Author Topic: Need last minute help! Surgery in 2 days  (Read 1445 times)

Benjaminh

Need last minute help! Surgery in 2 days
« on: November 27, 2017, 04:24:19 PM »
Hey guys I have my surgery in 2 days and I received my plans. I have sleep apnea and TMJ. My lower airway is low. I have an underbite. My jaw surgeon says he cant move my lower jaw forward otherwise itll look bad aesthetically. His plans are to move my upper forward 7MM and impact 3MM. According to him itll allow space for my tongue and help fix my apnea because its mostly a tissue problem. He cant do CCW because my occlusal plane will be to flat and unstable. Keep in mind Im in canada. I really want my apnea fixed. Will this help? Yes or no?

I really need to know asap if not I will cancel.

Thank you!!!

Benjaminh

Re: Need last minute help! Surgery in 2 days
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »
He was supposed to do ccw but changed his mind

PloskoPlus

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:57:23 PM »
I thought sleep apnea was mostly a lower jaw issue.

Benjaminh

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
This is what I thought too. I feel like hes trying to just make money.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
That plan seems appropriate to me given the images you posted.
I'd be a little concerned about 3mm impaction. Do you have a gummy smile? Is it the entire jaw or just the anterior? Is he doing that to get some type of rotation? Not sure I understand that part.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

Benjaminh

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 06:04:16 PM »
Dont have a gummy smile. But he said hes doing it because hes moving it up 7mm. My concern is my airway is small how will that change if he doesnt do anything?

Benjaminh

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:06:26 PM »
Im using a cpap machine right now

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 09:11:33 AM »
It sounds like the doctor is telling you that you already have CCW to the maxilla. That is to say, your occlusal plane angulation is very much near what someone with a HIGHER inclination of the OP would have a CCW rotation to ACHIEVE. It's also common for people with a class 3 type relationship to have an OP that is 'too flat'. Looking at the diagram, your OP does appear LESS than the norm and NOT the type of OP one does CCW on. Also, appears to be 3 molars in the diagram. If the 3rd one in the back is the wisdom tooth, that can preclude a BSSO.

Not doing CCW to the maxilla on someone who's OP is 'too FLAT' to begin with does NOT PRECLUDE the mandible from swinging UP and FORWARD (CCW) when a retrusive maxilla is displaced UP and FORWARD. On the contrary. YOur mandible would swing CCW up and forward with the proposed displacements to the maxilla which would tend towards relieving part of the lower airway.

The situation is not too different from a SINGLE jaw surgery to the maxilla where someone with a very HIGH angled OP, has the OP reduced and maxilla advanced to affect a CCW AUTO-ROTATION of the mandible. Except in your case, since they can't reduce the inclination angle of the OP since it's already low, they need to remove an 'even' section of it to move the whole thing up and then move that whole thing forward.

ETA: correction
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 01:42:11 PM by kavan »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

shnk

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 01:27:26 PM »
It sounds like the doctor is telling you that you already have CCW to the maxilla. That is to say, your occlusal plane angulation is very much near what someone with a HIGHER inclination of the OP would have a CCW rotation to ACHIEVE. It's also common for people with a class 3 type relationship to have an OP that is 'too flat'. Looking at the diagram, your OP does appear LESS than the norm and NOT the type of OP one does CCW on. Also, appears to be 3 molars in the diagram. If the 3rd one in the back is the wisdom tooth, that can preclude a BSSO.

Not doing CCW to the maxilla on someone who's OP is 'too FLAT' to begin with does NOT PRECLUDE the mandible from swinging UP and FORWARD (CCW) when a retrusive maxilla is displaced UP and FORWARD. On the contrary. YOur mandible would swing CCW up and forward with the proposed displacements to the maxilla which would tend towards relieving part of the lower airway.

The situation is not too different from a SINGLE jaw surgery to the maxilla where someone with a very HIGH angled OP, has the OP reduced and maxilla advanced to affect a CCW AUTO-ROTATION of the mandible. Except in your case, since they can't reduce the inclination angle of the OP since it's already highlow, they need to remove an 'even' section of it to move the whole thing up and then move that whole thing forward.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 01:43:04 PM »
Thanx shnk. I corrected it.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.