Author Topic: Genioplasty Lower Lip Retrusion  (Read 2670 times)

miwe13

Genioplasty Lower Lip Retrusion
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:31:41 PM »
I am starting the process of talking to PS and OMFS and I wanted to know what questions I should ask about their technique that might point to the issue of lower lip retrusion or turned inwards. I have seen this in a couple of before after pics. Does it have to do with the size of the advancement or the direction horizontal/vertical? Most surgeon in the beginning will say its the result of swelling but these before afters well after all the swelling should have subsided: https://imgur.com/a/W9o2x

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Genioplasty Lower Lip Retrusion
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 10:38:21 PM »
Holy s**t look at the f**king fake doll's hair on the first guy. Avoid hair transplants at all costs.

miwe13

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 11:56:25 PM »
Holy s**t look at the f**king fake doll's hair on the first guy. Avoid hair transplants at all costs.

Ehhh...this is what happens when people think hair transplants are so simple anyone can do it. The experts who do nothing but this produce amazing results though.

needadvancement

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:06:51 AM »
i THINK this becomes more apparent when there is vertical movement done on the chin. I base this on all the before and after results I've seen on all kinds of SG's. I don't know the exact science behind this, only the experienced surgeons who know what they're doing know. I will say that it's usually one of those negatives that you're gonna get despite the positives.

Although some people have a lower lip that hangs too low naturally for their liking, then it can actually be ideal. I was one of those, so I was pleasantly surprised when I had a slight 'lower lip lift'.

I'd also like to add that I have seen people say that SG's have actually caused the reverse for them(lower lip somehow having less support afterwards). So again, this seems like a very complicated unpredictable issue.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »
I am starting the process of talking to PS and OMFS and I wanted to know what questions I should ask about their technique that might point to the issue of lower lip retrusion or turned inwards. I have seen this in a couple of before after pics. Does it have to do with the size of the advancement or the direction horizontal/vertical? Most surgeon in the beginning will say its the result of swelling but these before afters well after all the swelling should have subsided: https://imgur.com/a/W9o2x

Not really clear on your question as to 'what questions' you should ask as far as their techniques. You should limit your questions to what ever level of understanding you already have. Like you would already need to be conversant/knowledgeable in the variety of techniques used to grill a doctor about fine point technicalities about how their technique relates to lip retrusion. If that's not the case, the pre-requisite of someone telling you which questions to ask regarding their technique would be that first the person would need to enlighten you on techniques used.

Have you considered just asking them the SIMPLE question you seek to know which is:
'Will my lips roll backwards after this procedure?'
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

miwe13

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »
Not really clear on your question as to 'what questions' you should ask as far as their techniques. You should limit your questions to what ever level of understanding you already have. Like you would already need to be conversant/knowledgeable in the variety of techniques used to grill a doctor about fine point technicalities about how their technique relates to lip retrusion. If that's not the case, the pre-requisite of someone telling you which questions to ask regarding their technique would be that first the person would need to enlighten you on techniques used.

Have you considered just asking them the SIMPLE question you seek to know which is:
'Will my lips roll backwards after this procedure?'

Of course all questions will start simple and then follow up if they indulge or clarification is needed. I can balance engaging in conversation while collecting the pertinent information and most importantly building rapport with the guy. In anycase they might be willing to engage since I am a veterinarian so they won't exactly be talking a foreign language. Other questions I was going to ask were along the lines what do you do to minimize nerve damage, degloving the mentalis and reattachment and maybe the most frequent complications in their personal experience. I am obv no expert in this technique and haven't read in depth but I have read some basic papers...don't worry I won't bring up papers in the conversation  :)

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 01:11:45 PM »
guys this whole lip retrusion thing isn't a huge issue. the main thing is having the bite in the correct position. that what can influence lip show more than anything. and you can ask for a v-y plasty on the upper lip. Dr. Sinn did mine and certainly helped. My asshole orthodontist did extractions that f**ked up my lip. Genioplasty has like no effect on lower lip show.

Freeways

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 03:40:01 PM »

Although some people have a lower lip that hangs too low naturally for their liking, then it can actually be ideal. I was one of those, so I was pleasantly surprised when I had a slight 'lower lip lift'.

Me too. Many people with weak chins tend to have bulging/prominent lower lips, so I think it's a good thing that genioplasties reduce the prominence of the lower lip. It might be an unfortunate consequence for people with naturally very thin lips, though.

miwe13

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 06:16:19 PM »
Me too. Many people with weak chins tend to have bulging/prominent lower lips, so I think it's a good thing that genioplasties reduce the prominence of the lower lip. It might be an unfortunate consequence for people with naturally very thin lips, though.

I agree. I see this all the time and it only looks bad when a younger guy/women of any age have natually thin lips and genio reduces it further. I would actually benefit from a slight reduction in lower lip. But I just want to know how much because reduce the lip too much people will notice something is different well before they would notice your handsome new chin. lol! Big changes in lips can have a dramatic change on the facial identity.

ditterbo

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 06:20:17 PM »
idk I've never seen it as an improvement for (specifically white men) to have their lower lip shrink any amount. I see it as a negative.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
Anyone understand why genioplasty reduces the lower lip?
Millimeters are miles on the face.

miwe13

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 08:23:40 PM »
Anyone understand why genioplasty reduces the lower lip?

My best guess is that the two pieces of the soft tissue/skin that make up the mentolabial angle are stretched out making the angle flatter when the bone is advanced. The top part of the angle gets pushed back towards the mouth taking the lower lip with it. I just want some predictability about how much this happens. The only extreme cases I have read where the whole lower lip rolls in and f**ks up the smile are on realself but almost all of them were like 1-2 weeks post op so probably had a lot more to do with swelling. But there are some legit nightmare scenarios too though:

https://www.realself.com/question/los-angeles-ca-developed-scar-tissue-chin-lip-after-genioplasty#

https://www.realself.com/question/deltona-fl-unnecessary-sliding-genioplasty-bottom-lip-functioning-before-month#

https://www.realself.com/question/montreal-qc-sliding-genioplasty-reversed-through-submental-exterior-incision

Or alternatively it could be the stitching of the intraoral incision makes this inevitable.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 08:37:31 PM by miwe13 »