Author Topic: Unhappy with sliding genioplasty, looking for Bay Area surgeon  (Read 7298 times)

some1afterall

Unhappy with sliding genioplasty, looking for Bay Area surgeon
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
Hi there, I posted a while back about being unhappy with my sliding genioplasty, chin looks too strong, esp from the frontal view.

I had BSSO and Le Fort 1.5 years ago and separate sliding genioplasty 1 year ago, both with Kaiser. I am no longer a Kaiser patient, so can't ask the original surgeon to reverse the genioplasty. I've reached out to several well known maxillofacial surgeons and it seems like nobody is willing to take on JUST a sliding genioplasty revision/reversal. They will only accept me for consult if I'm willing to consider revising the ENTIRE surgery. I believe my BSSO/Le Fort are stable. There's been a very slight movement horizontally with settling, but my bite is closed and I have no real pain or issues with function.

Any ideas??? I'm in the California SF Bay Area.

The other thing I've considered is paying out of pocket with individual Kaiser secondary insurance and seeing if I'd be able to get the genio reversed with the original surgeon. I'm unsure if I could pull that off though...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

tim06

• Private
Re: Unhappy with sliding genioplasty, looking for Bay Area surgeon
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 04:18:30 AM »
Hi there, I posted a while back about being unhappy with my sliding genioplasty, chin looks too strong, esp from the frontal view.

I had BSSO and Le Fort 1.5 years ago and separate sliding genioplasty 1 year ago, both with Kaiser. I am no longer a Kaiser patient, so can't ask the original surgeon to reverse the genioplasty. I've reached out to several well known maxillofacial surgeons and it seems like nobody is willing to take on JUST a sliding genioplasty revision/reversal. They will only accept me for consult if I'm willing to consider revising the ENTIRE surgery. I believe my BSSO/Le Fort are stable. There's been a very slight movement horizontally with settling, but my bite is closed and I have no real pain or issues with function.

Any ideas??? I'm in the California SF Bay Area.

The other thing I've considered is paying out of pocket with individual Kaiser secondary insurance and seeing if I'd be able to get the genio reversed with the original surgeon. I'm unsure if I could pull that off though...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Post pics please

haven

• Private
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:24:57 AM »
I've spoken to four Bay Area surgeons regarding a genioplasty but I'm looking to speak to a few more before I make my decision. You mind sharing yours and I'll give you mine? None of mine are from Kaiser.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 01:17:30 PM »
Who have you consulted with?
Avoid Schendel.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

haven

• Private
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 01:46:49 PM »
Who have you consulted with?
Avoid Schendel.

Is he bad or something? I thought about getting a consultation with him, but opted instead of going to ones referred to by some orthodontists I visited and those I found myself.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 09:03:16 PM »
Is he bad or something? I thought about getting a consultation with him, but opted instead of going to ones referred to by some orthodontists I visited and those I found myself.

Yeah he's unethical.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

some1afterall

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 09:56:57 PM »
hi haven, I've talked to Deschamps-Braly. Gunson will book a consult for a full revision. I left a message with Dr Karas, but he never called me back.

Who have you spoken with?

PloskoPlus

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 12:19:53 AM »
IMO, you look quite good as you are.  A revision may be an improvement, but one that only you will notice.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 06:51:41 AM »
someone,
I must have already said this on one of your other threads but I would NOT go for a full revision. Just find someone who can revise the CHIN. There is justification for just revising the chin because you got that done AFTER the bi max in a separate surgery. So, it's not even as if it was planned in to the 'whole' of the bi-max surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

haven

• Private
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 07:18:14 AM »
Yeah he's unethical.

Maybe there's a reason he's in Palo Alto 😅

haven

• Private
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 07:34:48 AM »
hi haven, I've talked to Deschamps-Braly. Gunson will book a consult for a full revision. I left a message with Dr Karas, but he never called me back.

Who have you spoken with?

I'm over in the Tri Valley, but spoke with Dr Luque in SF, Dr Khalil (Berkeley), Dr Beckley (Livermore) & Dr Vareenki (Tracy). I never had surgery. Just braces for a little over a year. I also spoke to two orthodontists and my original one as well.

They all seem to agree that getting any sort of jaw surgery is overkill in my case. Some said I could look into a genioplasty if I really wanted to, but to not go too overboard with the procedure.

I'm still undecided really. Im thinking I might try to see Gunson. If he turns me down I'm over it. I understand my "flaw", but i think I have BDD because the surgeons say there's wrong with how i currently look.

Did you need a referral to see gunson? His website has a cosmetic section with genioplasty mentioned. Braly good? He came up in my searches but I never called his office.

some1afterall

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 07:30:37 PM »
See my posting in surgeon leads for Deschamps-Braly for more on this topic...

some1afterall

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 03:53:01 PM »
Hey y'all,

Checking in. I had a consult with one Bay Area surgeon who says reduction genioplasty - 10mm vertical height, + jaw tapering + another 2mm forward & some smoothing of bone spurs from my BSSO. I am encouraged by the treatment plan that only requires 2 weeks of downtime and is financially in my ball park, but don't want to cut corners, as I feel like I did with my original orthognathic surgery @ Kaiser Oakland.

I have a skype consult with Dr Jamali from NY this month. I am also scheduling an in-person consult with Dr Gunson in Santa Barbara, but he's super booked out... like until November.

Since I'm going down this road do any of you have ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR REVISION SURGEONS? I want THE BEST in their field.

I have to say I'm a little freaked out about aging effects of reduction surgery, as I already feel like jaw surgery gave me nasolabial grooves and lengthened my upper lip. If the doctor is removing 10mm of bone, does the skin adjust or will it just sag due to lack of bony structure? I've read about people my age having face lifts after jaw surgery. That sounds terrible!

Any thoughts?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2018, 04:37:01 PM »
Adjustment to bone loss would depend on the elasticity of the skin to re model around it. Elasticity is usually a function of age or you could say 'time on earth' where how much time was spent doing stuff that decreases elasticity, sun exposure, weight fluctuations, pollutants etc.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.