Author Topic: Upper Jaw + Sliding Genioplasty?  (Read 1060 times)

lm210

Upper Jaw + Sliding Genioplasty?
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:02:06 PM »
I've had braces for 8 years which would've been 6 if it wan't for an impacted canine. I noticed a lot of asymmetries in my face/smile that indicate that my upper jaw is underdeveloped. One eye squints more than the other, one side of my smile is slimmer and raises higher than the other, my nose leans to one side, there are gaps between my top and bottom teeth when I smile. I had a slight under bite which was fixed by rubber bands but my top teeth still barley cover my bottom teeth when I smile. I can feel that one side of the roof of my mouth is noticeably bigger than the other. Does that suggest that only one side of my jaw is underdeveloped? Also, is it weird that my orthodontist hasn't suggested jaw surgery after all these years? I also want to get a genioplasty for a more prominent chin along with upper jaw surgery. By looking at the pictures, do you think a single jaw surgery would be sufficient?

Lazlo

• Private
Re: Upper Jaw + Sliding Genioplasty?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 09:17:45 PM »
your teeth look remarkably good for having had braces for so long. i'm surprised you have any gum tissue left.

probably because you started when you were very young. \

honestly, i don't see the aesthetic problems you mention. maybe a genioplasty if you need it but hell jaw surgery is a pretty serious operation and it won't fix all these minor issues you've developed ocd about.

like you've taken body, or I guess I should say facial dysmorphia to a new level.

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »
I don't see how jaw surgery will help you, but if you're hell bent on doing it and only have a small underbite, it seems moving the upper forward a hair would fix that. It might create a bad look, though. Make sure to get cephs and bring them back here so people can give their opinions.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

some1afterall

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:05:04 PM »
I think you're bite and profile look good. What's driving your urge for surgery? It's a major thing to undertake, I would tread carefully.

If it's your chin's appearance I would recommend doing something more reversible like a chin implant first. I think people underestimate the impact small changes can have on how we see ourselves.

Sometimes people have really amazing results with jaw surgery, like stunning, but sometimes results are the same or worse than you started...