Author Topic: are there any surgeons in canada that are as good as american ones?  (Read 4723 times)

lamb

Re: are there any surgeons in canada that are as good as american ones?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 03:59:36 PM »
I haven't heard of Caminiti, but I'll put him in on my radar.  I googled Tocchio and there's a review on realself with pics and it's bad.  I looked at a couple of his patient's blogs, one is good and one is OK.

have you met with Fialkov?  what about Cloakie or Meisami?

lamb

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 04:20:20 PM »
never mind about clokie, his lost his licence apparently.

emanresu

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 06:05:16 PM »
Yeah, I think I've seen the blogs you're talking about. From what I've read, Tocchio and Caminiti seem to be the most commonly recommended surgeons in the area. My orthodontist also recommended those two. Unfortunately, there's not many B&A's of either of their work online, and when I asked Tocchio if I could see some photos of his previous cases, he said "he doesn't do that", and to "ask my orthodontist". I didn't ask Caminiti for photos because at the time I didn't think to ask, but when I meet him again I will.

I hadn't heard of Fialkov until today, and after looking at his website, he seems to be a cosmetic surgeon, not a maxfac.

My sleep doctor mentioned Meisami but I haven't met her, but maybe I'll set up an appointment. He also mentioned Stephen Ho, and if I'm remembering correctly, I think he said that Ho is against extractions, so I'll be getting his opinion for sure.

lamb

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »
No, he's definitely maxfax, did my friend's jaw surgery, he works at sunnybrook. he trained with brian mendelson in australia.  yes he also has a cosmetic private clinic.

let me know what you think about Meisami.

Lefortitude

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »
Fialkov is a very good and competent jaw surgeon, but he dosnt practice it nearly as much as the cosmetic stuff. 

I consulted with him and really liked his approach, he had me see an orthodontist and recommended a linear advancement which is why i chose to go abroad.  Hes highly reputable and has a long history of doing top notch work.

Im surprised nobodys mentioned Oleh Antonyshyn.  Hes also very competent maxfac with an eye for cosmetics.  Works out of sunnybrook.  I didnt go with him because he also recommended a linear advancement.  Seems hes not comfortable doing CCW on a patient without an occlusional problem.  Cited high relapse risk for my case when i asked about CCW.  Again the reason i chose to go abroad. 

Between the two, i liked fialkov better.

emanresu

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
I already have a flat occlusal plane so I don't think linear advancement will be a problem for me. Looks like I have a few more surgeons to consider.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 05:07:56 PM »
good news, i talked with my ortho and he said my surgeon does CCW. he also confirmed i have long face syndrome. i guess i'll take my chances locally then

who is your doctor, i can provide you info

lamb

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
Cool lefortitude I didn't know you were from Toronto too.  Who did you to go abroad for surgery?  also because you couldn't find something to do a CCW?

I'll look into Antonyshyn.

lamb

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
bump :)

ShiraishiMichiyo1996

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 11:10:28 PM »
Lefortitude, any reason why you'd pick Tocchio over Caminiti? Realistically, it was down to these two for me (haven't even met with Ho yet).

Having met both Tocchio and Caminiti, I was honestly leaning towards Caminiti, he really seemed to care about aesthetics and generally just seemed more patient. Tocchio, on the other hand, wouldn’t really tell me anything about what he would do, and he said he doesn't even make a plan until a week before the surgery. So I guess he wants me to just blindly hop into braces/extractions and trust him when the time comes? Very strange in my opinion. It's also very hard to get a hold of him.

Ah, I'm so confused now after reading this forum. For the longest time, I was trying to decide between Dr Tocchio and Dr Caminiti for my double jaw surgery. My orthodontist recommended Tocchio, so I had a consultation with him and booked the surgery for next January. I had some doubts about Dr Tocchio, his reviews on ratemds were not as good as Dr Caminiti's. Did Dr Caminiti really seem better? One of the main reasons I went with Tocchio was because he has apparently been doing jaw surgeries for over 30 years, and I didn't think Dr Caminiti could have had the same amount of experience. Also there were many blogs written by Dr Tocchio's patients. Should I consult with Dr Caminiti in case I like him more? But I know what you are talking about, Dr Tocchio barely told me what he was going to do for the surgery and seemed like he was going to plan it last minute. :(