Author Topic: Regret double jaw surgery and genie for open bite and retrognathia  (Read 18938 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Regret double jaw surgery and genie for open bite and retrognathia
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 07:57:26 PM »
So here is the way I see it. I am in a similar situation as you were pre genioplasty. Basically there are two approaches to long face syndrome. Most surgeons impact the maxilla to get ideal incisor display at rest, and then move the lower jaw in essentially a straight line to make the bite fit. Surgeons like Gunson and Wolford do impaction with more counter clockwise rotation to change the mandibular plane angle which usually gives a better aesthetic result but is considered unstable by some surgeons. Surgeons who do the first method usually do a genioplasty to help make up for the difference. You and I both went to a surgeon that does more of the first method. They possibly slightly "under impacted" you to prevent the aging effects that an impaction can have, especially on women. Or you could have a hypermobile upper lip. The best way to tell would be to take a photo from the front with lips at rest. If you have normal incisor display(2-4 mm for a woman I think) then its a hypermobile upper lip.

For too much anterior gum show and long front teeth with that, they can do an anterior impaction which IS CCW. Although posterior downgrafting also is a method for CCW in cases where the anterior maxilla can stay pretty much as is, if you look at her before photos, she also has posterior gum show. So, posterior downgrafting would just give MORE of that.

As to 'hyper mobile' lip, it looks like she is altering her lip posture in the last photo she gave, perhaps to hide what looks to be some kind of hardware or braces in her mouth.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

some1afterall

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 09:30:29 PM »
Thanks for your replies, they have given me things to think about.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 03:13:00 AM »
Vertical changes from the front can be very hard to adjust to. I think your result is quite good.

tdawg

• Private
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 05:24:19 AM »
Also another thing to consider is that in the photo you most recently posted you are wearing a hat and a hood, which hides your hair and I think has an aging effect. I think your result is probably as good as you could get with the typical approach that most surgeons take.

some1afterall

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 07:39:34 AM »
here's a post djs/genio/braces pic from front with hair.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 01:28:07 PM »
here's a post djs/genio/braces pic from front with hair.

OK. So that shows an improvement to the gummy smile and better balance. The chin does not look 'long' either. You just got 'used to' looking at it when it was RECEDING into the background in frontal view. It's just more prominent in the foreground which is just a universal law of perspective where objects brought CLOSER to view will look larger than they did when they were further away. There is nothing aesthetically 'objectionable' to 'regret' with where your chin is now.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

girl

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
You look nice in this picture.

As you didn't get the SARPE done, I would consider adding some veneers to the back to reduce the buccal corridors. That might make your face seem less "long" to you as well.

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 02:47:21 AM »
This is my first post and I'm glad I have this outlet to vent. I was told I needed jaw surgery when I was 14 years old and 16 years later, I finally had the insurance and means to make it happen. Prior to jaw surgery I felt attractive and liked my face from the frontal view and my big smile. I was embarrassed of my profile and when I smiled big and showed a "horse like" smile with a lot of gum and large open bite. In November 2015 I started orthodontia and had double jaw surgery (le fort and BSSO) in august 2016. 6 months later I had a 4mm genioplasty. My braces came off August 2017.

The results have been devastating to me. My bite is closed and even, but the soft tissue and facial proportions, in my opinion, are not good. My face looks even longer than before and more masculine. My philtrum is longer and my nose wider, and my whole face looks longer. I am very depressed and don't know what to do. My lips also seem thinner.

I'm wondering if a smaller surgery like genioplasty reversal or modification or rhinoplasty or lip fillers could help to achieve a more feminine look, or if I'd have to redo my whole jaw surgery ;-/

Here are some pictures, pre-surgery is first, post-surgery is after
I think you look great. Nothing manly at all about the chin. You're pretty.

some1afterall

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 10:22:39 PM »
Thank you. I think I look okay sometimes when I’m smiling and from certain angles, but the front view with expressionless face I like the least.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 02:37:48 AM »
your results are fine you look better.

problem is jaw surgery is like such a friggin primtive cave-age procedure by this time.

i mean there will be future people who look back on this time and say stuff like: "They did what? Tie cement brackets to your teeth with wires and f**king then saw your jaw open and remove teeth and you'd be in this s**t for years??? And you'd looose sensation in your lip" And some faggot with a saw would saw your jaw without actually imaging exactly where all your nerves were cause he'd be doing it blind some crap called a bsso bulls**t"

In fact, I can't believe we're still living in such horribly primitive times. We think the 19th century was ghastly but we're just as bad given the way things should be going.

I mean there should be nano technologies and stem cell derived bones that grow your own for implants and grafts and f**king lasers that do precision cuts without disturbing your nerve and blood supply whatsoever.

Fifty years and that's where we'll be. I have so much envy for the kids of the future.

Also, lady, you're like me an older patient and jaw surgery always reeks more havoc on our faces, i can see your teeth are quite yellow from being in braces as an adult, that's not staining that's enamel loss. I have it too.

Honestly, I can confdiently say looking back 8 goddamned f**king years. I wish I had never gotten any of this into my head.

But I probably wouldn't have listened. f**k me.

some1afterall

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2018, 08:51:26 AM »
Lazlo,

What happened to you? You seem very angry and spiteful.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 05:13:08 PM »
Lazlo,

What happened to you? You seem very angry and spiteful.

jaw surgery happened and i wish i had never had it done. its a very awful procedure.

jusken

• Private
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
Hey OP,

Your results are fine.  The remainder of the problem is the same issue I have and why I was so torn about my results post jaw surgery.  The issue is tissue loss.  You'd be surprised how much of a difference it would make.

I would highly recommend not doing anything about it or looking into it much though.  I spent a couple years looking into this (many consultations and thinking hard on it) and currently the solutions are terrible.  If you consult with doctors there will be many that might suggest things like fat grafting/dermal fillers/etc.  But, don't do it!  Your tissue loss is 100% evenly distributed like mine, and the only true solution would just be to magically gain fat everywhere in your face where it has been lost.  Also magical bone regeneration on your teeth (like mine as well) would be amazing!

The good news is it looks totally natural (though gaunt) and SO much better than putting soft tissue in targeted areas like all the idiot doctors are doing right now.  Certain ones of us have super fast, lean metabolisms and start to look gaunt in our 30's onward.  The only true solution is to live with it - or wait until some fantastic new soft/hard tissue regeneration comes along.  There are increasingly many companies investing in Biotech, and we or people of the future will be able to benefit from it at some point.

Hopefully that's not bad news for you...

jusken

• Private
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 07:35:21 PM »
This might be really bad form, but here's a quick paintover to illustrate this.  Let me know and I'll take it down immediately!

[attachment deleted by admin]

ditterbo

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 08:02:04 PM »
Are you implying your tissue loss came from the jaw surgery, jusken?