Author Topic: Will sliding genio help my submental area?  (Read 3297 times)

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Will sliding genio help my submental area?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 01:01:41 PM »
There is no definitive way to tell from the OTHER person's photos (on RS) that the slack under chin is fat, in particular whether or not it's  fat in a superficial plane that can be lipo-sucked. Some Plastic surgeons on RealSelf 'answer' questions with the primary motivation to get their names out. Personally, I would not ask a question there--but that's just me--unless I already knew the answer and was wanting to see which doctor(s) got it right. Not all under chin slack can be attributed to superficial fat removable by lipo. Although a DEFAULT approach of chin implant with lipo might work for some people who DO have superficial fat and recessive chins, PSs on RS who definitively state; 'lipo is the answer' as to imply it is so for all or for YOU to deem it personal advice to you, should be disregarded if they are adding to your confusion.

Although I won't be solving your problem for you, I will tell you the genio surgeon gave you valid info. Genio CAN have a tightening effect on under chin slack and have a favorable indirect effect to making less the appearance of jowls and lower cheek slack.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 06:32:55 PM »
This dude on realself has a similar issue in profile

https://www.realself.com/question/jaw-surgery-lipo-pictures

As you can see, it's confusing, because each Dr. gives a different answer lol
Some say 'lipo is the answer' - Some say 'chin implant will fix it!''. Some say ''there's a lack of support - you need jaw surgery. Lipo would only work if it was just fat''. Others say genioplasty.

Perhaps showing one of the truly ugly/#instant UNTAG on facebook!! pics can help highlight the issue
https://imgur.com/a/ZMmmx
I can tell you from first hand experience that the skin will tighten from a genioplasty bc the soft tissue is moving. This doesn't really happen from the aspect of a chin implant. However, although this is true, each persons case is going to be different, obviously with respect to what's being done with the chin. (How much movement and which direction). My chin was moved 10 mm forward and 6 lengthened. So, I saw some benefit in regards to the double chin issues..etc.
With that being said. Kavan is right with regards to other people's photos. Anatomy is always going to be different, as well as other aspects related.
Question. Let's say you're lying in bed reading a book and your chin is as close to your chest as it's gonna be. When you point a mirror, or take a selfie...what's the result? What's that look like? Looking at your chin from the different views provided, I feel I had a much worse double chin issues than you, but then again, situation much different. If they did the genioplasty, you might not need lipo, but...then again.....haha...I don't know very much about lipo cause I never asked or went down that road. They can do some pretty neat stuff with the chin, especially if the surgeon does a lot of them and is highly skilled; ie: he's manipulated a lot of chins and is good at doing it. You could always go back and do lipo later if you're not happy with the results from genio alone. Forgive me if I retouched on anything, I didn't read entire thread.

ditterbo

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 07:11:26 PM »
Actually my chin implants (7mm turned to 12mm) both tightened up some of the slack. YMMV I guess

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2018, 09:28:32 AM »
Actually my chin implants (7mm turned to 12mm) both tightened up some of the slack. YMMV I guess
True. I probably spoke out of my arse on that one. I'm sure almost all changes to chin impact the skin/tissue in some way. The implant i had was fairly small, so in the difference I noticed via having both implant/genio. seems super vast. When they place the implant though, it's just going right over the bone, whereas-obviously with the genio the bone is headed that way too...so you get more ratio movement. I think that sounds "not stupid".  :-X

jesterofmalice

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »
Hopefully i'd still get the submental and lower cheek improvements even though i'm looking more for vertical length movement as opposed to forward movement

Only issue at the moment is price.

Surgeon i've been speaking too has further increased his prices for augmentation genioplasty. And I think I still want rhino too, so need to shop around a bit and read reviews!
Emailed a Turkish surgeon earlier and am waiting for his thoughts, but his prices are much more reasonable than the Spanish surgeon.

Maybe a discount on a chin/nose combo too. Would be welcome

I have the money, but it would COMPLETELY wipe me out, so need to find the best prices without compromising too much on standard of work!