Author Topic: Profile thoughts?  (Read 1363 times)

haven

• Private
Profile thoughts?
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:38:38 PM »
I had braces when I was 21 to correct me bite. I'm 27 now. I've never had any functional problems with my jaw. According to the doctors, my bite was functional and profile adequate. They just said my chin was more feminine than masculine  :-\ They gave the options of going the surgical route to give a slight improvement to my profile, at the cost of losing some teeth. Or I could get braces to straighten out my teeth, and seek out an alternative to my chin if I wanted in the future.

I opted for the latter, as I felt the cost/time/risks outweighed the minor improvement I would have seen. It's been a few years since I've had my braces removed and honestly my profile has never really bothered me. I don't really have any self esteem issues, outside of the occasional self loathing and dip in mood, but who doesn't? I've had depression in the past, but that stemmed from much older roots. I wasn't working the last two months as I was jumping through contracts, gained a bit of weight, and started feeling a bit down mainly because I wasn't actively doing much day to day and unfortunately spent some of my free time being critical of my profile, because as the doctors said way back: "It's was fine, but could be tad bit better".

I started working again :), but I'm going to see if I can make some time to see some maxillofacial surgeons to get their input. From what I know, there are implants or a genioplasty. I'm not keen on the idea of implants. I'm not looking to make a drastic alteration. I don't want a pointy, or bulgy chin. From the front I feel fine and actually like my smile now, which is why I wonder if it's even worth it, if I'm only seeking a mild improvement.

I come across people with my profile at work, social gatherings etc and they always look normal to me. Both male and female. So it's somehow ironic that I'm bothered my mine at the moment. Not sure of picture etiquette, but I'm gonna censor my eyes, that way the feds won't know it's me, haha. Bless.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:19:46 PM by haven »

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Profile thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:30:34 AM »
you'd be fine with an aggressive genioplasty.

Freeways

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 04:49:59 PM »
Your profile is poor, but like you say, there are many other people with a profile similar to yours. If you're happy with a small improvement, a genioplasty would be suitable for you. In some cases genioplasty may even provide a big improvement. IMO, genioplasty does not only improve the profile - a more prominent chin makes you look better from every angle.

You may also consider double jaw surgery, which could improve your profile, breathing and allow you to have better posture. Double jaw surgery is a long journey though, so you need to look into the risks and decide if it's worth it for you.

haven

• Private
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »
you'd be fine with an aggressive genioplasty.

How much is aggressive?

haven

• Private
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:52:42 AM »
Your profile is poor, but like you say, there are many other people with a profile similar to yours. If you're happy with a small improvement, a genioplasty would be suitable for you. In some cases genioplasty may even provide a big improvement. IMO, genioplasty does not only improve the profile - a more prominent chin makes you look better from every angle.

You may also consider double jaw surgery, which could improve your profile, breathing and allow you to have better posture. Double jaw surgery is a long journey though, so you need to look into the risks and decide if it's worth it for you.

Thanks brah. Think my biggest gripe is the weight. I gained  20 pounds from eating poorly and it shows on my neck area and makes my chin look smaller. I have some side photos from a while back where I looked fine with my average weight. Im gonna diet up to lose some weight. Not sure about surgery let alone double jaw surgery when I have no functional issues, so that's a hard naw for me.

Still gonna get the opinion of a professionals opinion about the genioplasty though.