Author Topic: Re: Hey guys, long time no post.. (Pics)(Long rant) pertaining to jaw surgery.  (Read 1496 times)

strongjawman

Some more pics

[attachment deleted by admin]

[attachment deleted by admin]

CK

• Private
that kind of asymmetry high up in the face cannot be reversed, im almost certain of this. half your face grew at a different rate, it is the whole bone. upper jaw determines how your upper and mid face will grow, rather than growing forward and projected you had some vertical growth creating the left-right asymmetry. so the left side appears impacted. objectively it is moderate to minor, but common i have the same thing.

i dont know about atrophy or anything, that is something a doctor would have to diagnose. but if it is hard tissue it is basically impossible to correct that. implants/grafting might even out the cheek area, but the whole lateral side grew is impacted so it's not merely an underdeveloped cheekbone.

i see your chin is sort of pointing to the left from your photo, i imagine it is more obvious in person perhaps the lighting and angle of your photo distorts the real aesthetic. jaw surgery can treat that but if the pointiness is due to the chin itself and not the jaw that only way to correct that would be chin implants i believe. see dr. yaremchuk site for examples. dont think a genio can treat that. but the asymmetry is within normalish range from what i can tell. wouldnt even consider bone shaving/burring.

if you were injured during box than yeah that would affect your growth. if you break or fracture your jaw during childhood and that isnt treated, for example, it will undermine natural growth.

Lazlo

• Private
I wouldn't worry at all how you look. Even with the eyes taken out you look cool/badass and no one except all the bdd'ers on the forum would notice any asymmetries. What is of concern and important is your bite. Definitely see someone for that....

strongjawman

that kind of asymmetry high up in the face cannot be reversed, im almost certain of this. half your face grew at a different rate, it is the whole bone. upper jaw determines how your upper and mid face will grow, rather than growing forward and projected you had some vertical growth creating the left-right asymmetry. so the left side appears impacted. objectively it is moderate to minor, but common i have the same thing.

You mean both the upper and lower jaw grew faster on the right side compared to the left? Wouldn't this suggest that in order to get optimal occlusion I would need double jaw surgery?

i dont know about atrophy or anything, that is something a doctor would have to diagnose. but if it is hard tissue it is basically impossible to correct that. implants/grafting might even out the cheek area, but the whole lateral side grew is impacted so it's not merely an underdeveloped cheekbone.

I'm not looking for perfection, I was just advised that the only way to correct my bite is with something like a unilateral sagittal split osteotomy/advancement on one side

i see your chin is sort of pointing to the left from your photo, i imagine it is more obvious in person perhaps the lighting and angle of your photo distorts the real aesthetic. jaw surgery can treat that but if the pointiness is due to the chin itself and not the jaw that only way to correct that would be chin implants i believe. see dr. yaremchuk site for examples. dont think a genio can treat that. but the asymmetry is within normalish range from what i can tell. wouldnt even consider bone shaving/burring.

if you were injured during box than yeah that would affect your growth. if you break or fracture your jaw during childhood and that isnt treated, for example, it will undermine natural growth.

In bold.

Thanks for the heads up on Dr. Yaremchuk, checking it out now. The thing is a lot of this has worsened over the last 4 years, even my nose points down slightly more than it used to, I would like to get it fixed before it can get worse.

CK

• Private
You mean both the upper and lower jaw grew faster on the right side compared to the left? Wouldn't this suggest that in order to get optimal occlusion I would need double jaw surgery?

not necessarily faster or slower, just differently. normal faces grow horizontally, they project forward. due to the injuries you sustained during boxing, fractures or small breaks, tears, whatever, that can influence growth in a negative way. it is woefully unpredictable unfortunately. basically, your face grew UP instead of forward, not entirely but that is the only explanation to explain how your left side is underdeveloped or our right side is overdeveloped, no way to tell from my end. surgeon dont care honestly because the bones are hard and it cant be treated in a meaningful way. only grafting or implants.

your occlusion can be fixed for sure, but fixing the occlusion won't correct the left-right asymmetry.

I'm not looking for perfection, I was just advised that the only way to correct my bite is with something like a unilateral sagittal split osteotomy/advancement on one side

yea i just wouldnt put much stock in treating your left-right asymmetry. the underdeveloped goes all the way up the corners of your eye, no cuts can be made there. the soft tissue is a reflection of the hard tissue.

i would NOT get a nose job. your nose is perfectly fine, trust me a nose job is more likely to destroy your nose rather than fix the very minor "defect" you see that no one else notices.

Lazlo

• Private
no dumbass, BDD'er means someone with body dysmorphic disorder.  not a "bodybuilder" lololol

and are you mental? your nose looks completely fine. you better check yourself before you wreck yourself brother!

just go for the f**king surgery to fix your bite. you'll look awesome!

strongjawman

not necessarily faster or slower, just differently. normal faces grow horizontally, they project forward. due to the injuries you sustained during boxing, fractures or small breaks, tears, whatever, that can influence growth in a negative way. it is woefully unpredictable unfortunately. basically, your face grew UP instead of forward, not entirely but that is the only explanation to explain how your left side is underdeveloped or our right side is overdeveloped, no way to tell from my end. surgeon dont care honestly because the bones are hard and it cant be treated in a meaningful way. only grafting or implants.

your occlusion can be fixed for sure, but fixing the occlusion won't correct the left-right asymmetry.

yea i just wouldnt put much stock in treating your left-right asymmetry. the underdeveloped goes all the way up the corners of your eye, no cuts can be made there. the soft tissue is a reflection of the hard tissue.

i would NOT get a nose job. your nose is perfectly fine, trust me a nose job is more likely to destroy your nose rather than fix the very minor "defect" you see that no one else notices.

It's hard to see from the scans, but my nose is actually crooked, and this is definitely from boxing. If you look at me from the left, it looks straight, and from the right there is a bump, because it doesn't sit straight. But yeah I'm not overly bothered by it, more so the bite and asymmetry. Thanks so much for the reply and info.

no dumbass, BDD'er means someone with body dysmorphic disorder.  not a "bodybuilder" lololol

and are you mental? your nose looks completely fine. you better check yourself before you wreck yourself brother!

just go for the f**king surgery to fix your bite. you'll look awesome!

Haha, oh sht, my bad, I post on bb.com sometimes and, you know, bodybuilders are well known for having body dysmorphia:p

Thanks so much for the reply as well dude, you guys are alright around hurr.