Author Topic: Single jar surgery instead of double for underbite....many regrets  (Read 3449 times)

Greek21

The story goes as follow.... I'm currently 24 and had lower jaw surgery a month ago. Fundamentally the left side had overgrown and had elongated my mandible in particular the right side and and the overgrowth had caused a shift in the position of my top jaw that the midline has shifted to the left side  and have a cant with the downward slide to the right.  My upper jaw is also backwards (maxillary hypoplasia) .

After seeing 3 surgeons i decided to go with the most convenient one (closer to my parents house) in the netherlands. He is a renowned  proffesor in a good university with many publications on researching. When i met him i literally saw him for 5 minutes he hardly went through the procedure with me and mentioned that only lower jaw surgery is needed and necessary. From my understanding he was more concerned about functions than aesthetics... but like an idiot i trusted him because of his reputation...

Surgery went very well no nerve damage hardly any pain (bsso to take the mandible back) and could eat soft foods in less than 10 days..

Aesthetics on the other hand are getting worse as times goes by. Both jaws are back and due to having a maxillary hypoplasia i look much worse than i used too.... unfortunately the problem was hardly fixed as he did 50% of the job.

I'm just incredibly angry that after 4 years overall with braces that my problem was half fixed.... i don't know what to do....

My breathing has become difficult and I'm  very much out of breath sometimes

Is a second surgery an option after a year in order to take both jaws forward? Is it possible after the mandible was set back to take it forward again? Will i require orthodontics?

If i was to go do a second surgery it would either be at instituo maxillofacial in barcelona or shaping faces with dr heliotis in London

PloskoPlus

Re: Single jar surgery instead of double for underbite....many regrets
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 01:32:39 PM »
There was a guy here with a very poor outcome from Heliotis.

Greek21

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »
He didnt like the results?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 05:23:04 PM »
He didnt like the results?
Very bad function.