Author Topic: Sliding Genioplasty considerations **PICS**  (Read 2854 times)

miwe13

Sliding Genioplasty considerations **PICS**
« on: January 19, 2018, 01:47:40 AM »
Hi guys,

First topic. Go easy if I sound like an idiot. I am considering a genioplasty and just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Here are my pics: https://imgur.com/a/5sfWz

Now I have no delusions of wanting look like a model or that it would even be possible but just to communicate the aesthetic I would like is something like this. Both these individuals have split chins like me but thats about where the similarities end: https://imgur.com/a/4xUqq

My chin is smaller than I would like it to be. It would fit my relatively wide face better than a small chin. I have been sensitive about this for a while and now feel the need to take action. I also have a split chin which only exacerbates the small chin. I am hoping to be able to lengthen it vertically and a little bit horizontally as well. However, my worry with horizontal advancement is it might make my already prominent mentolabial sulcus even deeper. I would prefer a flatter chin or at least a shallower sulcus. In anycase I was wondering how much would you reckon I would need in terms of vertical and horizontal lengthening in mm. On that note is there anyone you can recommend (could be paid) who I could consult for a morph.

My shortlist of docs to do the procedure are Dr Sinn, Posnick, Hobar and Morin. Posnick seems more academic and he would be quite expensive especially for a SG...I don't know if I need to go to a world class expert for this procedure. Hobar and Morin though trained in craniofacial surgery are not max fax. That leaves Dr Sinn who seems like a really good option. What are your opinions on him and are there any others I should consider since I am needing mostly vertical length which makes it a little more complicated than a typical SG? (Feel free to PM as well) I should also mention there is an apparently great max fax in the city I am from. Dr Wittenberg. Everytime I look him up there are great reviews but also people saying they should be extra careful because he has a bunch of on going lawsuits. Especially reading on makemeheal...all you hear are not just warnings on him but also horror stories of SG in general. Permanent numbness, ptosis and bad aesthetics. But obviously I am reading a collective of patients with negative results while those with good ones are not adequately represented. Frankly a lot of them do look like good results to me. But I am looking at mostly women's before afters but through the eyes of a man.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:19:22 AM by miwe13 »

needadvancement

Re: Sliding Genioplasty considerations **PICS**
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »
Well, your chin isn't recessed but IMO you have the right idea in mind if you're trying to look better. Vertical advancement along with a bit of horizontal would give you a nice improvement, it would bring out the squareness of your chin which is a good trait for a male. And the good thing is that since you don't need much forward advancement I don't think you need to worry about the fold deepening.

About the cleft chin, I actually had it to before my SG(4mm movement in both directions) and it has noticably decreased post-surgery, almost disappeared. Ask the surgeon about that.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »
I would hesitate using a photo of a male model to communicate an aesthetic of only one part. It's not good communication. Reason being is that PART of the model fits into his WHOLE, in particular his whole jaw line.

The BASE of your chin and it's bifurcation are good. So if advanced and also lengthened ,that should not increase the sulcus depth. The advancement would be just enough to 'kiss' a vertical dropped from the lower lip. Go too much further than that and the profile can look like 'crescent moon' deformity. The vertical would need to be calculated based on other relative measures.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

miwe13

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 07:33:36 PM »
I would hesitate using a photo of a male model to communicate an aesthetic of only one part. It's not good communication. Reason being is that PART of the model fits into his WHOLE, in particular his whole jaw line.

The BASE of your chin and it's bifurcation are good. So if advanced and also lengthened ,that should not increase the sulcus depth. The advancement would be just enough to 'kiss' a vertical dropped from the lower lip. Go too much further than that and the profile can look like 'crescent moon' deformity. The vertical would need to be calculated based on other relative measures.

