Author Topic: Do I have too much mandibular forward growth? Does my maxilla appear recessed?  (Read 2452 times)

JimConcrete

Sometimes I think my jaw+chin look very good. Sometimes I think they look gross. One reason I believe it is overgrown is that it causes me to look pouty from the front and makes my lips downturned. I think my chin is literally pulling my mouth downwards. Lastly, I’m not sure if forward head posture or tilting my head is responsible for my jaw+chin to look like this. I’m not jutting in any of these pics.

https://imgur.com/a/rl7yE

I included a legit side profile on the FHP + normal posture here:

https://i.imgur.com/SWVu3dZ.jpg

kavan

• Global Moderator
Sometimes I think my jaw+chin look very good. Sometimes I think they look gross. One reason I believe it is overgrown is that it causes me to look pouty from the front and makes my lips downturned. I think my chin is literally pulling my mouth downwards. Lastly, I’m not sure if forward head posture or tilting my head is responsible for my jaw+chin to look like this. I’m not jutting in any of these pics.

https://imgur.com/a/rl7yE

I included a legit side profile on the FHP + normal posture here:

https://i.imgur.com/SWVu3dZ.jpg

"Do I have too much mandibular forward growth? Does my maxilla appear recessed?"

Question sounds like the new reincarnation of; 'Does my ass look too big in these pants?'.

What you have is a prominent chin. Drop a straight vertical from the lower lip. Your chin goes beyond that. In terms of aesthetic balance, the chin should just 'kiss' that drop down line. However, sometimes males have a preference for it to extend past the vertical drop as does yours.

If you had too much lower jaw growth and or a recessed upper jaw or even the appearance of such, the lower lip would be forward to the upper lip. It is not. Your lips are lined up.

'Legit' side profile. My ass.  You cut off your chin in that photo.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 08:04:06 AM by kavan »
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

JimConcrete

Thank you two for the responses. I’m only asking y’all because I’ve heard conflicting opinions on this issue.

The “legit” side profile pic is my best effort at getting my head on the Frankfurt Horizontal Plane while maintaining normal posture. I actually didn’t cut my chin off there. If you zoom in you can literally see my facial hair sticking out. But here’s the full pic for proof: https://imgur.com/a/hJOOX  (not sure if this is on FHP)

I guess my last question is why is my default expression a scowl? I’ve been told it’s becuase of my chin protrusion and a whole host of other things. One guy (he used fancy words so it seemed like he knew what he was talking about) said it was because I had an upswung anterior maxilla with hyper upswung aveolar processes and a short chin. Lol. I know I should visit a professional if I want to find out the truth but I figured this was the next best place.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Thank you two for the responses. I’m only asking y’all because I’ve heard conflicting opinions on this issue.

The “legit” side profile pic is my best effort at getting my head on the Frankfurt Horizontal Plane while maintaining normal posture. I actually didn’t cut my chin off there. If you zoom in you can literally see my facial hair sticking out. But here’s the full pic for proof: https://imgur.com/a/hJOOX  (not sure if this is on FHP)

I guess my last question is why is my default expression a scowl? I’ve been told it’s becuase of my chin protrusion and a whole host of other things. One guy (he used fancy words so it seemed like he knew what he was talking about) said it was because I had an upswung anterior maxilla with hyper upswung aveolar processes and a short chin. Lol. I know I should visit a professional if I want to find out the truth but I figured this was the next best place.

Well, the full pic you just showed is proof your alterations of the first rendition of that pic sliced off a curve to the chin. No idea why you altered it but so sloppy. The original pic is better and you should never remove a shadow because a shadow is basically a contour diagram.

I will disregard any 'information', most likely from lookism.

ditterbo

Is it the sharp labiomental angle you don't like? that's a sort of easy fix, namely HA paste or whatever. haven't looked into that much but augmenting the crease is a thing.

Lefortitude

Is it the sharp labiomental angle you don't like? that's a sort of easy fix, namely HA paste or whatever. haven't looked into that much but augmenting the crease is a thing.

yes the only thing i see that can be improved is the labiomental fold, which is easily corrected, highly predictable and yeilds good results.

dont listen to lookism that place is the worst.

also you look good. go away, enjoy your life.

JimConcrete

Thank you guys. I haven’t taken the info I’ve gotten from other sources seriously. That’s why I ended up here.

As for the deep mentolabial fold, is that remedied by fillers? Isn’t a deep mentolabial fold a sign of a deep chin? Or is it just from the mentalis itself being weak?

I’m still unsure why my default expression is a scowl. That’s probably my main concern now after hearing your all’s input.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Thank you guys. I haven’t taken the info I’ve gotten from other sources seriously. That’s why I ended up here.

As for the deep mentolabial fold, is that remedied by fillers? Isn’t a deep mentolabial fold a sign of a deep chin? Or is it just from the mentalis itself being weak?

I’m still unsure why my default expression is a scowl. That’s probably my main concern now after hearing your all’s input.

This is not seen on the profile shots.

ETA deep chin groove is associated with an overly advanced chin. It is not a big problem.

JimConcrete

There are frontal pics as well. The second to last pic in particular

Lefortitude

ETA deep chin groove is associated with an overly advanced chin. It is not a big problem.

Overly advanced chin RELATIVE to the position of the lower teeth and Lower anterior facial height. 

for example, an overly advanced chin with a tall lower face (high LAFH) will not result in a deep labiomental fold. Since sliding genioplasties can increase lower anterior facial height, it can reduce a labiomental fold, even in an already overly prominent chin.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Overly advanced chin RELATIVE to the position of the lower teeth and Lower anterior facial height. 

for example, an overly advanced chin with a tall lower face (high LAFH) will not result in a deep labiomental fold. Since sliding genioplasties can increase lower anterior facial height, it can reduce a labiomental fold, even in an already overly prominent chin.

Well, ok but my statement was in reference to the OP with overly advanced chin relative to a drop down vertical from lower lip.

kavan

• Global Moderator
There are frontal pics as well. The second to last pic in particular

Do you have a different descriptor other than a 'scowl'. I associate scowls with knit brows--you know--frowning, crunched up corrugator muscles. You don't have that.

JimConcrete

Do you have a different descriptor other than a 'scowl'. I associate scowls with knit brows--you know--frowning, crunched up corrugator muscles. You don't have that.

My lips are down turned. I appear that I’m frowning all the time

kavan

• Global Moderator
My lips are down turned. I appear that I’m frowning all the time

You don't look like frowning. But you have a large brow boss--protuberance. Lip corner turn down could be from short Depressor Angle Oris muscle--more developed than lip corner elevators (smiling muscles). Do smile exercises and/ or botox to DAO muscles.