Author Topic: Found this horror story  (Read 3580 times)

ArtVandelay

• Private
Found this horror story
« on: September 17, 2018, 12:28:11 PM »
Don't want to alarm anyone, including myself as I'm debating getting a revision, but look at this orthognathic horror story:

https://www.orthognathicsurgerydisasteratnyulangone.com/

april

• Private
Re: Found this horror story
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:58:49 PM »
Pretty scary. Seems like her surgeon was a reconstructive plastic surgeon who does FACE TRANSPLANTS. Her complications are probably seen as "minor" and acceptable to him in comparison.

ditterbo

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 08:09:45 PM »
A plastic surgeon and supposedly a Castle Connolly top doctor. Took the fractured part of her ramus out and left the whole soft tissue mass just hanging. What a clusterf**k.

And he has 0 malpractice claims, board sanctions, etc.. according to healthgrades.com. I wonder if they settled instead of went to court?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:18:32 PM by ditterbo »

april

• Private
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:47:56 PM »
Not successful against her orthodontist. She was unable to provide an expert witness. https://www.courtlistener.com/opinion/4347157/aura-daraba-v-jeffrey-j-sturdivant-dds-and-drs-sturdivant-and-mann/

ArtVandelay

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:52:20 PM »
I'm personally disgusted with NYU standing behind this operation but I guess this is how the game is played once the malpractice wheels start turning.

PloskoPlus

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »
Pretty scary. Seems like her surgeon was a reconstructive plastic surgeon who does FACE TRANSPLANTS. Her complications are probably seen as "minor" and acceptable to him in comparison.
Correct. That's why these "craniofacial syndrome/accident/paediatric miracle workers" should be avoided like the plague.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 10:20:28 AM »
I'm personally disgusted with NYU standing behind this operation but I guess this is how the game is played once the malpractice wheels start turning.

Well she won in a way, because now everyone should know not to go to NYU for surgery if this is how they handle things.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

april

• Private
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:38:44 AM »
She'll probably need much more than a joint replacement, there's probably not even enough bone for a normal TJR.

I have no idea about different types of cuts or what the protocol is for a fracture so this is all guesswork but looking at her first surgery, it looks as if he did half the cut, it fractured, and he slid that fractured piece UPWARDS and fixated it like that... Look at the coronoid process poking through her zygomatic bone.

https://www.orthognathicsurgerydisasteratnyulangone.com/uploads/3/7/0/0/37002061/1794295_orig.jpg
vs
https://www.orthognathicsurgerydisasteratnyulangone.com/uploads/3/7/0/0/37002061/5161987_orig.jpg

Correct. That's why these "craniofacial syndrome/accident/paediatric miracle workers" should be avoided like the plague.
Face transplants really take it to a whole new level. They put even the most deformed cases into perspective. Minor orthognathic cases wouldn't even stand a chance. And then, even when missing half her right jaw bone, this Rodriquez is probably still thinking "I've seen worse". He's likely VERY good at the complex microsurgery reconstructive stuff, but not good at all with jaw surgery.

But yeah, face transplants. If anyone here really wants to appreciate your own face (or feel super guilty for not doing so), google the Sept issue of National Geographic about the pretty girl who ended up needing a face transplant. "Story of a face". (Warning though, it's very graphic and disturbing.)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

ditterbo

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2018, 07:30:49 PM »
The doctor also shows no malpractice etc. on the site you'd find this at (link below). He's operating in a major hospital that actually my mom went to and also got bad surgery from another doctor there (for scoliosis and she recently had it completely redone, multiple docs agreeing it was a bad job). I also just watched a youtube video of a doctor removing a melanoma (I think I just found one on me), watched by hundreds of thousands of people, and the doc has nearly 100k subscribers. In the comments, anonymous doctors ' ' are claiming what a hack job the guy's doing on his patient, worst they've ever seen etc.. How the heck is one to cut through the bulls**t doctors these days with all this cover up.
https://nydoctorprofile.com/dispatch

ArtVandelay

• Private
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 05:19:12 PM »
The doctor also shows no malpractice etc. on the site you'd find this at (link below). He's operating in a major hospital that actually my mom went to and also got bad surgery from another doctor there (for scoliosis and she recently had it completely redone, multiple docs agreeing it was a bad job). I also just watched a youtube video of a doctor removing a melanoma (I think I just found one on me), watched by hundreds of thousands of people, and the doc has nearly 100k subscribers. In the comments, anonymous doctors ' ' are claiming what a hack job the guy's doing on his patient, worst they've ever seen etc.. How the heck is one to cut through the bulls**t doctors these days with all this cover up.
https://nydoctorprofile.com/dispatch

This lack of transparency bothers me. It's appears to me this Dr. Rodriguez shouldn't be performing jaw surgeries based on how horrific this job was. Yet from the outside it's hard to tell how talented doctors are; especially if you're in a situation where you can't travel and just have local doctors to choose from.

That's why I posted my story here. My surgeon refused to see me when I asked why I still have severe lip incompetence and was trying to figure out if a solo SG could salvage the situation. Surgeons could get away with simply discarding patients with poor outcomes before the days of the internet and probably many haven't adjusted this attitude to modern times.

Bobbit

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 09:07:39 PM »

Plasko,  That is a rather grossly mis-stated characterization.

To the extent that the craniofacial surgeon has limited orthognathic training - - then finding some one of them WHO DOES HAVE FORMAL ORTHOGNATHIC surgery training is the answer.

There are a few of them that are trained in A) Plastic surgery;   B) Craniofacial Surgery;  and C) Orthognathic surgery.

Some did that by starting by going to dental school then did an MD degree and then plastic and craniofacial surgery.
Others did that by MD + Plastic + craniofacial and then did the orthognathic.

They end up in the same place - -  being able to do essentially all of the relevant  head and neck bone and soft tissue surgeries in the inventory of those procedures.

Because they are trained to do all of that -  -   the patient does not end up in a position where the surgeon with whom they are consulting is tempted to tell the patient that the patient "... does not really need" some procedure that that surgeon is not qualified to do.

Austinou88

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »
Wow, that's very sad.
Can't believe some doctors are even allowed to perform these surgeries.

Fowler

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 04:49:58 AM »
Bloody hell. I've been told I need a prosthetic tmj fitted. Not sure I'm 100% comfortable to tell the truth, seems to be a fair few horror stories out there.