Author Topic: Maloclussions that offer improvement from the front  (Read 9668 times)

x

• Private
Maloclussions that offer improvement from the front
« on: July 26, 2013, 09:13:29 PM »
because I think we can agree that not all do, and frontal improvement is far more important than profile

1.) severe mandibular retrognathia
2.) severe mandibular prognathism
3.) short face syndrome
4.) long face syndrome

what do you guys think?

pekay

Re: Maloclussions that offer improvement from the front
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:40:48 PM »
is that your ranking on what sort of patient benefits the most from surgery?
Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
is that your ranking on what sort of patient benefits the most from surgery?
I didn't do them in order, those are in my opinion the only cases that really benefit from the front, the rest are relatively unnoticeable.

I've seen great improvements from each of those occlusions, many of them go hand in hand (lfs + mandibular retrognathia)

pekay

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:50:17 PM »
I didn't do them in order, those are in my opinion the only cases that really benefit from the front, the rest are relatively unnoticeable.

I've seen great improvements from each of those occlusions, many of them go hand in hand (lfs + mandibular retrognathia)

oh ok how come you didn't include VME (really pronounced gummy smile)?

on a semi related note my 2nd degree aunt is moderate (maybe even severe) short face syndrome and the gossip around town is that she is one of the ugliest woman in the city (i live in bum f**k egypt) strangely enough both of her daughters are stunning
Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 09:55:56 PM »
oh ok how come you didn't include VME (really pronounced gummy smile)?

on a semi related note my 2nd degree aunt is moderate (maybe even severe) short face syndrome and the gossip around town is that she is one of the ugliest woman in the city (i live in bum f**k egypt) strangely enough both of her daughters are stunning
I use vme and long face syndrome interchangeably, but lfs could be either gummy smile or apertognathia

short face syndrome just makes you look mad all the time lol. I would trade in LFS for short face syndrome any day of the week, usually short face syndrome people have well developed midfaces I think

how would you actually rank them in terms of improvement from the front?

pekay

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 10:05:05 PM »

how would you actually rank them in terms of improvement from the front?

imo

1) severe mandibular prognathism = human piranhas
2) short face syndrome
3) LFS
4) severe mandibular retrognathia
Chopsticks > Spoons

x

• Private
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 10:10:21 PM »
imo

1) severe mandibular prognathism = human piranhas
2) short face syndrome
3) LFS
4) severe mandibular retrognathia
i agree

i would say LFS improves more from it's starting point, but SFS looks better in the long run. they're also incredibly rare, I've only seen like 3 SFS before/afters, probably cause people with SFS find their appearance more satisfactory than LFS guys

pekay

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 10:17:02 PM »
i agree

i would say LFS improves more from it's starting point, but SFS looks better in the long run. they're also incredibly rare, I've only seen like 3 SFS before/afters, probably cause people with SFS find their appearance more satisfactory than LFS guys

yeah SFS people in general already look fairly "mainstream" unless they are on the severe spectrum (like my aunt) then it's a completely different ball game

Chopsticks > Spoons

Tiny

• Private
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
i agree

I don't know, SFS looks pretty bad to me - when you're younger you just look like a frog-child with a square face but as you get older as you get hella premature jowling and nasolabial/marionette lines as you don't have the facial length to support the tissues.   And those issues cannot be fixed with fillers or botox at all, unlike a regular lines and wrinkles.    SFS is really aging as faces naturally get shorter over time due to bite collapse/molar wear/ degradation of the facial bones.

Here are some before/afters for short face - although both were fixed with crowns to open the bite.  Can't really find any that were fixed surgically.  Maybe in these cases there isn't a big skeletal problem but the overbite allowed the posterior teeth to get worn down and the face collapsed

http://www.faceliftdentistry.com/dental-facelift.html
http://www.faceliftdentistry.com/overbite/over-bite-correction.html

CK

• Private
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »
I don't know, SFS looks pretty bad to me - when you're younger you just look like a frog-child with a square face but as you get older as you get hella premature jowling and nasolabial/marionette lines as you don't have the facial length to support the tissues.   And those issues cannot be fixed with fillers or botox at all, unlike a regular lines and wrinkles.    SFS is really aging as faces naturally get shorter over time due to bite collapse/molar wear/ degradation of the facial bones.

Here are some before/afters for short face - although both were fixed with crowns to open the bite.  Can't really find any that were fixed surgically.  Maybe in these cases there isn't a big skeletal problem but the overbite allowed the posterior teeth to get worn down and the face collapsed

short faces always look fairly normal even in many extreme cases. yeah the face looks older but not necessarily deformed looking, which is what long face syndrome often looks like. and based on the few cases ive seen it seems way more correctable (aesthetically) than long face syndrome. in many cases of long face syndrome the bones are thin and overdeveloped in the middle so one can expect poor aging due to lack of support.

x

• Private
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 06:54:31 PM »

hmm

that woman doesn't look great, but that guy looks better than i do.

both look extremely normal compared to:

http://www.maineoralsurgery.com/files/2012/08/orthognathic-case-before2.jpg