Author Topic: Getting private US insurance that will cover jaw surgery and hospital costs?  (Read 1370 times)

secondtimearound

I have obvious structural problems with my jaws that would be considered noncosmetic to repair. I'm not confident I can find a local surgeon in my country I will be happy with to handle it and will likely need to go to an American surgeon.

I'd rather not pay 50k+ for surgeon and hospital fees, though I will if I have to.

Does anyone know if there are insurance companies that will cover this sort of thing I'd you get a policy and if you can get on their plans as a non-American?

Dogmatix

• Private
I'm as close to certain as I can bee that this is impossible. It would be a safe road to bankruptcy for any insurance company to offer anyone to get an insurance and then directly sign up for a surgery, US citizen or not. It's not an insurance if you sign up for it and already know what you're gonna claim. Then it's more like a rebate system, which I'm sure they're not in for.

secondtimearound

I'm as close to certain as I can bee that this is impossible. It would be a safe road to bankruptcy for any insurance company to offer anyone to get an insurance and then directly sign up for a surgery, US citizen or not. It's not an insurance if you sign up for it and already know what you're gonna claim. Then it's more like a rebate system, which I'm sure they're not in for.

How could they stop you? If they do an evaluation for pre-existing conditions, you would declare you have a crossbite/openbite/malocclusion on the list.

If they approve you then they become liable for any surgeries you get thereafter. No?

I guess the problem would be even if you got insurance they will try to tell you to go to jaw surgeon X at hospital Y for a budget job and then you're no farther ahead.

So yeah, probably impossible. Okay.

Dogmatix

• Private
How could they stop you? If they do an evaluation for pre-existing conditions, you would declare you have a crossbite/openbite/malocclusion on the list.

If they approve you then they become liable for any surgeries you get thereafter. No?

Not gonna happen. Insurance companies are very aware of situations like these, and practically never cover anything that you bring into the insurance. If you declare a condition, then it's excluded, and even if you dont declare it, it's easy for them to know that this was not a problem you got after signing up for the insurance and will not pay for it. Like I said, an insurance is not a rebate system that you can sign up for when you need it. These are basic principals of any insurance.

CCW

European surgeons a lot cheaper than American surgeons, so you might want to consider consulting with guys like Raffaini and Alfaro.