Author Topic: I'm second guessing myself now  (Read 3037 times)

ettubrute

I'm second guessing myself now
« on: October 20, 2017, 09:02:41 PM »
I've been going to a local (canada) ortho and maxfac for a while now. Got braces and 8 teeth removed. At my last ortho appointment he said he and the maxfac thinks I won't even need jaw surgery after all. Now this made me lose faith in their knowledge. In the past I was the one that had to point out my problems: sleep apnea, open bite, incompetent lips, recessed maxilla and mandible, recessed chin, dorsal hump... they were only concerned with how my bite fit.

Now I don't know if I should stick it out with my current ortho, maxfac and risk it. or, cancel my current treatment and save money for several years to go to a really good maxfac with an eye for aesthetics in america

I just broke down emotionally when I was thinking about this. I don't know if I can wait more years for jaw surgery. I have already waited 4 years and the more time goes on, the more it takes a mental toll on my self esteem and sanity. The future looks really bleak

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm second guessing myself now
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »
I've been going to a local (canada) ortho and maxfac for a while now. Got braces and 8 teeth removed. At my last ortho appointment he said he and the maxfac thinks I won't even need jaw surgery after all. Now this made me lose faith in their knowledge. In the past I was the one that had to point out my problems: sleep apnea, open bite, incompetent lips, recessed maxilla and mandible, recessed chin, dorsal hump... they were only concerned with how my bite fit.

Now I don't know if I should stick it out with my current ortho, maxfac and risk it. or, cancel my current treatment and save money for several years to go to a really good maxfac with an eye for aesthetics in america

I just broke down emotionally when I was thinking about this. I don't know if I can wait more years for jaw surgery. I have already waited 4 years and the more time goes on, the more it takes a mental toll on my self esteem and sanity. The future looks really bleak

Dr. Toccio (somewhere in) Canada might be worth a max fax consult. Ortho's just want to get the 'bite right' and max fax  brace prep can be in the OPPOSITE of what the ortho wants for the bite to be right. helps to post a ceph to have a look at how much retrusion there is to the jaws.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ettubrute

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
Ortho's just want to get the 'bite right' and max fax  brace prep can be in the OPPOSITE of what the ortho wants for the bite to be right.

Yup that's what I'm worried about.. My ortho agreed on jaw surgery a year and a half ago, then all of a sudden he says my bite's looking good. like what the hell i thought he was preparing my teeth for jaw surgery and he randomly changes the goal

i'll get a ceph. when he did it, he didnt even give me a copy or even show me..

i'll look into toccio if my maxfac doesnt do what i want

thanks a lot man

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:33:23 PM »
Yeah unfortunately the taking out of 8 teeth doesn't help. How does your tongue feel? Does it feel like it has less space once the spaces closed?

Unfortunately most of us didn't realize we should see a max fac first and then have him/her direct the ortho. I would try and see Dr. Stephen Ho also in Ontario. he does CCW (ask him specifically about that and your aesthetic concerns).

ettubrute

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 02:56:49 AM »
Yeah unfortunately the taking out of 8 teeth doesn't help. How does your tongue feel? Does it feel like it has less space once the spaces closed?

Unfortunately most of us didn't realize we should see a max fac first and then have him/her direct the ortho. I would try and see Dr. Stephen Ho also in Ontario. he does CCW (ask him specifically about that and your aesthetic concerns).
Is taking out that many teeth always bad? my ortho/maxfac said i had to to get treatment (back when i trusted them). my tongue doesnt have much space, but i cant remember if i have less since my teeth were removed. i do have a small palate

and thanks for the maxfac recommendation

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 06:05:44 AM »

OP this is key. What I found out, along with others on this forum is that a lot of surgeons dont like to do CCW. If you have long face syndrome which it sounds like you do from your description you very likely need CCW. Make sure you go to a surgeon that you know for sure does it. Trust me you dont want to go through this surgery only to find that you still have lip incompetence and recession.

ettubrute

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
OP this is key. What I found out, along with others on this forum is that a lot of surgeons dont like to do CCW. If you have long face syndrome which it sounds like you do from your description you very likely need CCW. Make sure you go to a surgeon that you know for sure does it. Trust me you dont want to go through this surgery only to find that you still have lip incompetence and recession.

I do have a long face. I'll definitely push for CCW. Thanks