Author Topic: Do you think I need jaw surgery?  (Read 3164 times)

PloskoPlus

Re: Do you think I need jaw surgery?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 02:23:32 PM »
Jaw surgery would definitely be worthwhile, but only with a good surgeon. Most are butchers.

Tati

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 08:18:22 AM »
Ok, got it.. I guess I just related your statement to my experience

Jayyy1

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 02:44:08 PM »
Hi Lastwish, I also had a consultation with Hang a few years ago and felt there were a lot of red flags. Although as other posters mention that he's correct about early childhood ortho (non-extraction, but many orthos realize that today), he is generally not well-regarded in the medical community. When I went to my current ortho he told me that Hang is not scientific and has hurt people in the past. I think he has a few lawsuits out against him. I got the sense he has good online marketing -- when you google "adult palate expansion" he's the first to come up.

I think he also has a habit of telling people they have small airways when they're normal-sized (he told me my airway was tiny, but I spoke to two surgeons who work with sleep apnea who told me it was not too bad). I think he pushed this surgery on a lot of people, and I think I was duped a bit. I would definitely consult with an OS of good repute and not base everything on one orthodontist's opinion.

As for me, I'm a 30-something woman who just had jaw surgery in the SoCal area. It helped with my sleep and breathing a bit, but I ultimately think my issue was my nasal breathing. Also you look really great! Way better than me, both before and after surgery. I wouldn't count on jaw surgery to completely change your looks, as that seems reserved for people with pronounced underbites, overbites or extreme assymmetry. I thought there would be a sizeable improvement in esthetics for me, but I basically look exactly the same.

Definitely consult an maxillofacial surgeon and an ENT first on your breathing issues and bring (or have them take) your cone beam scan, don't take Hang's word for it. (However, the surgeon Hang works with does seem really great, extremely cutting edge and knowledgeable. Had a Skype consulation with Dr. Movahed. I just didn't want to work with Hang.) If you do decide to go for it, definitely take your time to choose your team and talk to your friends and family about it. Whether your decision for moving forward with this is functional or esthetic, do not be ashamed. It's your face, your decision. Just make sure to understand it is a super long and difficult process. I'm not sure if I would do it again, if given the chance, but maybe those are just my results.