Author Topic: Would a third jaw surgery be worth it?  (Read 1351 times)

MichelleA

Would a third jaw surgery be worth it?
« on: October 23, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »
I have a mild case of Treacher Collins Syndrome, I have had countless surgeries all over my face; most of which have made me love my appearance! I had one jaw surgery when I was 9-10 years old, just bringing the lower jaw forward due to it being so far back there were breathing issues. This procedure involved having a ton of metal implanted, and two poles that stuck out of my mouth which my parents had to turn twice a day to physically force my jaw forward. When I was 17, I had to have it again, because obviously I grew a ton, but this time it was a double jaw surgery and a genioplasty to make my lower face more prominent. That was three months with my jaw wired shut, eating mashed potatoes through a syringe, and dropping 45lbs (let's not kid though, I looked H O T.) I loved the way my face looked and my new jawline and my perfect smile. I can't pinpoint exactly when it went back to it's pre-operative state, but I'm now 19, and I'm back to my jelly jaw line. It's causing me pain because I'm shoving my head forward to keep me from having a double chin constantly, putting pressure on my spine. I'll catch myself breathing shallow, and attempt to take a big deep breath, and it's cut short because of my jaw. I have no side profile, and I'm not sure if I should just accept that I'll probably always look like this, or if I should talk to my surgeon again and go through the pain in order to actually look normal. It's very frustrating to have the rest of my face fixed and looking normal, and then have my jaw looking wrong.

Framboise

Re: Would a third jaw surgery be worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:28:09 AM »
Hello Michelle,

First of all and before doing anything, you must find out why you have a relapse (TMJ weakness, problems with the screws etc)

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:18:29 PM »
I have a mild case of Treacher Collins Syndrome, I have had countless surgeries all over my face; most of which have made me love my appearance! I had one jaw surgery when I was 9-10 years old, just bringing the lower jaw forward due to it being so far back there were breathing issues. This procedure involved having a ton of metal implanted, and two poles that stuck out of my mouth which my parents had to turn twice a day to physically force my jaw forward. When I was 17, I had to have it again, because obviously I grew a ton, but this time it was a double jaw surgery and a genioplasty to make my lower face more prominent. That was three months with my jaw wired shut, eating mashed potatoes through a syringe, and dropping 45lbs (let's not kid though, I looked H O T.) I loved the way my face looked and my new jawline and my perfect smile. I can't pinpoint exactly when it went back to it's pre-operative state, but I'm now 19, and I'm back to my jelly jaw line. It's causing me pain because I'm shoving my head forward to keep me from having a double chin constantly, putting pressure on my spine. I'll catch myself breathing shallow, and attempt to take a big deep breath, and it's cut short because of my jaw. I have no side profile, and I'm not sure if I should just accept that I'll probably always look like this, or if I should talk to my surgeon again and go through the pain in order to actually look normal. It's very frustrating to have the rest of my face fixed and looking normal, and then have my jaw looking wrong.

From what you say, your relapse was between when you were 17 and 19. There is no harm in talking to your surgeon again  in hopes of finding why the relapse (as Framboise is suggesting to first find out why). Were you instructed to wear a retainer or some kind of device at night for life and if so, did you do as instructed?
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

MichelleA

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 04:34:33 PM »
I have not been told exactly why, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was weakness and issues with the screws combined. Over winter break last year I went in to get one side of the screws removed because I could feel it on the inside of my jaw and it was causing pain and it was in too deep, so the surgeon had to do it in a more extensive OR in order to get them out. They've been out for almost a year now, and my jaw doesn't hurt and the clicking and popping are much less frequent, I'm just not happy with my look or breathing.

I had braces on until summer of 2016, where I had to use bands until the end of my time with them, but they installed a permanent retainer on my bottom few teeth, and left me with a clear retainer just at night for the top teeth, neither are there to hold my jaw in place though. I haven't seen my surgeon since right after he removed the screws last spring because I live a few states away for college, I am planning on meeting with him and discussing my options during thanksgiving break. But if I may decide to find a surgeon in Phoenix, Arizona (where I go to school) because I'm thinking, major city = newer technology & less chance of it happening again. I'm not sure if having multiple surgeons work on my face would end badly or not though.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 05:35:24 PM »
I have not been told exactly why, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was weakness and issues with the screws combined. Over winter break last year I went in to get one side of the screws removed because I could feel it on the inside of my jaw and it was causing pain and it was in too deep, so the surgeon had to do it in a more extensive OR in order to get them out. They've been out for almost a year now, and my jaw doesn't hurt and the clicking and popping are much less frequent, I'm just not happy with my look or breathing.

I had braces on until summer of 2016, where I had to use bands until the end of my time with them, but they installed a permanent retainer on my bottom few teeth, and left me with a clear retainer just at night for the top teeth, neither are there to hold my jaw in place though. I haven't seen my surgeon since right after he removed the screws last spring because I live a few states away for college, I am planning on meeting with him and discussing my options during thanksgiving break. But if I may decide to find a surgeon in Phoenix, Arizona (where I go to school) because I'm thinking, major city = newer technology & less chance of it happening again. I'm not sure if having multiple surgeons work on my face would end badly or not though.

Have you used the retainer every night since then?
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 06:30:35 PM »
If you struggle to breathe, then absolutely it's worth it. The younger you're, the easier it is to recover from surgery.