Author Topic: feel depressed and frustrated - needing surgery to regain what i already had  (Read 2938 times)

SKV2

im not sure how many people here might be in the same boat as me or how controversial this view is (in line with orthotropic / mike mew view regarding tongue placement influencing growth of the jaws) but i feel very depressed and frustrated over this issue. looking at pics of me now vs in my youth , especially profile pics, i can see both of my jaws recess, my chin go back, and my midface become flat. its as if my entire facial structure melted and now i need extensive surgery just to regain what i already had, and suspect i should have had present day. i had a baby tooth extracted prematurely in my upper arch with no space maintainer given after, so the space closed and the canine came in fully impacted, leaving little room for my tongue, so it of course dropped down. the tooth was pulled around age 10, canine came in at like 13, now im in my early 20s and its still like this since nothing was done.

there are other issues in my life of course as well as how this impacted my life beyond just my face, but i feel theres little sense in getting into that since i dont view it as relevant to this forum . id rather stick to / focus on the face/jaws.

Nicolazzz

Hello. It's amazing how close your situation fits mine. My insecurity about my looks started a few years ago, when I saw pictures of myself from the profile view especially. I was only a little self-conscious at the start, but with time it took over my life. I also found Mike Mew and was certain that my mouth breathing had caused this problem. I was really down for a long time and I thought that the only way that I could live my life was if I got a double jaw surgery to pull them forward. At first it was for cosmetic reasons only, but I've noticed the problem that comes with the little space I have in my mouth. My tounge is constantly to far back in my mouth when I bite my teeth together, and I've noticed that my breathing though my nose improves a lot when I stick my tounge out a little further.
Anyways, I got an appointment at a jaw surgery clinic a while ago, and as I expected they didn't think that the problem was big enough to go further with. Instead they offered me a genioplasty to bring my chin forward, but I'm a little skeptical with that, as it won't improve the physical problems I have. I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now trying to find the right solution for me. the thing is that in my country I can get the genioplasty for free, but I'm not sure if that is what I want.
I'm 18 years old, and I can relate with the frustrations this can cause as I have went through 2 years of depression and anxiety because of this. I know you said that you would rather stick to the face and jaws, but I would like to say what helped me mentally, as it might also help you in someway.

The thing I would recommend you to try, and what helped me a lot, is to find yourself and understand the reason why we people always strive after perfection. We live in a superficial world and we have been brainwashed to think that we have to be perfect to be happy. A constant strive after perfection isn't the key though, and It will never make you happy. The thing you have to do is to find your inner self, the one that lies beyond your physical body and learn about the ignorance of everyday people.
It took me a long time trying to find peace, to find myself and to stop caring what people thought about me. I'm still in the process of learning, but things that helped me in the process, was to research the spiritual side of life, to meditate and eat healthy. This helped me getting the feeling of real happiness that I hadn't felt for a really long time back. Furthermore, a stronger form of confidence that I never had before.
An attractive face can certaintly help in this society, but It will never define who you are as a person. Never think that you're the person that people make you out to be, don't live in the box that society has put you in. The moment you rest within yourself, is the moment that people will see you for the person that you really are. A good quote for me is: Don't think less about yourself, think about yourself less.
Too some extent I'm actually happy that I have this problem, because it led me to a higher understanding of myself, that I maybe wouldn't have gotten If i was born with amazing genes.
I hope this helps a little bit, at least until you find out what your gonna do with you problem.   ;)

SKV2

hey, thanks for ur kind words.

i went to a consult and was recommended double jaw , advancement of both with ccw rotation. in terms of movement amount i only recall maxillary advancement of 8.1 mm. also a genioplasty, septoplasty, and ha paste to my cheeks. then there is the issue of my palatal width, i apparently need over 10 mm of added space, so would require sarpe.

ive never really been a spiritual person, and while i know the world is superficial and perhaps we can argue about the philosophical stance of all this, i really just wish i had my old face back and looked like me again, and i feel a bit bitter that i will be going through all of this just to return to what i already was in the past naturally.

ive already decided to go with the double jaw and further surgery after that, but i was just expressing my frustration with what happened to me regarding the extracted tooth and the change in my face and profile. =/

ps , you mention genes which makes me feel as though u dont quite understand my problem. im generally pretty content with my genes and in my view used to be good looking, and it seems others thought so as well since i did well socially and members of the opposite sex liked me, but now all that is gone. I simply wish i was left alone and not mutilated by my dentist , and the frustration stems from that as well as having to get many invasive surgeries with the predicted end result being no better than what i already naturally looked like.