Author Topic: Diagnosis of Mandibular Hypoplasia - soliciting feedback  (Read 4948 times)

chocophage

Diagnosis of Mandibular Hypoplasia - soliciting feedback
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:35:45 AM »
Hello all and this is my first post - I'll try to keep it brief, in spite of my situation's complexity.

I am heading towards orthodontics and jaw surgery, to correct my diagnosis.  However, I'd like to get any feedback from anyone with respect to what got me to this point, from anyone who might have been in a similar situation.

I had veneers put on my 8 top and 4 lower front teeth in 2005, and according to my dentist (i.e. not the one who veneered me), following the long prep/impression/provisional appointment for veneers, my muscles basically "deprogrammed", and I could then no longer find my old bite from that day forward.  Now, I must say, that my old bite was apparantly strange to begin with - I ocluded fully on all of my teeth, however, basically, I am a "class II' who had (prior to my veneer prep appointment) been posturing and functioning anterior of a seated condylar position, into more of a class I overbite position.

Bottom line is, I have lived and put up with this post-veneer prep situation, where I no longer occlude at all, and it's driving me quite crazy.  I really thought I would either get used to it, or that it would somehow correct itself.  So going forward with orthodontics and surgery, the goal is to have me functioning in proper condylar position rather than the way I am functioning currently (in an anterior position).

I think that blaming the veneer prep appointment is too simplistic and I don't, and nor do I blame the dentist who prepped me for veneers.  It seems as if I was prone to this happening, because of my "apparantly strange" bite above.  And my jaw is definitely shorter (in the anterior-posterior) dimension, than my upper teeth.  My understanding, is that surgery will do what I am doing with my muscles, in terms of making my teeth contact better, but will also allow me to have my jaw joints in the proper position.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone out there and if so, did you also go forward with ortho and surgery, and could I ask what your results were?

Many thanks,
Chocogphage

anglii

Re: Diagnosis of Mandibular Hypoplasia - soliciting feedback
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:23:49 PM »
chocophage,

Please search for and consult with a neuromuscular dentist before going to the extreme of surgery. I had double jaw surgery 30 years ago  the results of which I hated ever since (search my posts to get a bigger picture of my situation). The only help I have found to fix the botched surgery was through neuromuscular dentistry. I am so happy with the results I only wish that I had learned about it sooner. All the problems you describe can be fixed with neuromuscular dentistry without all the side effects and risks of surgery. My neuromuscular dentist helps so many patients who have had jaw surgery and who have been left with chronic pain and disfigurement.

anglii

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 03:00:35 PM »
I just had the veneers taken off my top 2 front teeth and braces put on.  The ortho had said that veneers do not allow enough torque to be exerted on the teeth, so they had to go.  I've no idea why they were there in the first place (had them put on 20 years ago as a teenager and forgot about them).  The dentist said it was to make the teeth even.  I guess after braces I won't need them.

If you had veneers, the teeth would have been shaped in the prepping process similar to the prepping  for a crown. Part of the tooth structure is removed so it's doubtful that you would have a normal tooth without the veneers. If you didn't know you had veneers then you likely only had bonding material (white fillings) on the teeth to make them appear straight. Veneers require molds of your teeth and bite, and the veneers are made in the lab. They are expensive so you would definitely know you had veneers. I paid $2000 per veneer 6 years ago.

http://www.edmclaren.com/Pubs/PDFs/Porcelain_Veneer_Preparations.pdf

PloskoPlus

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 01:40:09 AM »
If you had veneers, the teeth would have been shaped in the prepping process similar to the prepping  for a crown. Part of the tooth structure is removed so it's doubtful that you would have a normal tooth without the veneers. If you didn't know you had veneers then you likely only had bonding material (white fillings) on the teeth to make them appear straight. Veneers require molds of your teeth and bite, and the veneers are made in the lab. They are expensive so you would definitely know you had veneers. I paid $2000 per veneer 6 years ago.

http://www.edmclaren.com/Pubs/PDFs/Porcelain_Veneer_Preparations.pdf

You are right, it was just composite.  I asked my dentist about veneers over the years and he always said "we'd have to move your lower jaw back".  Veneers are impossible with an underbite - the lower teeth would damage them.  But I never wanted to move my lower jaw back (and still don't).  Had I known about maxillary advancement, I would have considered jaw surgery years ago.

DrBirbe

• Birbe
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 06:23:06 AM »
Hi, there
It sounds to me your are describing the perfect scenario for a mandibular advancement...or bimax advancement depending on other parameters.
Shouldn?t be a big deal
Regards
Dr. Birbe
MD, DDS, PhD.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.
Diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Clinica Birbe Medical Director
www.birbe.org/en