Author Topic: Chin shield osteotomy  (Read 2811 times)

beyondconfusedtbh

Chin shield osteotomy
« on: September 14, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »
How is this procedure carried out? I know its seen as superior to a traditional genioplasty since the mentolabial fold doesn't get exaggerated as much but how? The paper Triaca published is hard to get a hold of lol.

Also to anyone who's had this procedure, are you happy with the results?

jawline

Re: Chin shield osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 07:29:02 AM »
This image in the following link seems to show it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/87321088@N07/26981424275/

This is what they've written:

"Shield Genioplasty, could be an excellent option of treatment when we need to preserve mento-labial fold depth in chin advancements".

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:25:05 AM »
Thanks

Freeways

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
I've had it twice and I'm happy with the result. The mentolabial fold looks very natural, I'd say the result is similar to a BSSO result in profile view. My lower lip has much better support and isn't bulging anymore, which is a nice side effect.

Lazlo

• Private
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »
I've had it twice and I'm happy with the result. The mentolabial fold looks very natural, I'd say the result is similar to a BSSO result in profile view. My lower lip has much better support and isn't bulging anymore, which is a nice side effect.

Interesting. Who was your doctor? Is this the same as a chinwing? Do you have any change in sensation?

schrodinger

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 07:14:28 PM »
Seeing his history Doctor Zarrinbal seems to be his surgeon. Must have done a good job then. Does Zarrinbal do revisions too of chin wings? I am thinking about revision.

Freeways

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 03:33:17 AM »
Interesting. Who was your doctor? Is this the same as a chinwing? Do you have any change in sensation?

It’s not a chin wing, chin shield is a genioplasty which also modifies the mentolabial fold.

No change in lip sensation. Chin sensation is reduced, but I’m only three weeks post-op and it doesn’t really matter anyway.

Seeing his history Doctor Zarrinbal seems to be his surgeon. Must have done a good job then. Does Zarrinbal do revisions too of chin wings? I am thinking about revision.

Seeing as some people had more than one chin wing with Dr Z, I’d assume he can do revisions.

beyondconfusedtbh

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 01:47:49 PM »
Hey Freeways, you said you had the procedure done twice. Why's that? How much advancement is possible with just one?

Freeways

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 04:48:28 AM »
Hey Freeways, you said you had the procedure done twice. Why's that? How much advancement is possible with just one?

The first surgery brought my chin from weak to normal, but I wanted a stronger, more protruding chin.

How much advancement is possible? It should be the same as a normal genioplasty. IIRC more than 7-8 mm is usually not recommended.

JourneyToSerenity

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 05:32:34 AM »
Interesting. I've never heard of this procedure before, is this method preferable to a sliding genio, in order to fix a deep mentolabial fold and an externally rotated lower lip[droopy lower lip]?