Author Topic: My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...  (Read 5926 times)

Nicolazzz

My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...
« on: February 07, 2018, 10:10:38 AM »
Hello. :) I will try to make this as short as possible. Some years ago I got self aware about my looks. I didn't like my chin very much. I found that mouth breathing could cause your jaw not to grow the right way, so I was sure that, that was the reason, because I've mouth breath for a very long time of my life because of allergies. As you can see on the picture my midface is flat and my chin i retruded. I have a deep bite so that doesn't help the problem. I really don't like the right side of my face (left picture), I think my left (right picture) is closer to natural. The thing is that the aestethic part of the problem made me ignore all of the physical problems that I think I have because of it. I was really down for a long time, but I've been better these last couple of weeks. I've found out that looks doesn't mean everything, but the hard part for me, and everyone else that has the same problem, is that I don't think my looks represents my personality.
I've talked to a jaw surgeon about my problem, and also told him the physical parts. (The physical parts are: no room for tounge, bad breathing through nose, bad posture, maybe sleep apnea, only decent bite. All of these I'm very certain would be cured by a jaw surgery.) Because I told him that it was the aestethic parts that annoyed me the most at the time for me, he said he all he could offer me was a genioplaty. I've been to consulation and the whole process has been going for a while. I'm very split, because the physical parts are starting to fill just as much as the way I look, so I'm highly contemplating saying no to the offer and push for a jaw surgery. 

What are you guys thoughts? 

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Freeways

Re: My doctor said genioplasty, but I'm not so sure...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:50:56 AM »
I disagree with your surgeon, I don't think you're a good candidate for a genioplasty. Ideally, you should get double jaw surgery with ccw. You should probably extract teeth to allow for a large mandibular advancement. Obviously you need to consider the risks, but I'd say you're more of a jaw surgery case than a genioplasty case.

Nicolazzz

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:19:11 AM »
Thank you so much for the reply!
What do you mean exactly when you say ccw and that my teeth should be “extracted”?

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:55:29 AM »
Tell the doctor who offered you ONLY chin surgery to take a hike.  You would need the full jaw surgery.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
Out of interest can you guys explain what it is that signifies that OP needs jaw surgery and not just chin surgery. I can see that his chin is recessed and agree that a SG wouldn’t solve all the issues but I can’t articulate what else could change. Just curious for my own case.

Good luck OP!

tim06

• Private
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 03:15:14 PM »
Out of interest can you guys explain what it is that signifies that OP needs jaw surgery and not just chin surgery. I can see that his chin is recessed and agree that a SG wouldn’t solve all the issues but I can’t articulate what else could change. Just curious for my own case.

Good luck OP!

They reply that to everyone without applying any thought about costs or risks. The next one will recommend him a modified lefort 2.

A sliding genioplasty will be fine if your bite is correct.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 03:24:59 PM »

Good luck OP!

His jaw is RETRUSIVE.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 03:32:38 PM »
They reply that to everyone without applying any thought about costs or risks. The next one will recommend him a modified lefort 2.

A sliding genioplasty will be fine if your bite is correct.

Not 'everyone' is told this. Just people with clearly RETRUSIVE jaws. As to costs and risks, that is between the patient and the DOCTOR he/she consults with. Not every member here who has an EYE for imbalance can be expected to know the costs of the surgery (which will differ from place to place) nor the applicable risks for the person which will also differ from doctor to doctor. 

ditterbo

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 03:41:10 PM »
I'm not sure bimax will make room for your tongue.. orthodontists may push the teeth outwards perhaps to make more room, but not sure.  Lower jaw has less options than upper for that issue. Extractions will make the arch even smaller though, as GJ just recently reaffirmed. Probably can be avoided, especially if you're willing to trade whatever your inner mouth gum show looks like upon smiling, in exchange for preserving the teeth and arch.

I agree the risks and costs to bimax are not worth it for most people, but that's a personal decision no one can make for you. Bimax has an aesthetic element that tends to look much more natural than any plastic surgery alternatives, for people where it's aesthetically indicated (like this bloke).

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 03:52:02 PM »
I'm not sure bimax will make room for your tongue.. orthodontists may push the teeth outwards perhaps to make more room, but not sure.  Lower jaw has less options than upper for that issue. Extractions will make the arch even smaller though, as GJ just recently reaffirmed. Probably can be avoided, especially if you're willing to trade whatever your inner mouth gum show looks like upon smiling, in exchange for preserving the teeth and arch.

I agree the risks and costs to bimax are not worth it for most people, but that's a personal decision no one can make for you. Bimax has an aesthetic element that tends to look much more natural than any plastic surgery alternatives, for people where it's aesthetically indicated (like this bloke).

