Author Topic: Anyone on here do myofunctional therapy? Is it legit?  (Read 1154 times)

some1afterall

Anyone on here do myofunctional therapy? Is it legit?
« on: February 15, 2018, 08:47:10 PM »
Hi there,

I had DJS for an open bite + over bite in 2016. I still wear my retainer every night and haven't noticed much (if any) movement of my bite, but as a former tongue thruster/mouth breather, I'm worried of the threat of relapse. I have found some online myofunctional therapists that claim they can prevent relapse, change you swallowing and breathing, and even help with the musculature of your face, jaw and mouth, all with their therapy exercises.

The one I was considering charges $4000 for her myofunctional therapy package which is done all in Skype sessions online. That seems like a lot of money to me, but maybe not if it's worth it?

Has anyone done in depth myofunctional therapy? What were you outcomes? Does it make a difference?

Cheers!

Rebecca

PloskoPlus

Re: Anyone on here do myofunctional therapy? Is it legit?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 11:48:23 PM »
IMO better ways to spend that money. If your bite hasn't changed thus far, it's unlikely to relapse now.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone on here do myofunctional therapy? Is it legit?
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 06:07:47 AM »
Hi there,

I had DJS for an open bite + over bite in 2016. I still wear my retainer every night and haven't noticed much (if any) movement of my bite, but as a former tongue thruster/mouth breather, I'm worried of the threat of relapse. I have found some online myofunctional therapists that claim they can prevent relapse, change you swallowing and breathing, and even help with the musculature of your face, jaw and mouth, all with their therapy exercises.

The one I was considering charges $4000 for her myofunctional therapy package which is done all in Skype sessions online. That seems like a lot of money to me, but maybe not if it's worth it?

Has anyone done in depth myofunctional therapy? What were you outcomes? Does it make a difference?

Cheers!

Rebecca

If relapse is your main concern, have a follow up with the ortho to see if your retainer is in order even if it's just for assurance.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.