Author Topic: How to Afford Jaw Surgery  (Read 2499 times)

RedLips

How to Afford Jaw Surgery
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:34:54 PM »
I don't know about you all, but I'm a schoolteacher and I don't make a whole lot. I do have insurance, but the best orthodontists and maxillofacial surgeons don't take any insurance.

How are you all affording braces and jaw surgery without going hungry? I'm struggling to figure it out.

brian626

Re: How to Afford Jaw Surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 11:12:27 PM »
From what I've seen there are 3 groups

1) NHS (government)
2) Insurance, as you said, the best may not take insurance but you could maybe find one that does. It's funny because i often see people asking whether their insurance will cover it
3) they're loaded or loaded enough to take out a loan

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 03:24:04 AM »
I don't know about you all, but I'm a schoolteacher and I don't make a whole lot. I do have insurance, but the best orthodontists and maxillofacial surgeons don't take any insurance.

How are you all affording braces and jaw surgery without going hungry? I'm struggling to figure it out.

Right? Lots of scratch off tickets and long shots. Jk. I'm gonna have to eventually take out a loan if I can't save it all. I'm jealous of countries where it's free, but then again...hands are a little tied.
However......I just had a brilliant thought, though. We should start up a MaxFac pyramid structure where we all actually pay for each others surgeries on at a time. I'm totally kidding, but in an alternate reality-it works and everybody wins.  ;D

girl

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 06:37:24 PM »

Pot noodle diet  8)

Aside from that, you could find someone who does take your insurance, and prior to that, consult with a well known maxfax - taking your plans from them to the insurance doc.

From what I've seen there are 3 groups

1) NHS (government)
2) Insurance, as you said, the best may not take insurance but you could maybe find one that does. It's funny because i often see people asking whether their insurance will cover it
3) they're loaded or loaded enough to take out a loan

4) Parents

ditterbo

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 08:22:02 PM »
Pot noodle diet  8)

Aside from that, you could find someone who does take your insurance, and prior to that, consult with a well known maxfax - taking your plans from them to the insurance doc.
 4) Parents

Or you get recommended a plan that only a small handful of docs in the world could do (10mm posterior downgrafting) with the alternative/more common option being teeth extractions to an already narrow teeth arch. Happened to me anyways!

ITALIA

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »
Give yourself a plan over a number of years to save whats required.

ForeverAloneDude

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 08:31:27 PM »

I've heard of this thing called "care credit."

0% interest as long as you pay every single payment on time. Else, you're in trouble, though.

face_backward

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 03:35:57 AM »
the best orthodontists and maxillofacial surgeons don't take any insurance.

Speaking to the US only: By my understanding, "out of network with all providers" doesn't mean "everybody pays them out of pocket".  Presumably many of their clients have PPO insurance plans that still cover a portion of costs for out-of-network providers, but at a lower rate, or subject to a maximum benefit cap.  With an HMO plan you're probably screwed.