Author Topic: Bite position and surgery.  (Read 1141 times)

Meefly

Bite position and surgery.
« on: November 08, 2017, 06:06:04 AM »
Hello everyone.

I am just coming to the realisation that a lot of the functional problems I have are related to the positions of my jaws.

I have had issues with years of tooth grinding and clenching to the point the dentist built up my teeth to re-establish the interocclusal distance.  I also have a very narrow airway and disrupted sleep and frequent episodes of tinnitus.
I find If I jut my lower jaw forwards aesthetically it looks a lot better (and is not uncomfortable) but to bite together feels like I am pulling my jaw back and my profile and frontal view look pretty awful.

I think jaw surgery may help with these issues but I wonder how to tell where my bite 'should' be?  Also if i had my top teeth taken forwards to allow my mandible to come forward might it make my already weak chin look even further back?

Thanks in advance

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Bite position and surgery.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
Hello everyone.

I am just coming to the realisation that a lot of the functional problems I have are related to the positions of my jaws.

I have had issues with years of tooth grinding and clenching to the point the dentist built up my teeth to re-establish the interocclusal distance.  I also have a very narrow airway and disrupted sleep and frequent episodes of tinnitus.
I find If I jut my lower jaw forwards aesthetically it looks a lot better (and is not uncomfortable) but to bite together feels like I am pulling my jaw back and my profile and frontal view look pretty awful.

I think jaw surgery may help with these issues but I wonder how to tell where my bite 'should' be?  Also if i had my top teeth taken forwards to allow my mandible to come forward might it make my already weak chin look even further back?

Thanks in advance

Google/research; 'Proper occlusion'.

If you had your top teeth brought forward in a bi-max surgery where the plan of it included your lower jaw also coming forward, proper occlusion would be in the plan.

Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Rico

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 01:30:22 PM »
before you undergo any surgery on the jaw, make sure one or both of the articular discs are not compressed...compression means jaw deviation possible...in that scenario you need physio and splint

shnk

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
how do you know if your articular discs are compressed or not?

JimmyTheGent

• Im likely the reason your Karma is so high.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:07:35 PM »
Did you have braces as a kid to fix an overbite?   What you described especially about having to move your jaw back when you bite is exactly how I feel and it all started when I got braces as a kid. Moving my maxillary teeth to the back of my mouth as a treatment for buck teeth ruined my face, my airway, and I can't breath out of my nose.

Hello everyone.

Thanks in advance
The more I learn about the gamble that is jaw surgery the more afraid I become!!!   :-(

Meefly

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 07:32:03 AM »
No never had any orthodontics or extractions, I think excessive clenching and grindingmay have caused the problems but I'm not sure.

Do you know what stops you breathing through your nose?

Rico - How would I know if my articular discs are compressed?  What effect would a splint have?

Cheers.