Ya you are right I find it kinda embarrassing tbh. I just don't know how to show that I want mostly length and a little bit of horizontal advancement except for this example I recently found https://i.imgur.com/oykhRyD.jpg but its a bit extreme...don't get me wrong I would love that result but it did cause a significant change to his bottom lip as well. I don't want to exchange a small chin for a crooked smile or a hanging lower lip. Anyways, that is is why I requested help morphing my profile...something like Analyzemyface but not a scam.

Yes you are absolutely correct if the vertical > horizontal advancement it should flatten the sulcus or keep it the same. I didn't quite understand your second sentence of the second paragraph. I am hoping the doctors I consult with will be able to give me an idea of what mm I need and how it should fit my face. That is why I looked into PS as well as OMFS who understand aesthetics and not just functionality. Any other names I should add to my list who do particularly good genioplasty work? 

From what I have read the movement in either direction is limited by 8 mm before grafts are needed. I hope that would be enough to make a noticeable difference in the length because I am quite fearful of using allografts and still need to look into HA paste.

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
Ya you are right I find it kinda embarrassing tbh. I just don't know how to show that I want mostly length and a little bit of horizontal advancement except for this example I recently found https://i.imgur.com/oykhRyD.jpg but its a bit extreme...don't get me wrong I would love that result but it did cause a significant change to his bottom lip as well. I don't want to exchange a small chin for a crooked smile or a hanging lower lip. Anyways, that is is why I requested help morphing my profile...something like Analyzemyface but not a scam.

Yes you are absolutely correct if the vertical > horizontal advancement it should flatten the sulcus or keep it the same. I didn't quite understand your second sentence of the second paragraph. I am hoping the doctors I consult with will be able to give me an idea of what mm I need and how it should fit my face. That is why I looked into PS as well as OMFS who understand aesthetics and not just functionality. Any other names I should add to my list who do particularly good genioplasty work? 

From what I have read the movement in either direction is limited by 8 mm before grafts are needed. I hope that would be enough to make a noticeable difference in the length because I am quite fearful of using allografts and still need to look into HA paste.

The second sentence of the second paragraph, I said:

[So if advanced and also lengthened ,that should not increase the sulcus depth.]

From your response:

[Yes you are absolutely correct if the vertical > horizontal advancement it should flatten the sulcus or keep it the same.]

It appears you did understand the second sentence of the second paragraph.

If it's the 3rd sentence you did not understand, it refers to dropping a landmark line from the lower lip and getting the chin to meet it.

miwe13

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 04:37:53 PM »
The second sentence of the second paragraph, I said:

[So if advanced and also lengthened ,that should not increase the sulcus depth.]

From your response:

[Yes you are absolutely correct if the vertical > horizontal advancement it should flatten the sulcus or keep it the same.]

It appears you did understand the second sentence of the second paragraph.

If it's the 3rd sentence you did not understand, it refers to dropping a landmark line from the lower lip and getting the chin to meet it.

Yes my apologies you are correct it was the third sentence. Now I see what you mean. Ideally all I would want to add is vertical length as much as possible without using grafts because I am mostly ok with the horizontal projection I already have. You definitely want to avoid the forward projection past the lips in women but sometimes tolerated in men? Usually when a surgeon gives women that chin the complaint is always it looks too masculine. To be honest I care about making the mentolabial sulcus shallower more than horizontal projection. In anycase, are there any names you could suggest other than the ones I have already mentioned above. I have reached out to A&G and was told they don't address just aesthetic concerns. Plus, I feel Gunson has a better sense of female aesthetics as he has suggested raising the chin...the last thing I need.

Edit: Oh I forgot to add one other name that is on my list. Dr Lamperti in Seattle. I'll use one of his examples which would be more than enough of an adequate result for me: https://www.drlamperti.com/progallery/chin-augmentation-mentoplasty/mentoplasty-patient-10#grouped-gallery-anchor

kavan

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 05:09:52 PM »
Yes my apologies you are correct it was the third sentence. Now I see what you mean. Ideally all I would want to add is vertical length as much as possible without using grafts because I am mostly ok with the horizontal projection I already have. You definitely want to avoid the forward projection past the lips in women but sometimes tolerated in men? Usually when a surgeon gives women that chin the complaint is always it looks too masculine. To be honest I care about making the mentolabial sulcus shallower more than horizontal projection. In anycase, are there any names you could suggest other than the ones I have already mentioned above. I have reached out to A&G and was told they don't address just aesthetic concerns. Plus, I feel Gunson has a better sense of female aesthetics as he has suggested raising the chin...the last thing I need.

