Author Topic: Forum's Future / Donations  (Read 365 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Forum's Future / Donations
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
I could make the Aesthetics section read-only pending a donation. That's an option. Not sure making it invisible/private is the way to go because nobody would know it exists.

There is a private forum that is invisible, and it's for members who make a donation and want to post photos that aren't public.

It would be nice if people who use the form simply donate a buck or two. That would solve a lot of this. It's interesting that it's hard to get that from donations given how much the site helps people.

Yes. Correct. People should know there IS an aesthetic forum. So, it's existence should very visible. So, if you wanted to ISOLATE fees, it could be to the group of people just wanting aesthetic feedback. Might cut down the population of the overflow that comes from  [you know where]. But that would not be a bad thing because that segment of the population is more 'taxing' to the mods and admin than those who seriously NEED jaw surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 05:32:57 PM »
Reading the aesthetic section gives a guest at least like 70% of the value of that board in the first place. Most people would rather not post about themselves, let alone post pictures to get any meaningful feedback.  IMO aesthetics should be behind a pay wall for at least new members. And then carry over to this section all the topics in the 'functional' section that are really aesthetics-centered

BINGO.

ditterbo

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 06:12:13 PM »
BINGO.

to put a finer point on my point there - pay wall AND not readable by guests/members, just that it's there as a link for you to click to pay in to the board if you want access. same mechanism for the private board, but ideally the link is view-able but only to members. clicking it brings up the paywall - same in that respect as the aesthetic board.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 06:25:19 PM by ditterbo »

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 06:19:18 PM »
to put a finer point on my point there - pay wall AND not readable by guests/members, just that it's there as a link for you to click to pay in to the board if you want access.

Yes. That is a good refinement.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 06:27:19 PM »
I mean make the aesthetics section link publicly listed, note it's restricted to like premium membership or whatever, and then like if people click on it they get sent to a pay gate. 

Regarding the private forum, maybe you/Kavan can take your highest karma users, screen them and grant them access to the private forum.  Consider it a long term investment in that forum's health. An infusion of active, respected members in that forum may jumpstart the value of that forum and make more people want in. Also no one knows about it, so maybe the board link should be visible to members (not guests) so they inquire about it and pay in.

Good ideas, thanks. I used to have a link up mentioning the private forum. Some people did join and donate via that, but it's not enough to sustain hosting fees.

I'll work on these ideas. All ideas welcome.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 06:48:01 PM »
Good ideas, thanks. I used to have a link up mentioning the private forum. Some people did join and donate via that, but it's not enough to sustain hosting fees.

I'll work on these ideas. All ideas welcome.

Well, the private forum is for people who don't want to put their photo up for public viewing. Now with your aesthetic questions, lots come from OVERFLOW from [you know where] where they are posting their photos. You win either way with those types.  If they fork up to have aesthetic attention, you got some $$ coming in. If they DON'T, well that is LESS of THAT type of overflow  less 'taxing' on your moderation (less work for you). You know all those multi-ID users you have to watch out for.... well a lot of them come from [you know where] where the ownership ENCOURAGES them to have many 'alts'.

ditterbo

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 06:08:20 AM »
Another idea for aesthetics forum - sliding scale payment options. Pay less for only read access, pay a tad more for read and write.

ditterbo

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 08:17:12 AM »
Also maybe find a way to make a big announcement post to the forum main page that you need funding etc before the date.  Like how Wikipedia does it.

fulcanelli

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2018, 03:36:29 AM »
Hey guys, the forum's hosting expires in June. If you'd like to keep it going, if it has helped you, etc, please consider a donation.

The Coinbase address are:

Bitcoin: 1AwY5KSLRLsHUYHe34a4wj12iWUYDogbWS
Ethereum: 0xf4657D14C5e4846Cbe37549394D52960E493994D

Thank you.
GJ

What is that??? Get a PayPal account and I’ll pay a few dollars or something

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 05:39:49 PM »
What is that???

It's bitcoin. Paypal is dated.