Author Topic: Best surgeon in Canada?  (Read 4238 times)

Benjaminh

Best surgeon in Canada?
« on: November 28, 2017, 09:13:01 AM »
Hey guys Im tired of all the surgeons who keep saying CCW is unstable. Im. Looking for someone who will do it and has alot of experience. Willing to fly out as long as its in canada. Anyone know whats the top?

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Best surgeon in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 10:55:49 AM »
See my reply to you in your other thread.

CCW is NOT a 'mantra' everyone can chant and insist the maxfax do. It only applies to people with STEEP occlusal planes.

You are confusing the 'MANTRA' of 'CCW' with the true OBJECTIVE of it. The objective of CCW is to REDUCE a HIGH OP angle. If your OP angle is already LOW and close to 'flat' or would be flat or too flat with it, you might be hard pressed to find a maxfax in US who's willing to make it even MORE LESS than the norm.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Lefortitude

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »
Kavan is correct.  Canadian maxfacs are not as good as EU maxfacs.  If you must stay in Canada I would consult fialkov, antonysyn and caminetti in that order

emanresu

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »
Lefortitude, I remember you mentioning Fialkov and Antonyshyn in the previous thread on Canadian surgeons and you have me very interested in them. Is there any reason why you feel they're better than Caminiti?

Also, why not Tocchio? At this point, any discussion without Tocchio being mentioned seems unusual (not because I particularly like him, but just because he is always suggested).

Lefortitude

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:15:07 PM »
consult them all and see what you think.  i dont think any of them do alot of ccw.

secondtimearound

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 07:09:28 AM »
I had my first procedure done by Dr. Claudio Tocchio which went poorly. I had no complications of the surgery itself. It was just the surgical plan was completely inadequate for my degree of malocclusion and I am still in very bad shape. I had an open bite, cross bite, underbite, and facial asymmetry. He barely touched my asymmetry, they tried to manage my crossbite through orthodontics alone, leading to relapse. I now still have all the same issues, just reduced by at most 50%.

I have consulted with Dr. Marco Caminiti in the past year about doing a revision. Caminiti seemed to grasp the issues very well and was very happy to try to help me. He was surprised by how my case was handled in the first place. He offered me a SARPE and revision BSSO/LF1. In my case, he said as I need 1.1 cm upper jaw widening, even a multipiece LF1 will not suffice, so it must be SARPE. I will probably go with Caminiti for this as I had a good feeling for him. Also helpful is that he worked with Tocchio when he was training himself, so he recognizes and is familiar with all of Tocchio's hardware (which is now in my face).

I got his name by calling around jaw surgeons and asking who would be willing to do a revision. One female jaw surgeon I spoke to said "If anyone can handle it, it's Dr. Caminiti". He teaches at U of T also for what it's worth.

Good to see his name mentioned above.

I looked at the other two names - Dr. Jeff Fialkov is a plastic surgeon not a jaw surgeon. Dr. Oleh Antonyshyn looks interesting. He's known to be good? If so, I think I will go see him as well for another opinion. Can't hurt to get more opinions.

The only negative I had from my consult with Caminiti is he wanted to "pin" my right TMJ intraoperatively to make it more stable for the procedure. I am very much against this as my TMJs are in the best shape they've been in for my adult life and I really don't want to f**k with them. When I see him again in ~5 months for getting the surgical process started, I plan to explain this to him, and if he's adamant about the pinning I'll have to go to someone else. He seems very nice and flexible though.

I also didn't discuss with him virtual surgical planning so I'm not sure to what extent he does this.

As for the subject of "CCW", I'm not sure why anyone would think a surgeon "wouldn't do CCW" if it was appropriate for the case. We are not talking about v-line surgery or some other regionally specific surgery. LF1 is part of the standard training for all maxillofacial surgeons. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't be able to do a rotation in either direction if needed.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 02:56:13 PM »
Regarding CCW, you're wrong. In Australia you will not find a single surgeon who does CCW with posterior down grafting... Not a single one.

Lefortitude

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
camenetti is a good surgeon.  if he says he wants to stabilize your tmj, maybe he knows something you dont.

secondtimearound

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 09:32:59 AM »
camenetti is a good surgeon.  if he says he wants to stabilize your tmj, maybe he knows something you dont.