Edit: Oh I forgot to add one other name that is on my list. Dr Lamperti in Seattle. I'll use one of his examples which would be more than enough of an adequate result for me: https://www.drlamperti.com/progallery/chin-augmentation-mentoplasty/mentoplasty-patient-10#grouped-gallery-anchor

Well, for a guy, it's OK for the chin to meet a vertical drop down from the lower lip. Profile photo of the model revealed he had that. Sulcus is made somewhat less via a vertical drop. I really don't give open suggestions for doctors.

miwe13

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 09:00:44 PM »
Well, for a guy, it's OK for the chin to meet a vertical drop down from the lower lip. Profile photo of the model revealed he had that. Sulcus is made somewhat less via a vertical drop. I really don't give open suggestions for doctors.

Thanks for your response. I understand the reservation about making suggestions on doctors. If it makes a difference I wasn't asking which docs you might endorse just in general names commonly heard for SGs and then I will go research them on my own and make my own decision

ditterbo

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 09:05:57 PM »
Not sure how you found out Posnick is more expensive for SG.  I don't think so. Not that I'm endorsing him in the least.

miwe13

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 09:18:54 PM »
Not sure how you found out Posnick is more expensive for SG.  I don't think so. Not that I'm endorsing him in the least.

Oh really...ok I will clarify this just based on what I have read here and other forums. None of this knowledge is first hand. Maybe the people whose posts I have been reading are only conjecturing.

JigJaw_:/

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 02:06:24 AM »
Hi guys,

First topic. Go easy if I sound like an idiot. I am considering a genioplasty and just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. Here are my pics: https://imgur.com/a/5sfWz

Now I have no delusions of wanting look like a model or that it would even be possible but just to communicate the aesthetic I would like is something like this. Both these individuals have split chins like me but thats about where the similarities end: https://imgur.com/a/4xUqq[/url

My chin is smaller than I would like it to be. It would fit my relatively wide face better than a small chin. I have been sensitive about this for a while and now feel the need to take action. I also have a split chin which only exacerbates the small chin. I am hoping to be able to lengthen it vertically and a little bit horizontally as well. However, my worry with horizontal advancement is it might make my already prominent mentolabial sulcus even deeper. I would prefer a flatter chin or at least a shallower sulcus. In anycase I was wondering how much would you reckon I would need in terms of vertical and horizontal lengthening in mm. On that note is there anyone you can recommend (could be paid) who I could consult for a morph.

My shortlist of docs to do the procedure are Dr Sinn, Posnick, Hobar and Morin. Posnick seems more academic and he would be quite expensive especially for a SG...I don't know if I need to go to a world class expert for this procedure. Hobar and Morin though trained in craniofacial surgery are not max fax. That leaves Dr Sinn who seems like a really good option. What are your opinions on him and are there any others I should consider since I am needing mostly vertical length which makes it a little more complicated than a typical SG? (Feel free to PM as well) I should also mention there is an apparently great max fax in the city I am from. Dr Wittenberg. Everytime I look him up there are great reviews but also people saying they should be extra careful because he has a bunch of on going lawsuits. Especially reading on makemeheal...all you hear are not just warnings on him but also horror stories of SG in general. Permanent numbness, ptosis and bad aesthetics. But obviously I am reading a collective of patients with negative results while those with good ones are not adequately represented. Frankly a lot of them do look like good results to me. But I am looking at mostly women's before afters but through the eyes of a man.
Where do you live? I used Hobar, he's great.