Can't be said exactly what specific displacements he would need and ortho pre-work. But generally speaking having maxfax to bring forward the lower jaw would help with sleep apnea and his retrusive lower jaw. What can be said though is that it would be in his best interest to seek out a max fax who does the double jaw surgery and disban with this other doc who is only offering him a genio. Keep in mind that 'bi-max' surgery does not preclude the upper jaw from being expanded somewhat (multi-segment lefort) if there is an indication for that.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
They reply that to everyone

That's not true at all.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »
His jaw is RETRUSIVE.

I am not saying it isn’t I am asking what shows you that it is.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 02:11:40 PM »
I am not saying it isn’t I am asking what shows you that it is.

For me to transfer my knowledge to you would require me to draft up a tutorial via the guy's photos and also landmark lines on them as to how make the evaluation as to difference between retrusive chin and retrusive jaw as to show both. I'm not putting in the time for that.

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 01:27:41 AM »
Hello. :) I will try to make this as short as possible. Some years ago I got self aware about my looks. I didn't like my chin very much. I found that mouth breathing could cause your jaw not to grow the right way, so I was sure that, that was the reason, because I've mouth breath for a very long time of my life because of allergies. As you can see on the picture my midface is flat and my chin i retruded. I have a deep bite so that doesn't help the problem. I really don't like the right side of my face (left picture), I think my left (right picture) is closer to natural. The thing is that the aestethic part of the problem made me ignore all of the physical problems that I think I have because of it. I was really down for a long time, but I've been better these last couple of weeks. I've found out that looks doesn't mean everything, but the hard part for me, and everyone else that has the same problem, is that I don't think my looks represents my personality.
I've talked to a jaw surgeon about my problem, and also told him the physical parts. (The physical parts are: no room for tounge, bad breathing through nose, bad posture, maybe sleep apnea, only decent bite. All of these I'm very certain would be cured by a jaw surgery.) Because I told him that it was the aestethic parts that annoyed me the most at the time for me, he said he all he could offer me was a genioplaty. I've been to consulation and the whole process has been going for a while. I'm very split, because the physical parts are starting to fill just as much as the way I look, so I'm highly contemplating saying no to the offer and push for a jaw surgery. 

What are you guys thoughts?

I agree with the already stated. Bro, it's like this. (At lest my experience). The first teaching hospital I went to, a very experienced doctor told me that I needed bimax, but he wouldn't touch me bc of muscle post op issues and relapse. Then the more conservative 2nd surgeon I saw, pulled 4 teeth out of my head, slapped me in braces was going to do bimax ...but I ended up chosing not to go through with it two years later. Now that I finallly have the balls to pull the trigger. I went back to the original surgeon who took my teeth out and put me in braces, now he won't touch me. Point is, you're going to find surgeons who are skilled...then not so much, and some with restraints. Your jaws resemble mine a bit, at least your lower. Keep doing your homework. Find yourself a skilled doctor, a straight shooter...bc a lot of times doctors will tell you WHATS BEST FOR THEM..Do you have speech issues? Bite your tongue often when chewing?

Nicolazzz

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
I agree with the already stated. Bro, it's like this. (At lest my experience). The first teaching hospital I went to, a very experienced doctor told me that I needed bimax, but he wouldn't touch me bc of muscle post op issues and relapse. Then the more conservative 2nd surgeon I saw, pulled 4 teeth out of my head, slapped me in braces was going to do bimax ...but I ended up chosing not to go through with it two years later. Now that I finallly have the balls to pull the trigger. I went back to the original surgeon who took my teeth out and put me in braces, now he won't touch me. Point is, you're going to find surgeons who are skilled...then not so much, and some with restraints. Your jaws resemble mine a bit, at least your lower. Keep doing your homework. Find yourself a skilled doctor, a straight shooter...bc a lot of times doctors will tell you WHATS BEST FOR THEM..Do you have speech issues? Bite your tongue often when chewing?

I have very suttle speech issues not anything doctors would take very seriously. I don't bite my tongue when I'm eating that often, but I think that is because my tongue naturally is further back than normal. When I try to force a normal tongue position my airway gets much better through my nose, and I just feel much better overall. But after doing this for a while, my tongue starts to hurt and my teeth shape is indented in the sides of the tongue.
It's cool to talk with someone with the same problem, because there is not a lot of people who wants to listen or even try to understand this problem, not even my parents haha. I'm 100 percent sure that I'm not gonna go for the chin surgery, because I know that it's not the right choice for me. I hope that you find the right doctor for your case man, it's a long and s**tty process..