Author Topic: Silly question but  (Read 1702 times)

startalk

Silly question but
« on: December 08, 2017, 01:34:50 PM »
Are there any new techniques/things introduced in orthognathic surgery field in last couple of years?

GJ

• Administrator
Re: Silly question but
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 02:14:18 PM »
Are there any new techniques/things introduced in orthognathic surgery field in last couple of years?

Not that I know of, but I think that's a good question. Techniques that are less invasive should be noted and discussed.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

startalk

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »
Not that I know of, but I think that's a good question. Techniques that are less invasive should be noted and discussed.

I heard that they are now using piezoelectric saw and that it reduces blood loss by 33% and nerve injury by 25%. Damn, it would be nice if something could shorten the surgery time.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 07:23:52 PM »
There is a new technique by some French max-faxs where they can decrease the mandibular plane angle much more than can be done with just CCW. It's like an 'inverted L' but more so. So, for someone with a really high MP slope, they can drop it down and advance. I'll find the paper later if anyone is interested.

ETA: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S246878551630009X
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

startalk

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 02:43:58 AM »
There is a new technique by some French max-faxs where they can decrease the mandibular plane angle much more than can be done with just CCW. It's like an 'inverted L' but more so. So, for someone with a really high MP slope, they can drop it down and advance. I'll find the paper later if anyone is interested.

ETA: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S246878551630009X

Thank you very much!
Really nice work.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 11:58:03 AM »
It kind of looks like the new 'it' surgery which can address extreme hyperdivergence and recession at same time and also looks like it could be a good option/substitute for those who would get a BSSO and a 'chin wing' during same surgery.

shnk

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 08:56:39 PM »
It kind of looks like the new 'it' surgery which can address extreme hyperdivergence and recession at same time and also looks like it could be a good option/substitute for those who would get a BSSO and a 'chin wing' during same surgery.

Thats crazy. Those results are amazing. Im assuming this is only performed by a few surgeons? So they can decrease the angle of the MP with just a lower jaw surgery? Do you think people specializing in CCW will be offering this in the future?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 09:06:43 PM »
Thats crazy. Those results are amazing. Im assuming this is only performed by a few surgeons? So they can decrease the angle of the MP with just a lower jaw surgery? Do you think people specializing in CCW will be offering this in the future?

No idea if surgeons other than the authors of that paper do it. Although they also do an upper jaw surgery, the outcomes for this paper decrease the  MP angle more than CCW alone would seem to do. That's because a high MP angle can come from SHORT ramus and this surgery lengthens the ramus (drops it down) along with the forward movement it does. CCW isn't really a 'fancy' cut. This surgery is a 'fancy' cut.

shnk

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 09:55:48 PM »
No idea if surgeons other than the authors of that paper do it. Although they also do an upper jaw surgery, the outcomes for this paper decrease the  MP angle more than CCW alone would seem to do. That's because a high MP angle can come from SHORT ramus and this surgery lengthens the ramus (drops it down) along with the forward movement it does. CCW isn't really a 'fancy' cut. This surgery is a 'fancy' cut.

Ahh so this is a double jaw surgery?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:59:05 AM »
Ahh so this is a double jaw surgery?

Those are the cases shown in the paper (double jaw).