Author Topic: Double jaw surgery mm  (Read 11846 times)

mazilla

Double jaw surgery mm
« on: October 20, 2017, 02:16:28 PM »
These are the numbers for my double jaw surgery for an overbite. What do you guys think?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Double jaw surgery mm
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »
These are the numbers for my double jaw surgery for an overbite. What do you guys think?

What kind of response are you expecting with a bunch of numbers and no visual information?
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:58:10 PM »
I just want to know wether those numbers are super high or not. I don't even understand well those numbers but looks like almost 2 cm advancement, isn't that huge?

Looks like about 1 cm for maxilla and 2cm for mandible. It would correspond to someone needing a LARGE advancement. You would have to post a PROFILE shot (ceph) for someone to eyeball an approximation relative to the proposal.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 11:59:50 AM »
I had this surgery done already. I just think my maxilla and jaw were moved forward too much, so now I don't look like myself or my family anymore. My surgeon says I just need time to adapt, but surgery was 2 years ago. I think that 1 cm maxilla and 2 cm jaw movement is just crazy, they should warn people before making such huge advancements that they won't look like themselves anymore. I am considering a revision surgery.

I would like to talk to people that are stuck in the same situation as me.

That or just perhaps people could inquire for feedback  BEFORE the surgery WHEN the numbers are proposals .

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 03:33:36 PM »
They gave me those numbers the day before surgery, and because I asked him, we would have given me nothing otherwise. I did not have a proper proposal from the doctor, he just said that I needed double jaw surgery due to an overbite and sleep apnea. I just trusted him. I guess I f**ked up with that. You meant asking for feedback on this forum, right? People would have probably said those numbers are awesome, because most people here complain about their surgeons having advanced too little...

To be honest I didn't even know that I needed a proposal. I visited 4 different surgeons and all 4 of them said the same thing: you need double jaw surgery. The thing is that the surgeon I chose decided to advance my face like a maniac. I never imagined that my face would change SO much. In all the before and afters I had seen on his website, people look pretty much like the same person, just better. In my case the advancement was so huge that some people don't recognize me and I am having a lot of trouble getting used to this face, and not looking like my family anymore.

Yes, I meant asking for feedback from this forum. Intelligent people would have asked to SEE a ceph at least for aesthetic feedback regarding the extent of the advancement to both jaws even if you had no numbers.

NOW that you relay you had sleep APNEA which you did not share prior, that changes the equation and explains why you may have had MORE advancement than you would like. They have to advance however much is needed to give the air way plenty of room which is some cases, ends up being more advancement than it would be if you didn't have apnea.

Framboise

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »
Here is a review regarding a Lefort 1 revision surgery.

The girl complains about her lip : sad expression causing by the set back of the upper jaw.

I don't know if it happens systematically but, be careful.

https://www.realself.com/review/portland-orthognathic-surgery-advise-lefort-double-jaw-surgery-lefort-revision?tags=8087&rating=unsure&offset=2&sle=0

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »
I understand, but maybe with less advancement I would have had enough room to breath right? My sleep apnea was moderate.

What is considered enough room? That is pretty relative right? Also, could it be that the surgeon overcorrected in case there was a relapse in the future? Does that happen? Im 30 btw.

I just feel that was way too much advancement and I don't recognize myself. Would it be wise to do a revision surgery to move back everything a little so that I feel like myself again?

I DON'T know and how could I know HOW MUCH room you needed for your airway to have the space it needed??? What info very SPECIFIC to YOU do you think I would have (like a ceph) to know this??? What I know is the GENERAL info which is that when APNEA is a key factor, they sometimes need to move in EXCESS of that they would otherwise move if one didn't have the apnea. Also, double jaw surgery, except for die hard narcissists or BDD types who would get it just for a few millimeters that no one else would notice, is rarely a subtle change and mostly a DRAMATIC one even for those who don't get it for apnea.

Although I know a LOT about aesthetics, such knowledge is neither here nor there in the absence of any visual information of a person inquiring about aesthetics.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 06:32:09 PM »
Thanks Kavan.

Of course I know you wouldn't know how much advancement I needed.

I know double jaw surgery is usually a big change, but 2 cm??? I haven't seen anyone here getting 2 cm advancement. I feel like with maybe 1 or 1,5 cm he would have opened my airway just enough and I probably wouldn't look so different. 1 cm is already a lot isn't it? 2 cm seems crazy to me.

I feel like my jaw is where an underbite jaw would be, just that I don't have an underbite because he also moved my maxilla to match that movement. Also my jaw line looks like the jaw line of a person with an underbite...

It's a significant advancement. But I can't tell you if it's right or wrong for the medical condition it was done for. But i understand it's too much for you aesthetically and personally.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 06:58:05 AM »
Thanks for your understanding Kavan.

My surgeon either does not understand it or doesn't want to admit he made a mistake.

Now, do you think considering a revision to move my maxilla and jaw a little backwards (only if my airway would not be compromised) is reasonable, or since I don't have any complications and my airway is now open I should forget about it due to the magnitude of the surgery and its potential complications?

The conservative choice is the latter, keep as is. Maybe it looks good from the perspective of other people who don't know you. Might not be a bad idea to take some time off and go somewhere where NO ONE knows you and see if you get a good reception based on new appearance.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 12:59:44 PM »
I do get a good reception from people that didn't know me before surgery, and they don't think that my jaw is too much forward. Only myself, my family and friends believe that.

But getting a good reception from people I don't know doesn't make me feel any better about me not looking like myself and my jaw being too much forward to the point that I can't shave my beard. With beard it looks fine, but when I shave its when I look weird: bimax protrusion, underbite jawline... Its like the beard gives shape to my face, but the shape is awkward with no beard, like an underbite with matching maxilla. I don't know if Im explaining it well.

Am I not going to be able to shave ever? I don't feel good with that...

Well, then it probably looks good to other people and maybe better than prior. i think you just have to get used to it.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 02:38:26 PM »
Can you post some pictures (x out your eyes, etc) or at least a tracing?

It's hard to say much without seeing it.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 02:47:37 AM »
I'm kind of in a similar boat. I was class iii before surgery,  just a 6 mm maxillary advancement changed my profile from concave to convex. It just looks "wrong". My upper lip, maxilla now dominate my face. Facial hair is my only recourse. Unfortunately it makes my paraesthesia 10 times worse.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
Kavan and GJ, I can send you guys a pic in a PM

Can't speak for GJ. But as a general rule of thumb, mods have a lot on their plate (board chores to keep order etc.) and/or like the aesthetic commentary/advice etc. to be in the open venue unless the member is approved to be on the private section of the board.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 05:16:49 PM »
How can I be approved to be on the private section?

Usually a good track record of posting history, being a known person where the mod knows you well enough and a donation.

ditterbo

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 12:13:53 PM »
There's really not much harm in putting up a profile shot for a few days, black out however much you want.