Author Topic: Bone grew over plate?  (Read 1348 times)

improvedchin

Bone grew over plate?
« on: December 02, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »
I had a sliding genioplasty about 3 years ago, and recently my surgeon had gone back in to remove the plate, but the bone had grown over so only the removal of 2 screws were possible. Has something like this ever happened to anyone here? Is it possible to get the plate embedded within the bone out?

tim06

• Private
Re: Bone grew over plate?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:03:05 PM »
I had a sliding genioplasty about 3 years ago, and recently my surgeon had gone back in to remove the plate, but the bone had grown over so only the removal of 2 screws were possible. Has something like this ever happened to anyone here? Is it possible to get the plate embedded within the bone out?

Why haven't you asked your surgeon? He is the only one that can answer it.

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »
More generally speaking, why can't the doc just take a chisel and cut the offending bone out that's grown over the plate?

secondtimearound

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »

The surgeon I consulted with for revision, Dr. Caminiti, said when he does revisions he will try to take the hardware out, but if the bone has overgrown it he will just saw right through it and leave it in place. In his words "it's just more decoration on your xray".

Point is its not always possible or necessary to take it all out at least in his opinion.

secondtimearound

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 08:04:55 PM »
I had my plates and screws removed 1 year post bimax. They removed everything except 1 screw that apparently had bone grown over it.

Why did you have that done? Seems like a lot of further surgery for no obvious benefit. They'd have to recut everything of the soft tissue and tear it all back open again to get to the hardware. Were you numb again after this second procedure?