Author Topic: Full time uni whilst having double jaw surgery  (Read 1119 times)

brian626

Full time uni whilst having double jaw surgery
« on: January 22, 2018, 05:01:13 PM »
I want to maintain full time at uni since some units are only first semester which is roughly when my jaw surgery will be.
I might major in math and do 3 units instead of 4. I know I probably won't be going anywhere for 4 weeks but if I can start studying before then, I'm hoping I can pull it off. Has anyone had jaw surgery whilst at uni? What's the experience been?
Also I do care about my grades, I don't mind my GPA dropping slightly but I'm not looking for just a pass either.

fulcanelli

• Private
Re: Full time uni whilst having double jaw surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:31:23 PM »
I had a SG while working and can say I wasn’t ready for the pain and energy sap. Every one is different of course and 4 weeks off sounds like a good idea. Can you schedule the surgery to fit into a break?

brian626

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 01:34:57 AM »
sorry but what does SG mean?

I want the surgery ASAP, if they say I'm ready close to break then I'll wait it but if i can have it soon, I want to.
When people say 4 weeks off, do they mean 4 weeks of just relaxing? Can i start studying from home again after a week or two or the full 4 weeks?

thanks

fulcanelli

• Private
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 06:19:09 AM »
Sliding Genioplasty. My point being that the SG is probably not as invasive as what you are having but it still knocked me for 6. It’s really hard to say how your body will react. Some people get lots of pain after some are back out and about after a week.

If you have the energy I don’t see why you couldn’t study at home while you recover. If you’re in pain it might be difficult to concentrate but hopefully you won’t feel too bad. Good luck.

brian626

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 01:26:15 PM »
oh I see, yeah I'm getting genioplasty while I'm at it as well.
The problem is, if i decide to go ahead with studying, there's really no backing out :P

Thanks  ;D