Yeah I know what his concern is. He wants to guarantee the most stable surgical outcome. And if your TMJ has the slightest bit of laxity or mobility, then pinning it into place and fixating it is the most guaranteed way of maintaining stability intraoperatively and postoperatively.

The problem is TMJ discs are meant to be mobile for natural use of the jaw and as I have said, I have the best TMJ function at the present that I have had in my entire adult life. I would rather not get the surgery and just live with my misalignments than risk returning to a life of bad TMJ problems.

So we'll see. I'm not ready to start the surgery again for another 5 months so I'll wait until then and then see what he has to say on re-consultation.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 06:15:44 PM »
I had my first procedure done by Dr. Claudio Tocchio which went poorly. I had no complications of the surgery itself. It was just the surgical plan was completely inadequate for my degree of malocclusion and I am still in very bad shape. I had an open bite, cross bite, underbite, and facial asymmetry. He barely touched my asymmetry, they tried to manage my crossbite through orthodontics alone, leading to relapse. I now still have all the same issues, just reduced by at most 50%.

I have consulted with Dr. Marco Caminiti in the past year about doing a revision. Caminiti seemed to grasp the issues very well and was very happy to try to help me. He was surprised by how my case was handled in the first place. He offered me a SARPE and revision BSSO/LF1. In my case, he said as I need 1.1 cm upper jaw widening, even a multipiece LF1 will not suffice, so it must be SARPE. I will probably go with Caminiti for this as I had a good feeling for him. Also helpful is that he worked with Tocchio when he was training himself, so he recognizes and is familiar with all of Tocchio's hardware (which is now in my face).

I got his name by calling around jaw surgeons and asking who would be willing to do a revision. One female jaw surgeon I spoke to said "If anyone can handle it, it's Dr. Caminiti". He teaches at U of T also for what it's worth.

Good to see his name mentioned above.

I looked at the other two names - Dr. Jeff Fialkov is a plastic surgeon not a jaw surgeon. Dr. Oleh Antonyshyn looks interesting. He's known to be good? If so, I think I will go see him as well for another opinion. Can't hurt to get more opinions.

The only negative I had from my consult with Caminiti is he wanted to "pin" my right TMJ intraoperatively to make it more stable for the procedure. I am very much against this as my TMJs are in the best shape they've been in for my adult life and I really don't want to f**k with them. When I see him again in ~5 months for getting the surgical process started, I plan to explain this to him, and if he's adamant about the pinning I'll have to go to someone else. He seems very nice and flexible though.

I also didn't discuss with him virtual surgical planning so I'm not sure to what extent he does this.

As for the subject of "CCW", I'm not sure why anyone would think a surgeon "wouldn't do CCW" if it was appropriate for the case. We are not talking about v-line surgery or some other regionally specific surgery. LF1 is part of the standard training for all maxillofacial surgeons. I can't think of any reason they wouldn't be able to do a rotation in either direction if needed.

you do realize SARPE will involve a surgical procedure, orthodontics and then having a f**king expander in your upper arch for close to a year, then they'll have to close the spaces (your front teeth will grow far apart) and that will take another 6 months. So that's even before you're reading for the revision bimax. How old are you? How long did Camenetti say it would take?

I have consulted with Caminetti as well but wasn't too happy with his brushing off isssues of aesthetics. Also he didn't do CCW which is really the way to go. Have you consulted with Stephen Ho? He seemed to do CCW aand have some more advanced techniques.

secondtimearound

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 07:57:12 PM »
you do realize SARPE will involve a surgical procedure, orthodontics and then having a f**king expander in your upper arch for close to a year, then they'll have to close the spaces (your front teeth will grow far apart) and that will take another 6 months. So that's even before you're reading for the revision bimax. How old are you? How long did Camenetti say it would take?

I have consulted with Caminetti as well but wasn't too happy with his brushing off isssues of aesthetics. Also he didn't do CCW which is really the way to go. Have you consulted with Stephen Ho? He seemed to do CCW aand have some more advanced techniques.

Oh I'm well aware of the commitment. Plan was for roughly 9-10 months for the sarpe phase followed by the final surgery. I'm 35 now. This face and bite and jaws have haunted me my whole life. Time to see what I can do for it. Goal was around 1 mm expansion per day so 110-120 days of that followed by around 6 months to close the gap.

