Author Topic: Weak profile (with ceph)  (Read 4372 times)

dantheman

• Private
Weak profile (with ceph)
« on: June 15, 2013, 01:13:07 PM »
I'm deciding whether a sliding genioplasty is the best option for my case. The orthodontist I visited seemed to think so. My biggest concern is my lower jaw, which is weak and pushed back. While I wonder if mouth-breathing was a factor in all of this, the ortho said he was surprised at the good development of the ramus and the overall bite, which is usually also affected by mouth-breathing. I don't have a gummy smile, but I still wonder if a double jaw advancement could be considered. I have a consultation with a surgeon months away for my wisdom teeth and will ask about all this then.

What do you guys think? Anything else that stands out as abnormal? Thanks for the input

« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:35:06 PM by dantheman »

dantheman

• Private
Re: Weak profile (with ceph)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I feel that its a mandibular length issue as well. I think the apparent degree of retrusion is worsened by the excessive subnasal soft-tissue projection and by the furled lower lip due to proclined mandibular incisors. My parents don't have these features, though I do recall longstanding issues with nasal congestion (at night). Not sure if this is related. Siblings seem to have similar features as well.

CK

• Private
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:54:07 PM »
aesthetically-speaking, without seeing your soft tissue no on can honestly say whether you'd objectively benefit from a genioplasty over jaw surgery.

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:01 AM »
dante...you do not look recessed AT ALL to me.

At all.

dantheman

• Private
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 05:22:40 AM »
Not recessed?? I'm confused. I'll post some pics on the private forum soon. Easily 1cm retruded

stupidjaws

• CFO
  • The panic the vomit the yuppies networking
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 05:49:42 AM »
yeah, the soft tissue will help. post the profile shot in the private forum