Author Topic: Class III question  (Read 863 times)

startalk

Class III question
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
Hi guys

I was diagnosed with Underbite. However my ortho suggested a treatment in which my lower bicuspidus teeth would be removed and than after that I would wear braces for 2 years. But,the problem is, I am very concerned about possible face changes that can happen if I start doing this treatment. Will it make my face more narrow?

PloskoPlus

Re: Class III question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »
Run from this ortho.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 12:02:53 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't give extraction orthos any money. We need to force change in the industry by rejecting that treatment.

In rare cases, you could make an argument extracting 2 lowers is acceptable. So, get more opinions, and ask why those teeth must be pulled in your case.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
It sounds like he might want to do that to get the 'bite right' INSTEAD of the max fax surgery. Perhaps to compensate for a skeletal deficiency. Sounds like he wants to pluck the premolars (lower) to have enough room to push the lower teeth backwards.

You would have to determine if your underbite was from maxilla being too recessed and/OR the lower jaw being too forward. (Class 3 skeletal deficiency.) For that, you would need a ceph analysis from a max fax. An ortho can also do one BUT, there are enough of them who will DISREGARD the SKELETAL problem (one or both of the jaws actually needing to be MOVED/displaced for better aesthetics) in favor of making the 'bite right'. Right bites don't look very good if the wrong bite is from a skeletal deficiency.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

startalk

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
It sounds like he might want to do that to get the 'bite right' INSTEAD of the max fax surgery. Perhaps to compensate for a skeletal deficiency. Sounds like he wants to pluck the premolars (lower) to have enough room to push the lower teeth backwards.

You would have to determine if your underbite was from maxilla being too recessed and/OR the lower jaw being too forward. (Class 3 skeletal deficiency.) For that, you would need a ceph analysis from a max fax. An ortho can also do one BUT, there are enough of them who will DISREGARD the SKELETAL problem (one or both of the jaws actually needing to be MOVED/displaced for better aesthetics) in favor of making the 'bite right'. Right bites don't look very good if the wrong bite is from a skeletal deficiency.

Yes,that is exactly what he is trying to do. So, if my lower jaw is too foward would that be acceptable solution?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 03:12:28 PM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 03:20:44 PM »

Yes,that is exactly what he is trying to do. So, if my lower jaw is too foward would that be acceptable solution?

You don't know (nor do I) if it's too forward RELATIVE to the maxilla being 'absolutely retrusive.  That is to say, IF the lower jaw position is within the NORM but LOOKS forward relative to maxilla retrusion, (below norm where it should be) it would be the upper jaw that you would want moved forward (with surgery) and anything done to the lower jaw (with braces and/or extractions) would be toward the goal of the surgery balancing the skeletal imbalance.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.