Author Topic: Mike Mew  (Read 10468 times)

Ben30

Mike Mew
« on: October 24, 2017, 08:05:25 PM »
Lets discuss what this man believes and what he is trying to achieve in Orthodontics.

My personal experience with orthodontics maxillofacial surgery and a chronic stuffy nose  has led me to align with him and I'd like to support him by discussing his ideas and the problems he faces.

Please support him by watching his videos on YouTube, visiting his Facebook page and join in the discussion.

Here is a video he just uploaded to vent his frustration with the politics of Orthodontics in his country.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGMkTTr6Isw

Many thanks
Ben

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Mike Mew
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 09:29:41 PM »
He used to post here. Very weird and attacked members for their opinions/criticisms.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

earl25

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 09:39:31 PM »
Lets discuss what this man believes and what he is trying to achieve in Orthodontics.

My personal experience with orthodontics maxillofacial surgery and a chronic stuffy nose  has led me to align with him and I'd like to support him by discussing his ideas and the problems he faces.

Please support him by watching his videos on YouTube, visiting his Facebook page and join in the discussion.

Here is a video he just uploaded to vent his frustration with the politics of Orthodontics in his country.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nGMkTTr6Isw

Many thanks
Ben

Im not sold on his theories making any significant impact on a persons looks. I do think his stuff is more potentially credible than weston a price

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
Weston Price has so many logical flaws, yet people eat it up just based on a few anecdotes and correlations.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

earl25

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:39:55 AM »
Weston Price has so many logical flaws, yet people eat it up just based on a few anecdotes and correlations.

My question on weston comes even before the logic stuff. It says he analyzed all the primative ppls food and discovered activator x etc, im very curious to know what type of equipment used in the 1920s in remote parts of the world to analyze the food

Bowie

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:09:08 PM »
He used to post here. Very weird and attacked members for their opinions/criticisms.
I had a skype consult with him regarding a functional issue. very f***ing weird. Seems to have aspergers or some sort of social issue.
He skyped from some grotty flat and wore a ski coat...

I guess this shows that adult skull remodeling s possible. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/90494273733579491/

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 02:53:56 PM »
I had a skype consult with him regarding a functional issue. very f***ing weird. Seems to have aspergers or some sort of social issue.
He skyped from some grotty flat and wore a ski coat...

I guess this shows that adult skull remodeling s possible. https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/90494273733579491/

Not sure if the images on that site would be considered (favorable) skull remodeling.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 03:10:49 PM »
My question on weston comes even before the logic stuff. It says he analyzed all the primative ppls food and discovered activator x etc, im very curious to know what type of equipment used in the 1920s in remote parts of the world to analyze the food

To the best of my knowledge WP's salient observation was that indigenous of tribal people had GREAT jaw bone structure, wide palates and strong straight teeth. These tribal people, ISOLATED from 'modern man', ate a lot of foods where they had to use their JAWS a lot to chew eg. stuff like tree bark sometimes. They did not eat refined sugars/carbohydrates or soft stuff eaten by those in post industrial revolution. Genetically, it lead to adaptation where the next generation would inherent the good jaw balance and wide palates and strong teeth. He attributed the post industrial revolution diet of soft foods and refined carbohydrates the key cause of weak facial structures in many 'modernized' people. Genetic material/DNA can change over the course of generations to adapt to environmental factors. Hence modern people over the course of generations who were accustomed to 'modern' foods, NOT NEEDING very strong jaws to chew them, adapted to the diet by having the smaller bone structures or jaws.

i don't know what 'activator X' is but the equipment at time to measure was most likely astute observation as to note the bone structure was quite good compared to other people in 'modern societies' with processed foods in addition to calipers to measure facial distances. 

Framboise

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 02:37:44 AM »
Kavan,

I believed narrow jaws are less caused by genetic than our diet in our childhood. It's because of mashed potatoes, chopped steak, yogourt that our jaws did not developped well.
For aesthetical and health reason (balance of the squelettal, performance in sport, breathing) we do need large jaws. There is no exception.

The same thing can be said about people with a long face. It is more because there were (are) mouth breather than genetic that they have this issue.

Environnmental factors such as oral posture are more important.

In my family, nobody have needed orthodontics except me. Why ? Because I used to suckle my thongue for years. And I was the only one doing it. Maybe I was insecure

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 10:33:07 AM »
Kavan,

I believed narrow jaws are less caused by genetic than our diet in our childhood. It's because of mashed potatoes, chopped steak, yogourt that our jaws did not developped well.
For aesthetical and health reason (balance of the squelettal, performance in sport, breathing) we do need large jaws. There is no exception.

The same thing can be said about people with a long face. It is more because there were (are) mouth breather than genetic that they have this issue.

Environnmental factors such as oral posture are more important.

In my family, nobody have needed orthodontics except me. Why ? Because I used to suckle my thongue for years. And I was the only one doing it. Maybe I was insecure

Well, soft food diet easily contributes to it, soft food diet IS an ENVIRONMENTAL factor. The jaws can adapt to that by becoming smaller even if one is the first one to have it when ancestors had larger jaws . As to genetic adaptations to environment, consider there is always a FIRST one and then the genes can be passed on to future offspring.

The other factor is epigenics where one has the good genes for the big jaws but they don't become 'expressed' in the physical body due to environmental factors, eg. eating soft foods and thumb sucking.

girl

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »
What was weird about him?

I heard that his fees are pretty high.

Framboise

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 12:14:28 AM »
Code: [Select]
As to genetic adaptations to environment,
I have studied biology and I can tell that you can eating soft food, it won't never alter your DNA. Eating soft food = no chew = less bone stimulation = narrow jaws.
The DNA is not involved in this process.

eating soft food is not like a chemical attack, it won't alter anything.

But I've read recently that chemicals in food and in the air can actually limit jaw's developpement in children.

I have all these informations in a book written by a dentist who explain that teeth extraction worsen the narrow jaws  issue.
The solution is to expand the jaw, and expansion should be made before 8. After 8 with a palatal expander, it is not the jaw itself that will be larger but only the alveolar bone.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 07:03:14 AM »
Code: [Select]
As to genetic adaptations to environment,
I have studied biology and I can tell that you can eating soft food, it won't never alter your DNA. Eating soft food = no chew = less bone stimulation = narrow jaws.
The DNA is not involved in this process.

eating soft food is not like a chemical attack, it won't alter anything.

But I've read recently that chemicals in food and in the air can actually limit jaw's developpement in children.

I have all these informations in a book written by a dentist who explain that teeth extraction worsen the narrow jaws  issue.
The solution is to expand the jaw, and expansion should be made before 8. After 8 with a palatal expander, it is not the jaw itself that will be larger but only the alveolar bone.

Doesn't your book also tell you that adaptations to the environment over the course of time can change genetic material passed on ...you know...for example, evolution?...slight changes in it's expression? Anyway, eating the soft foods, diet is an environmental thing in the sense, the habit is part of the environmental factors such as culture.

Framboise

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 07:41:20 AM »
Contrariwise, the dentist defends the idea that the theory of evolution regarding is not accurate.
The way we breathe, the oral habits and our diets played a major role in our jaws developpment.

I know that "evolution" is a theory widely conveyed but not scientifically proved.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
Contrariwise, the dentist defends the idea that the theory of evolution regarding is not accurate.
The way we breathe, the oral habits and our diets played a major role in our jaws developpment.

I know that "evolution" is a theory widely conveyed but not scientifically proved.

Well, YES, the way we breath, oral habits and diets play a major role in jaw development.  I agree with that.