Author Topic: How to prevent bone gaps being filled with fibrous tissue instead of bone?  (Read 1286 times)

dardok

So we are planning out my surgery and my surgeon initially proposed to use a medpor like material as a graft. I quickly stopped him there and said that is a hard no for me.

He says one of the side effects to healing is that the gap is filled with fibrous tissue rather than bone.

I want the graft to be real bone. He said that is no problem and we can use either autogenous or alloplastic bone, he even suggested cow bone.

Which would be the best material for a 5mm genioplasty?

I want the end result to be 100% my bone except for the titanium plates.

From: [Autogenous bone graft vs cow bone vs cadaver bone vs nothing?]

My surgeon mentioned all these as graft materials for my genioplasty.

He says that a graft is necessary for stability + to make sure the gap doesnt fill with fibrous scar tissue ( never even heard this mentioned anywhere online ).

I told him that I dont want the gap to be filled with my own bone when it heals, not a foreign material ( he suggested medpor ).  He told me even if they used my own hip bone that the bone in the gap would still have a different bone density than my original chin bone, which I guess is acceptable.

I want to maximize the likelihood that my own bone fills the gap created from genioplasty, is my surgeon just trying to aware me on possible side effects or are these actually common complications?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 09:43:47 AM by kavan »

kavan

• Global Moderator
The concept of fibrous tissue filling in a gap is similar to what happens when a tooth is pulled. The HOLE left behind fills up with fibrous tissue. So, he's telling you straight that happens if no graft is put in to fill in the vacancy.

He's given you 3 options to fill in the gap. The option of your own bone (hip), he tells you it would be different density. True.

He appears to be telling you straight and seems to be reliable enough to discuss fine point technical differences of the options offered.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.

dardok

The concept of fibrous tissue filling in a gap is similar to what happens when a tooth is pulled. The HOLE left behind fills up with fibrous tissue. So, he's telling you straight that happens if no graft is put in to fill in the vacancy.

He's given you 3 options to fill in the gap. The option of your own bone (hip), he tells you it would be different density. True.

He appears to be telling you straight and seems to be reliable enough to discuss fine point technical differences of the options offered.

Thank you

Is there a reason why this issue is not more commonly documented? So any bone gap during an osteotomy will fill with fibrous tissue in the absence of a graft, how come some doctors do genioplasties without graft?

Also he says that some options the graft material will not fully integrate, such as medpor or HA paste. Is there any graft material that will 100% osteointegrate?

I know my own bone would for sure.

But what about cow bone and cadaver bone? Will those graft materials fully osteointegrate. My goal is to not have a foreign body at the site once everything heals.

kavan

• Global Moderator
Grill your doctor on those. I'm just telling you he's telling you straight.
Please. No PMs for private advice. Board issues only.