Author Topic: do you have to have your wisdom teeth removed for jaw surgery?  (Read 2753 times)

holly98

do you have to have your wisdom teeth removed for jaw surgery?
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:30:49 AM »
Heyyy,
so I'm due to have jaw surgery in December 2017 or Janurary 2018 and I still have my wisdom teeth...my surgeon said she will take them out at the same time as my double jaw surgery.
BUuuttttt I really dont want to have teeth removed... I already had a dentist take out four of my teeth during my orthodontic treatment which led to my face looking sunken in...which is why I decided to have jaw surgery in the first place.  I dont want to spend more money and time ruining my face in the process of trying to fix it by taking out MORE teeth.  I've heard about and SEEN the negative aesthetic affects of teeth removal... plus the risk of infection and jaw bone reabsorption...which I just do not need in my life anymore :'(!
Anyways has anyone here had jaw surgery and kept their precious wisdom teeth as well?
Would lovvveeee to kno
:)
<3 thanks

tdawg

• Private
Re: do you have to have your wisdom teeth removed for jaw surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:18:47 AM »
I did not have my taken out but my surgeon wants them out at some point in the future. The problems you listed are really complications of bicuspid extractions. Wisdom teeth extractions dont really lead to facial changes(they are all the way in the back and your entire arch isnt going to move backwards to close that space)

Framboise

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:57:43 AM »
Wisdom teeth extractions dont really lead to facial changes(they are all the way in the back and your entire arch isnt going to move backwards to close that space)

Maybe you ignore that back molars support facial height and cheek bones.  :)

Holly98 : your case is complicated. I know a girl Carrieb who decided to replace her bicuspid by dental implants (reopening the space).
I saw another girl on Youtube who has jaw surgery instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyVPQ0AloTs&list=PLIdKcimcsYGGrPrPnJho3j9z73UgFHS1q&index=1

I don't know if your TMJ will tolerate new extractions plus a surgery....
Do you have sleep apnea ?

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »
Your third molars usually arent going to impact your facial height. They usually dont erupt more than the 2nd molars(hence it would be the 2nd or 1st molars that determine that). Given their position I cant imagine the third molars having a noticeable impact on cheek support. Even aesthetic grandmasters like Gunson routinely recommend having the third molars extracted. Where you start having problems is if you have 1st or 2nd molars extracted or bicuspids.

Framboise

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
I noticed on Dr Defrancq Website that he kept sometimes upper WT when he did JUST a Lefort 1.
For a BSSO, WT have to be removed afaik.
Ask for a second opinion.
It would be preferable to have "just" a sunken face than having health issue due to more extractions or to surgery (as TMJ disorder for example).

Here's a girl who had jaw surgery and 8 teeth removed (bicuspid + WT). I think she looks OLD even with tons of make up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb7s4fMq-8c&t=2s

Framboise

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »
Your third molars usually arent going to impact your facial height. They usually dont erupt more than the 2nd molars(hence it would be the 2nd or 1st molars that determine that). Given their position I cant imagine the third molars having a noticeable impact on cheek support. Even aesthetic grandmasters like Gunson routinely recommend having the third molars extracted. Where you start having problems is if you have 1st or 2nd molars extracted or bicuspids.

Each case is different, truth is it narrows everyone's face. Bone loss will occur for everyone with more or less aesthetical repercussion.
In my case WT removal leads to a sunken face in few monthes instead of a few years.
I still don't kow exactly why : small teeth, (especially WT same size as a bicuspid), headgear,  very high WT, TMJ weakness, overjet, class 2...

Anyway I believe that people who keep there WT age well (like Latina people). It's my theory I don't have proof but looking at celebrities who had publicly pulled their WT, I can see effects on their looks. And on my brother too. He looks less attractive.

WT are routinely extracted, it has became a part of our culture vut I think the mentality has to change.

http://www.vivawoman.net/2013/09/removing-wisdom-tooth-changed-face-shape/

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 11:37:57 AM »
Each case is different, truth is it narrows everyone's face. Bone loss will occur for everyone with more or less aesthetical repercussion.
In my case WT removal leads to a sunken face in few monthes instead of a few years.
I still don't kow exactly why : small teeth, (especially WT same size as a bicuspid), headgear,  very high WT, TMJ weakness, overjet, class 2...

Anyway I believe that people who keep there WT age well (like Latina people). It's my theory I don't have proof but looking at celebrities who had publicly pulled their WT, I can see effects on their looks. And on my brother too. He looks less attractive.

WT are routinely extracted, it has became a part of our culture vut I think the mentality has to change.

http://www.vivawoman.net/2013/09/removing-wisdom-tooth-changed-face-shape/

Here's the thing: People with LARGE jaws/BIG bone structure, you gave the example of 'Latina' have enough ROOM for the WT to stay there and to orient themselves where they can be self cared for. Even when they get older, they STILL might have enough room in the jaw to keep them even with jaw shrinkage with age. So, it's the BIG bone structure in people who have such that allows the WT to stay there. I've seen X rays of this where the jaw bone is like a pit bull, big and strong and plenty of room to bite. The rest of us with the smaller bone structure are not so lucky as there is not enough room in the jaw for the WT to stay there and/or their orientation subjects them to cavities/infections.

So, the matter is whether or not someone CAN or CAN NOT keep the WT. I don't think that people with the small bone structure can keep them as they will act up sooner or later.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 11:40:21 AM »
I noticed on Dr Defrancq Website that he kept sometimes upper WT when he did JUST a Lefort 1.
For a BSSO, WT have to be removed afaik.
Ask for a second opinion.
It would be preferable to have "just" a sunken face than having health issue due to more extractions or to surgery (as TMJ disorder for example).

Here's a girl who had jaw surgery and 8 teeth removed (bicuspid + WT). I think she looks OLD even with tons of make up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb7s4fMq-8c&t=2s

WT need to be removed for a BSSO due to the cut. They don't need to be removed for the Lefort 1.

Framboise

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 11:30:08 PM »
I have jaw expansion and small WT fully erupted.
There were not extracted for a lack of room or something like this.
Don't you think that keeping WT help to maintain large jaws ?
A long as you bite with them, bone is fabricated. If you remove them you aggravate the situation (6 mm or more without bone on each side).

I have big holes behind my upper molars and I hate feeling it.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 07:39:15 AM »
I have jaw expansion and small WT fully erupted.
There were not extracted for a lack of room or something like this.
Don't you think that keeping WT help to maintain large jaws ?
A long as you bite with them, bone is fabricated. If you remove them you aggravate the situation (6 mm or more without bone on each side).

I have big holes behind my upper molars and I hate feeling it.

It's the other way around: Large jaws help maintain the WT.