Author Topic: Starting this process-my profile pic  (Read 1051 times)

talia7

Starting this process-my profile pic
« on: January 07, 2018, 02:52:17 PM »
Please excuse my appearance here :D I want opinions on what I’ll likely need done on my jaws. I’m not looking for absolute perfection; I just want to look normal and not deformed. I know my nose is big, hoping it’ll look less huge with proper jaw positioning. I had braces as a teen and briefly 4 or so years ago. I’ve always had a small lower face but the retruding chin has become pretty bad in the last decade. I have an overbite and overjet. Chewing and even speaking have become very tiresome and I have a lot of pain going down into neck. I thought maybe I’ll just need lower jaw advanced and a Genio, but when I pull my bottom jaw forward to make my bite correct, my lower jaw still looks slightly retruded, so I’m wondering if maybe I’ll need a bit of a Lefort? 1? I also hate my labiomental fold and I hope that it isn’t going to become worse, I hate that witch look. But that’s a smaller concern, I suppose. I do not have a gummy smile.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:06:02 PM by GJ »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Starting this process-my profile pic
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 03:36:34 PM »
Although from the photo alone and not looking at the bone structure and dental relationships, we could say; 'Single jaw BSSO with genio' but it would probably resolve to bimax because they often need to move around the upper jaw to get the advancement to the lower jaw needed.

The upward angulation of the nose and somewhat of a tethering to the labial ledge to the nose base could be an indicator that the anterior nasal spine is upwardly inclined (but we can't see because no X ray), so special nose techniques would probably be needed to be done in the act of counter clockwise rotating the maxilla in order to maximize the jaw advancement. Could also require some down grafts to the posterior maxilla.

What type of displacements they need to do is hard to call with just a photo. But ya, you are a candidate for maxfax surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

Chello

Re: Starting this process-my profile pic
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 02:17:09 PM »
I have a similar profile to you (though my nose is bigger) and was due to have surgery when I was in my 20s, but didn't go ahead. For me they said just lower jaw advancement would be enough, that was with a 13mm overjet and overbite (I don't know the measurement for that). I know what you mean about it getting worse with age, the food I am able to eat reduces with each year that passes. I think I will be on baby food before too long  :(
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:30:57 PM by Chello »