Author Topic: General reference for aesthetic standards?  (Read 991 times)

logan

General reference for aesthetic standards?
« on: June 28, 2020, 12:18:18 PM »
Making a separate post because this is a more general question specifically about aesthetics

Does anyone have a good reference (pdf, book, video) describing how to identify key cephalometric measurements and what normal/ideal ranges are?

Of course this is the surgeon's job to figure out, but I'd like to be able to understand the process and check that in general things make sense to me as well (and I just figured out how to easily measure angles and distances on my own radiogaphs). E.g. what is a normal occlusal plane, mandibular plane, chin projection, anterior tooth overlap and incisor show, other important face angle measurements for women, etc

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: General reference for aesthetic standards?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 01:45:01 PM »
Try cephX to learn the points. SCROLL DOWN on this page:

https://cephx.com/tag/cephalometric-anlaysis/

For norms for common relationships like OP, MPA, etc., you can just google; 'norm for____'. But you have to be careful because they can be relative to DIFFERENT types of ceph analysis of which there are MANY. For example, a Steiner analysis (which is quite popular), the 'S' point is used (because it's easy to see on the X ray and easier than 'Frankfort horizontal where one of the points (Po) that make up that FH LINE is hard to find on the ceph). That is very good for finding SNA, SNB and ANB angles and then looking up the norms. However, the MPA and OPs (angles) will DIFFER in a Steiner analysis than from an analysis where the Frankfort horizont is used because different lines (by connecting 2 points) are used to reference the angle.

Myself, I like the Arnett/Gunson type analysis which posits WHERE a 'true vertical line' needs to pass through and sometimes, this also posits a true HORIZONT (perpendicular to the TVL) that is parallel to the floor. But it's not always the Frankfurt horizont simply because the FH, itself, might not be parallel to the floor in all people or they might not hold their heads so it is. This often involes rotating a ceph clockwise (and degrees of rotation can differ depending on the case) to where all the places they want the TVL to pass through. Sometimes FH is perpendicular, sometimes not. I think something in that venue can be found in the articles listed on the educational section.

A lot of maxfax concepts are very INTUITIVE providing you have basic elementary geometry under belt can 'relate' it to maxfax concepts. Helps if you can rotate things in your head. The more above average IQ one has, the easier it gets.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

logan

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:10:28 PM »
Ah I didn't notice the education section before, should have posted this there.

Thanks for the reference!

I also came across this document which I found useful, even if it it does focus on the Frankfurt Horizontal rather than Arnett and Gunson's natural posture. I think based on my cephs these planes may be the nearly same for me (unless they sent the cephs already leveled, not sure)
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/9781118925225.app1

Picking up all the abbreviations and terminology is like learning another language, but I find the geometry part quite fun

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 09:33:26 AM »
Ah I didn't notice the education section before, should have posted this there.

Thanks for the reference!

I also came across this document which I found useful, even if it it does focus on the Frankfurt Horizontal rather than Arnett and Gunson's natural posture. I think based on my cephs these planes may be the nearly same for me (unless they sent the cephs already leveled, not sure)
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/9781118925225.app1

Picking up all the abbreviations and terminology is like learning another language, but I find the geometry part quite fun

Great find! I'll put the link in the educational section. As you can see, the basic concepts are very straight forward for those who have basic geometry under belt to relate them to.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.