As for aesthetics, everything Caminiti suggested was what I felt was appropriate for my aesthetics. Correct the asymmetry, expand the upper jaw, bring the upper jaw forward another 2-3 mm. There's nothing else for my case to be done.

Never heard of Stephen ho. I'll give him a try for a consult if you think he's good. What makes you suggest him? His bio suggests he is primarily interested in sleep apnea.

http://www.creditvalleyoralsurgery.com/meet-us/meet-the-doctors/dr-stephen-k-c-ho/

I'm not sure what the fixation on CCW is. Do you guys have abnormal bite planes as confirmed by cephalometrics? According to cephx.com analysis my plane is normal so I don't see a reason to mess with that or fixate on it.

My goal is just the normalization of as many of my features as possible. Normal = attractive, at least when compared with dysmorphic. Statistically averaged faces are the most attractive overall, and that's what cephalometrics are based on - averages.

Are you guys having problems because you are trying to "correct" things that are already within the normal range?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 08:19:48 PM by secondtimearound »

secondtimearound

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 11:04:42 AM »
Oh I'm well aware of the commitment. Plan was for roughly 9-10 months for the sarpe phase followed by the final surgery. I'm 35 now. This face and bite and jaws have haunted me my whole life. Time to see what I can do for it. Goal was around 1 mm expansion per day so 110-120 days of that followed by around 6 months to close the gap.

As for aesthetics, everything Caminiti suggested was what I felt was appropriate for my aesthetics. Correct the asymmetry, expand the upper jaw, bring the upper jaw forward another 2-3 mm. There's nothing else for my case to be done.

Never heard of Stephen ho. I'll give him a try for a consult if you think he's good. What makes you suggest him? His bio suggests he is primarily interested in sleep apnea.

http://www.creditvalleyoralsurgery.com/meet-us/meet-the-doctors/dr-stephen-k-c-ho/

I'm not sure what the fixation on CCW is. Do you guys have abnormal bite planes as confirmed by cephalometrics? According to cephx.com analysis my plane is normal so I don't see a reason to mess with that or fixate on it.

My goal is just the normalization of as many of my features as possible. Normal = attractive, at least when compared with dysmorphic. Statistically averaged faces are the most attractive overall, and that's what cephalometrics are based on - averages.

Are you guys having problems because you are trying to "correct" things that are already within the normal range?

Okay so I have to update on this. I looked through my analysis from cephx.com in more detail and looks like I could benefit from a bit of ccw. f**k. Also will need downgrafting if so since my front maxilla was already impacted a bit in the prior surgery and I can't afford any more unless I want to stop showing my upper teeth.

According to Clark analysis my occlusional plane is 10.48 and it should be 8 +/-2. Not far off, but I do think ccw does a good job of masculinizing the face which I could benefit from. It would also help lengthen my ramus which is 5 mm too short.

Probably this would only need 2-3 mm of posterior downgrafting. Guessing I won't be able to convince Caminiti to do this from what people are saying here. I'll be doing all my consults in 4 months so I'll let you know what he says. If he agrees to do it id prefer to go with him, but we'll see.

I'll meet dr. Ho too. I don't know if ho could handle the complex revision and sarpe as well though. Otherwise I'm stuck with Americans like gunson and wolford which will cost me 5-10x more.

Tough.

For reference I need:
- Sarpe 1.2 cm expansion
- 2-3 degrees ccw
- teeth realigned and then maxilla advanced another 3 mm.
- a few degrees of cant correction and midline shift

Ideally without any overall impaction or distraction if the maxilla at the front incisor.

Tough job I think especially given that its a revision.

ditterbo

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »
Don't trust any of those cephx analyses for your occlusal plane angle.

secondtimearound

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 03:40:32 PM »
Don't trust any of those cephx analyses for your occlusal plane angle.

Is there a common problem with them I should be aware of?

I can tweak the landmarks myself for a different result as needed. I notice the alignment through the molars might not be exact. I am only on my phone so I will go do that in a few days when I'm home.

ditterbo

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 04:59:29 PM »
Go to a max fac to confirm your occlusal plane and any other number for that matter. Clarks was off 3 degrees compared to what my max facs consult surgeon measured.