Author Topic: ORBITAL BOX OSTEOTOMY  (Read 10589 times)

Lazlo

• Private
ORBITAL BOX OSTEOTOMY
« on: December 29, 2017, 01:23:23 AM »
I wanna know which doctors do this surgery to increase IPD (interpupillary distance). I know Dr. Sinn can do it but only with a Neurosurgeon and in a hospital so its VERY expensive and out of most of our price ranges. I heard there was another surgeon who did it too but I don't know the name.

I'm really pissed off at some of the people on this forum who benefit from our painstaking research getting what we know from hard won time and literally tens of thousands of dollars and pain and tears and then DON'T CONTRIBUTE BY GIVING DRS' NAMES, BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS, f**kING REPORTS ON WHO DOES WHAT.

KARMA IS A b*tch AND TRUST ME. IF YOU"RE ON HERE JUST USING, YOU'LL PROBABLY GET A s**t RESULT. f**k YOU USERS.

Anyway, answer the question freak b*tches. Who does ORBITAL BOX OSTEOTOMY???

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: ORBITAL BOX OSTEOTOMY
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 08:29:38 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, this is done in pediatric dept on children with very large extent of hyper or hypo telelorism and has about an error range of 3mm where the error range would still be an improvement compared to the excessively far set or close set distance of the eyes. However, this error range would be unacceptable for a cosmetic patient wanting a differential within 3mm either way.

There is a surgery where they can displace part of the LATERAL orbital rim with the lateral canthus still on it as to elongate the palpebral fissure length. However, that would not address a narrow (close set) distance between the eyes and of course, not the orbital box osteotomy.

I've never come across anyone actually having this done for adult cosmetics. Finding out which doctors did it could be done by researching which hospitals have good pediatric departments for cranio-facial deformities and getting the names of the doctors. Hypo or hypertelorism is often associated with other cranio facial deformities. However, I would speculate that a request to any of the doctors who performed this would be returned by a 'no'. A 3mm differential which is about the error range of the surgery would negate a cosmetic request because a cosmetic request would be one where 3mm BEYOND the cosmetic request would be unacceptable. Not to mention the RISKS associated with the surgery.

I tend to think that people DO look into it as a possibility, track down names of cranio-facial docs in pediatric departments who do it and just find out the answer is 'NO'. The pursuit ENDS
That said, do you have any reason to believe that anyone around here who is non-clinically deformed, has actually had the orbital box osteo for the small mm differentials associated with cosmetic complaints?
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Lefortitude

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:06:39 AM »
if you want a surgeon to perform a cosmetic orbital box osteotomy on a non syndromic patient, you need an unethical surgeon, or to pay for someone like sinn.

even Eppley wouldent even consider that.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 12:48:09 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, this is done in pediatric dept on children with very large extent of hyper or hypo telelorism and has about an error range of 3mm where the error range would still be an improvement compared to the excessively far set or close set distance of the eyes. However, this error range would be unacceptable for a cosmetic patient wanting a differential within 3mm either way.

There is a surgery where they can displace part of the LATERAL orbital rim with the lateral canthus still on it as to elongate the palpebral fissure length. However, that would not address a narrow (close set) distance between the eyes and of course, not the orbital box osteotomy.

I've never come across anyone actually having this done for adult cosmetics. Finding out which doctors did it could be done by researching which hospitals have good pediatric departments for cranio-facial deformities and getting the names of the doctors. Hypo or hypertelorism is often associated with other cranio facial deformities. However, I would speculate that a request to any of the doctors who performed this would be returned by a 'no'. A 3mm differential which is about the error range of the surgery would negate a cosmetic request because a cosmetic request would be one where 3mm BEYOND the cosmetic request would be unacceptable. Not to mention the RISKS associated with the surgery.

I tend to think that people DO look into it as a possibility, track down names of cranio-facial docs in pediatric departments who do it and just find out the answer is 'NO'. The pursuit ENDS
That said, do you have any reason to believe that anyone around here who is non-clinically deformed, has actually had the orbital box osteo for the small mm differentials associated with cosmetic complaints?

I know someone has had it done (the person was already pretty, it was a woman) and that person has the mfl3 also. But this person clearly has come onto this forum and reaped from our experiences and not given back one ioata of information.

I actually have Anonymous looking into it, so that person better come clean and just give us an account of what she had done. No need for pics. But tell us your doctor and how the procedure turned out, complications, if it met expectations etc. Otherwise....

secondtimearound

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 04:26:58 AM »
The fact that it has to be done with a neurosurgeon should tell you what you need to know. Are you comfortable with risks of csf leak, nerve entrapment, strabismus, diplopia, vertical misaligments, widening of the nasal bridge, or death?

