Author Topic: are there any surgeons in canada that are as good as american ones?  (Read 4724 times)

ettubrute

i'm speaking aesthetic wise

it seems surgeons in canada are not concerned with the aesthetic part of jaw surgery very much. they seem to be only concerned with functional results. personally, my surgeon only recommended lower jaw surgery. meanwhile i have incompetent lips, open bite, recessed maxilla and mandible, convex facial profile, dorsal hump, and sleep apnea. i look on other surgeon's websites in canada and they rarely have before after pictures or talk about the aesthetic part of the surgery. their websites dont look impressive at all

meanwhile in america, there are surgeons like A&G and antipov that have fantastic before and after pictures, address aesthetics, and have well done websites

Lefortitude

Re: are there any surgeons in canada that are as good as american ones?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 02:41:30 PM »
nope. not even close.  mostly for the reason that we dont monetize things like americans do.   We simply have a tiny population (1/10th) compared to the US, and you simply dont need that many surgeons per capita. 

ettubrute

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 04:47:34 PM »
nope. not even close.  mostly for the reason that we dont monetize things like americans do.   We simply have a tiny population (1/10th) compared to the US, and you simply dont need that many surgeons per capita.

yeah i figured the canadian system was decentivizing this type of work

i wouldnt say population size is a big issue because theres surgeons like micro raffaini whom lives in italy (60 million people) and has amazing results

Lefortitude

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »
yeah i figured the canadian system was decentivizing this type of work

i wouldnt say population size is a big issue because theres surgeons like micro raffaini whom lives in italy (60 million people) and has amazing results

thats very different.  consider his population basis to be the European union (510 million).  since its only a few hours to him with no passport check from anywhere within the EU.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 10:48:58 PM »
nope, not even close. if you want a straightforward jaw surgery Caminetti, Tocchio, Stephen HO might will be fine. Complex case forget about it. And anyone who suggestes only one jaw surgery is bonkers.

ettubrute

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:24:02 AM »
nope, not even close. if you want a straightforward jaw surgery Caminetti, Tocchio, Stephen HO might will be fine. Complex case forget about it. And anyone who suggestes only one jaw surgery is bonkers.

i'm pretty poor. would you recommend i take a surgeon in canada, or do you think it would be worth it to save up for years and get an american surgeon?

i have long face syndrome and want MMA with CCW

stephen HO seems like a good option for me

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
i'm pretty poor. would you recommend i take a surgeon in canada, or do you think it would be worth it to save up for years and get an american surgeon?

i have long face syndrome and want MMA with CCW

stephen HO seems like a good option for me

Avoid assuming that US surgeons are the only ones in the capacity to perform the appropriate rotations of the maxilla in order to acheive what ever rotations the mandible would be in better balance, in this case CCW. Although Gunson is a US max fax and has a good rep for acheiving nice aesthetics, his capacities don't reflect all US max fax docs.

A better way to express what you want is; 'BI-MAX with CCW'. The term; 'MMA' is often associated with just linear advancement of both jaws in same amount for sleep apnea.

With no ceph or photo, there is no way to eyeball what you might need with what you say you want. However, capacity to perform bi-max WITH CCW is a good indicator to ask if a doc has.

Your best bet for now is to consult with doctors closer to home and not rule them out due to an assumption that US docs are 'only' ones in capacity to fix.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

CCW

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
Tocchio does CCW, and his results are good. You can easily find blogs by his patients via Google.

lamb

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 05:20:18 PM »
I am from Toronto.  Tocchio and Ho both do CCW I believe.  Another good one I have heard of is Wittenberg in Vancouver.  Dr Fialkov did a nice job on my friend.  i was thinking about seeing Gunson, but like when all said and done i don't know if i can spend like 150 grand Canadian.  yikes.

I'm now looking for a zygomatic osteotomy and it doesn't look like that's done here unfortunately.

ettubrute

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 10:13:11 PM »
Avoid assuming that US surgeons are the only ones in the capacity to perform the appropriate rotations of the maxilla in order to acheive what ever rotations the mandible would be in better balance, in this case CCW. Although Gunson is a US max fax and has a good rep for acheiving nice aesthetics, his capacities don't reflect all US max fax docs.

A better way to express what you want is; 'BI-MAX with CCW'. The term; 'MMA' is often associated with just linear advancement of both jaws in same amount for sleep apnea.

With no ceph or photo, there is no way to eyeball what you might need with what you say you want. However, capacity to perform bi-max WITH CCW is a good indicator to ask if a doc has.

Your best bet for now is to consult with doctors closer to home and not rule them out due to an assumption that US docs are 'only' ones in capacity to fix.

good news, i talked with my ortho and he said my surgeon does CCW. he also confirmed i have long face syndrome. i guess i'll take my chances locally then

lamb

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 10:36:38 PM »
who is your surgeon?

emanresu

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 05:11:36 PM »
I am from Toronto.  Tocchio and Ho both do CCW I believe.

Does Caminiti not do CCW?

Also I'm in the same boat, but I'm doing a paper consult with Gunson just to confirm if I need extractions. Then I'll be picking between Tocchio, Ho, or Caminiti.

Lefortitude

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 10:28:39 PM »
Does Caminiti not do CCW?

Also I'm in the same boat, but I'm doing a paper consult with Gunson just to confirm if I need extractions. Then I'll be picking between Tocchio, Ho, or Caminiti.

In from toronto and if i was to get a bimax locally (which i wouldent) id go with tocchio.

emanresu

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 10:03:51 AM »
In from toronto and if i was to get a bimax locally (which i wouldent) id go with tocchio.

Lefortitude, any reason why you'd pick Tocchio over Caminiti? Realistically, it was down to these two for me (haven't even met with Ho yet).

Having met both Tocchio and Caminiti, I was honestly leaning towards Caminiti, he really seemed to care about aesthetics and generally just seemed more patient. Tocchio, on the other hand, wouldn’t really tell me anything about what he would do, and he said he doesn't even make a plan until a week before the surgery. So I guess he wants me to just blindly hop into braces/extractions and trust him when the time comes? Very strange in my opinion. It's also very hard to get a hold of him.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 11:51:08 AM »
Lots of surgeons do CCW with anterior impaction only. Very few do posterior downgrafting.