Author Topic: Forum's Future / Donations  (Read 168 times)

GJ

• Administrator
Forum's Future / Donations
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:46:21 PM »
Hey guys, the forum's hosting expires in June. If you'd like to keep it going, if it has helped you, etc, please consider a donation.

The Coinbase address are:

Bitcoin: 1AwY5KSLRLsHUYHe34a4wj12iWUYDogbWS
Ethereum: 0xf4657D14C5e4846Cbe37549394D52960E493994D

Thank you.
GJ

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Forum's Future / Donations
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 07:07:30 PM »
Make this a sticky.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 08:41:31 AM »
Make this a sticky.

Sure thing.

We have 5 months left. Offers to buy the forum welcome as well.

Framboise

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »
What does it mean ?
The forum will disappeared on the web ?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:13:25 PM »
What does it mean ?

It means he's running a board with no adverts, pop ups and not sponsored by doctors and paying for it himself and it would help if people who felt they were helped on here to give a modest donation.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 12:31:09 PM »
What does it mean ?

Yes, it will disappear and be gone completely in June.

It means he's running a board with no adverts, pop ups and not sponsored by doctors and paying for it himself and it would help if people who felt they were helped on here to give a modest donation.

This is accurate, too.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:15:36 PM »
Yes, it will disappear and be gone completely in June.

This is accurate, too.

Maybe start asking for modest donations for new sign ups.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 01:18:44 PM »
Maybe start asking for modest donations for new sign ups.

What's a fair donation for an account?

I'm open to other ideas as well. Google Ads didn't work because people clicked the same ads over and over (thanks, appreciate what you guys were trying to do, but they flagged it and banned the site because of it).

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »
What's a fair donation for an account?

I'm open to other ideas as well. Google Ads didn't work because people clicked the same ads over and over (thanks, appreciate what you guys were trying to do, but they flagged it and banned the site because of it).

I would say that $10 is a good starting point. If the population of very informed posters who answer questions gets HIGHER, then the donation requested can get higher. But usually a good idea to start with $10 or maybe give option for between $5 and $10.

Considering that what you are offering is:

AD FREE venue with no kowtowing to paid doctor sponsors.

VIGILENCE: Act of cutting down on multi-ID posters

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 02:18:47 PM »
There are also other things you could ask for even for someone to CONTINUE membership.
I call that a 'stealing from the library' fee.

For example, say you have posters (and I've seen this on here) who ask questions and get a LOT of feedback. Like they might get a morph, feedback from many or a lot of feedback from one--what ever-- BUT THEN, and too soon after, they want their posts deleted.

Consider that the questions the poster asked along with the FEEDBACK they got is also aimed at helping OTHERS who might have similar issues. I mean the 'spirit' of this type of board is a question from ONE person and feedback to it, should also be helpul to the 'many'. But when a poster then demands deletions of his/her entries, that doesn't happen and then you have the admin TASK of deleting their entries. For THAT, you should most definitely assess a FEE.

Why? Questions that get feedback where the poster soon after wants them deleted are self serving, add nothing to the public venue of the board readership and are TAXING for you to deal with delete requests to posters in the HABIT of doing this.

Consider that your posters who are giving feedback and/or even asking questions that get feedback are your RESOURCES. But when you get people who ask questions, get feedback and THEN want their posts removed (and POOF goes all of the feedback they got), they are DEPLETING your resources. There is no added value to other members by that type of member and extra work for you to accommodate 'delete my posts' requests. Hence, start assessing FEES for that type to continue. If not, a BAN so they don't repeat the same MO.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 02:56:07 PM »
$10 for an account seems high, unless the user is flagged (dupes, shady email, shady IP, etc).

I was thinking $1-$5 for an account (donation based on what they can spare) in good standing, and then $10 to join the private forum.

I thought the private forum would be more successful. Problem has been I have to screen everyone so much before letting them in. If I get more liberal with that it would be the way to pay hosting fees.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 03:25:56 PM »
$10 for an account seems high, unless the user is flagged (dupes, shady email, shady IP, etc).

I was thinking $1-$5 for an account (donation based on what they can spare) in good standing, and then $10 to join the private forum.

I thought the private forum would be more successful. Problem has been I have to screen everyone so much before letting them in. If I get more liberal with that it would be the way to pay hosting fees.

Another thing that you could definitely request new member contributions for is for participation on the AESTHETICS section of the board.

Consider, when you started the board it was about jaw surgery, you know applicable to people with significant deviations from the norm getting MAX-FAX surgery. But now you are heavily populated with a lot of people self concious that they don't look enough like male models and/or are entertaining bone cuts just for aesthetic PREFERENCES alone. Questions like; 'Is my maxilla recessed?' Newbies feeling they need L3s, orbital box osteos, chin wings, jaw implants, fat grafts etc..stuff like that.

You should definitely request some financial backing for queries to the AESTHETIC section as to make that section semi-private as in 'read only' OR just let people know you have an aesthetic section BUT it is PRIVATE contribution ONLY for entry.

ditterbo

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 04:45:18 PM »
Reading the aesthetic section gives a guest at least like 70% of the value of that board in the first place. Most people would rather not post about themselves, let alone post pictures to get any meaningful feedback.  IMO aesthetics should be behind a pay wall for at least new members. And then carry over to this section all the topics in the 'functional' section that are really aesthetics-centered

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »
I could make the Aesthetics section read-only pending a donation. That's an option. Not sure making it invisible/private is the way to go because nobody would know it exists.

There is a private forum that is invisible, and it's for members who make a donation and want to post photos that aren't public.

It would be nice if people who use the form simply donate a buck or two. That would solve a lot of this. It's interesting that it's hard to get that from donations given how much the site helps people.

ditterbo

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »
I could make the Aesthetics section read-only pending a donation. That's an option. Not sure making it invisible/private is the way to go because nobody would know it exists.

There is a private forum that is invisible, and it's for members who make a donation and want to post photos that aren't public.

It would be nice if people who use the form simply donate a buck or two. That would solve a lot of this. It's interesting that it's hard to get that from donations given how much the site helps people.

I mean make the aesthetics section link publicly listed, note it's restricted to like premium membership or whatever, and then like if people click on it they get sent to a pay gate. 

Regarding the private forum, maybe you/Kavan can take your highest karma users, screen them and grant them access to the private forum.  Consider it a long term investment in that forum's health. An infusion of active, respected members in that forum may jumpstart the value of that forum and make more people want in. Also no one knows about it, so maybe the board link should be visible to members (not guests) so they inquire about it and pay in.