy with the entire other side. I'd like to better understand why that is, and if it's fixable without anything too major, fix it.