Author Topic: Did Lower Jaw Surgery – Look Worse than Before?  (Read 2138 times)

Hope

Did Lower Jaw Surgery – Look Worse than Before?
« on: March 29, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
Hi there!

I had Lower Jaw Surgery 10 days ago, they put the lower Jaw forward.

Unfortunately I don’t look any more attractive I think.

They did: BSSO lower jaw osteotomy (they also wrote: ‘2xVac, Vicry + Monocryl, intraop iv.’)
Before Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/RIODq
After Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ZlKx3

How this came about:
- This thing was combined with my Braces for teeth.
Basically ‘Ok, Braces alone will not cut it, we need to go forward more, so we’ll do an operation in the middle’.
Therefore I went to the hospital who makes thousands of these operations per year. And let them do my braces and my operation.
- I thought of this as a health issue. And I thought ideal health = ideal attractiveness.
I thought my issue of bad looks is just the jaw is too far backward
-> just put it forward, bam bam, problem solved, more beautiful.

But of course there is a whole range of things that are ‘not ideally attractive’ i guess, that's why just putting my lower jaw forward did not change much?:
Whole Jaw ‘should’ be more rectanglish, making a good jaw line. The part of the jaw next to the ears should be probably lower. Maxilla  and zygoma should be more upwards and forwards, making the cheek bones show. (?)

I watched Mike Mew a lot, his videos seem to make soo much sense, that through mouth breathing, wrong tongue posture and soft modern food the mandible and maxilla drop down (starting as a child) and make unattractive modern faces, while all the supermodels have up and forward maxilla (cheek bones visible), hollow cheeks, rectangle forward growing Jaw so all the teeth (also wisdom teeth) have room). (i watched https://youtu.be/NvoX_wEtwDk?t=261)

Now I am wondering:
- Should I have gone to a plastic surgery doctor instead?
To make an actual plan that would be fitted to my goal of looking better.
They would have made a jaw operation that perhaps not just moves the jaw forward but also something additional?
I am not aware yet of the possibilities.
Perhaps something with my upper jaw too.

- Now I am fearing, I did it all wrong, I ‘wasted’ one surgery, meaning I did the Jaw surgery wrong, now perhaps I will need to do another jaw surgery, but this is bulls**t, you don’t just operate a jaw twice for fun. You do it once, right. Argh.

Thanks a lot for Thoughts / Input / Comments
I am a bit lost and would appreciate to hear opinions

ps
I extra-don’t like my smile now. I think I never got a good smile, but now I am just wondering: Which bones or soft tissues are ‘wrong’ and make my smile bad?
Somehow my lips become ultra-thin with smiling, this shouldn’t be. Perhaps I have smaller lips in general and bigger lips would be more attractive.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 04:33:39 PM by Hope »

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Did Lower Jaw Surgery – Look Worse than Before?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:19:44 PM »
Subsequent to the BSSO, the lips meet up with a better balance where prior the protrusive unbalanced upper lip area looked ducked out and 'goofy'. So, the face now has better balance and jaw area stronger.  So, you look like your SELF but less goofy.  There is no guarantee that max fax surgery is going to turn anyone into model material. So, if that's what you were hoping for, you had unrealistic expectations for having it.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

haven

• Private
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 05:38:45 PM »
I think the most dramatic changes occur when the person has a very noticeable disfiguration (sunken face, no lower jaw). Jaw surgery can't change your genetics. IMO you look good, bro. I can't speak much for the mewing, but if you got that from that lookism site, I'd suggest you stay away from there. I found it to be cancer. Not sure about plastic surgery, but it's your face. I'd say just be you, and work on self development now.

april

• Private
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 05:46:37 PM »
You don't look worse than before! You look far more balanced. I had a protrusive upper lip from overly proclined incisors and a deep bite. Ortho uprighted the teeth (no surgery yet), rebalancing my lips and I'm finding it very hard to adjust to the thinner top lip. Wasn't prepared or my lip to change so much with just braces. It will take some time to adjust. You could always try filler.

Jilkster

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 06:25:24 AM »
You look better. How's recovery going?

april

• Private
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 06:46:15 AM »
Also how many mm's was your advacement?

Hope

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »
Thanks!

Unfortunately i don't know how many millimetres the forward movement was. Perhaps i ask next time.

Recovery is ok..
first day i felt nothing bad, i guess lot of pain medics, next two nights were uncomfortable, walked around a bit in the night in the hospital although i got pain meds of course, few days after that i took 4 pain meds per day although you should take only 3, now from day 10 i take about 1 pain med per evening. These sponges in the mouth are most uncomfortable, but all in all it's not so uncomfortable anymore. I can also speak pretty good right from day2.
Now on about day 11 i can 'chew' minimally instead of just using the tongue as i did before.

Swelling was maximum i guess on day 3, at day 7 it looked pretty normal to me again, but there is still some left.
Doc said it takes '1 to 6 weeks for the swelling to totally subside'. (Anyone have a better number? Cause that's kind of a big timeframe :))

I guess next thing i do is
1. find some material on attractive faces and proportions
2. measure my face and my proportions
3. see about possible procedures

GJ

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 10:13:22 AM »
I don't think you look better or worse, just different.
Millimeters are miles on the face.

ditterbo

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 02:48:55 PM »
You look swollen... no surprise at 10 days post op. Your lower lip looked strangely positioned before.