This is a meme surgery of the highest tier. I have low ipd too but some things in life you just have to live with.

Lestat

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 05:14:04 AM »
K. Salyer maybe. But why are you researching for it? You do not need that!

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 07:14:30 AM »

I know someone has had it done (the person was already pretty, it was a woman) and that person has the mfl3 also. But this person clearly has come onto this forum and reaped from our experiences and not given back one ioata of information.

I actually have Anonymous looking into it, so that person better come clean and just give us an account of what she had done. No need for pics. But tell us your doctor and how the procedure turned out, complications, if it met expectations etc. Otherwise....

Is the person a member of this forum?

boyo

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 07:28:25 AM »
There is a surgery where they can displace part of the LATERAL orbital rim with the lateral canthus still on it as to elongate the palpebral fissure length.
Is this doable or just another meme surgery like lf3?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 07:59:47 AM »
Is this doable or just another meme surgery like lf3?

It seems like it could be but I think a bridge to bone drill hole canthopexy might also do similar or maybe just a strong pull from upper side of face next to temple hairline could do similar.

Anyway, I think the surgery where the lateral orbital rim with canthus still on it was mentioned in reference to something Sinn does.

Bobbit

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
if you want a surgeon to perform a cosmetic orbital box osteotomy on a non syndromic patient, you need an unethical surgeon, or to pay for someone like sinn.

even Eppley wouldent even consider that.

Here is the problem:

The risk/ benefit  ratio of doing these surgeries for non syndrome / non accident  patients - - is so dramatically HIGH that if any surgeon agrees to do this surgery for purely cosmetic reasons on a person who is able to otherwise live a normal life - - then that surgeon is setting themselves up for a serious malpractice suit if something goes wrong,  or even if something does not  "go right."   There is almost no way for a surgeon to defend the decision to do that surgery on an otherwise normal face, for purely cosmetic reasons.

OTOH,  surgeons who have done a number of those surgeries for syndromic patients - - tend to be very very skilled and their "tool bag" of surgical skills and experience as a foundation for doing other forms of facial bone restructuring is likely significantly enhanced.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 12:37:11 PM »
Here is the problem:

The risk/ benefit  ratio of doing these surgeries for non syndrome / non accident  patients - - is so dramatically HIGH that if any surgeon agrees to do this surgery for purely cosmetic reasons on a person who is able to otherwise live a normal life - - then that surgeon is setting themselves up for a serious malpractice suit if something goes wrong,  or even if something does not  "go right."   There is almost no way for a surgeon to defend the decision to do that surgery on an otherwise normal face, for purely cosmetic reasons.

OTOH,  surgeons who have done a number of those surgeries for syndromic patients - - tend to be very very skilled and their "tool bag" of surgical skills and experience as a foundation for doing other forms of facial bone restructuring is likely significantly enhanced.

Maybe that explains why the person who Lazlo said had it is not naming the doc. I mean IF a doc DID accommodate that for a non syndrome patient, let's say a VAIN one, he  would probably FORBID the patient from mentioning it in a public venue or even telling anyone.

Lefortitude

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 02:56:25 PM »
Maybe that explains why the person who Lazlo said had it is not naming the doc. I mean IF a doc DID accommodate that for a non syndrome patient, let's say a VAIN one, he  would probably FORBID the patient from mentioning it in a public venue or even telling anyone.

without a doubt this is true.  I have heard of non syndrome patients undergoing similar procedures, and never releasing the name of the doctors who perform them.  whenever i see coronal incision, is a no from me dawg.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 04:07:23 PM »
When that TOP cranial bone section is removed, the brain is exposed.

Bobbit

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 06:34:50 PM »
When that TOP cranial bone section is removed, the brain is exposed.

Even when these surgeons are doing medical mission work in 2nd or 3rd world countries and working on syndromic children - - they always have a neurosurgeon along when they have the brain exposed.   Ideally the neurosurgeon will never have to pick up a scalpel.   But I am pretty sure having the neurosurgeon in the OR is the rule.

Lestat

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 05:29:25 AM »
Some good surgeons without morals will do it for the cash. Mostly out of the country. Just cause there is a line that surgeons wont cross publicaly, doesnt mean there arent like a 100 good surgeons that would do it underhand. It happens ALL the TIME. Like it said, mostly by foreign surgeons.