Author Topic: 30+ year olds, how would you have reacted if you found out about this stuff...  (Read 13263 times)

x

• Private
i think orthos seriously overrate their ability to manipulate jaw growth. in almost every case ive seen growth becomes undermines and sometimes destroyed with all the novelty appliances orthos pick up at conferences. i would like to see cases where orthodontic work guides and corrects growth disorders.

with teeth i can see orthos doing work, but beyond that it's more of a money maker than actually controlling facial growth.
possibly, but imo and it's only that, i look better than a lot of adenoid facies guys. whether that can be attributed to the ortho's work or not is anyone's guess

tell your ortho he's an asshole for me

Kristen

• Private
Do you still feel you need surgery?   If so,  what kind of surgical movements?
Can you sleep with your mouth closed now?

x

• Private
Do you still feel you need surgery?   If so,  what kind of surgical movements?
Can you sleep with your mouth closed now?
need it no, but want it kind of. I'll likely need my maxilla impacted to close the open bite and advanced, then a genio to square off the face

and no I still mouth breathe at night, fix one problem (enlarged adenoids & tonsils) and another presents itself (deviated septum & enlarged turbinates)

Kristen

• Private
If you use the same ortho for surgery will he should be free of charge now.    I think that is customary or at least good business.
You should fix the nasal breathing issues first before jaw surgery.

x

• Private
If you use the same ortho for surgery will he should be free of charge now.    I think that is customary or at least good business.
You should fix the nasal breathing issues first before jaw surgery.
actually I've been trying to get that answered

if I get the deviated septum fixed before upper jaw surgery, is there a chance the surgery would necessitate a revision septoplasty?

I do want to get it fixed badly because mouth breathing is awful and leaves you feeling drained all the time

Kristen

• Private
They have an in office procedure for shrinking the turbinates now using a cold ablation technique.
Takes 10 minutes.
Maybe you can look into that just to help a little till you have the surgery.

x

• Private
They have an in office procedure for shrinking the turbinates now using a cold ablation technique.
Takes 10 minutes.
Maybe you can look into that just to help a little till you have the surgery.
That's actually good advice, thanks. do the turbinates now & septoplasty with or after the surgery, makes sense

CK

• Private
i think my ortho was a quack despite his good reputation (catering to all the rich/elite kids in Westlake (Austin, TX) although I was never given a head-gear he had me on springs and those super thick rubber bands while I was in 7th and 8th grade

i had the springs and super thick rubber bands. are those bad for growth? i remember the springs so annoying.

Tiny

• Private
i had the springs and super thick rubber bands. are those bad for growth? i remember the springs so annoying.

I had rubber bands too, to close the huge gaps left after I had my molars extracted.   I wonder if it made my jaw recession worse I have the exact same facial structure as my father but my chin/jaw recession is 10x worse.  It seems that it's a lot easier to disrupt growth via orthodontics than to create growth.  However, I didn't have the bands til I was about 15 so it's likely that my bones had already stopped growing.  I certainly didn't gain any height after 15.

Euphoria, mouth breathing is horrible.  Not being able to breath through the nose is the worst feeling ever!  One of the reasons I got a rhino was for my septum, which was super deviated - the tiniest hint of a cold and I couldn't breathe.   Not being able to breath through the nose for a week was probably the hardest part of recovery from rhinoplasty so I cannot imagine living like that permanently.  If they are careful with the upper jaw surgery then I would have thought any prior septoplasty would be OK if it was fully healed.

pekay

no idea, don't think so but who really knows?
Chopsticks > Spoons

CK

• Private
no idea, don't think so but who really knows?

i think it's generally unhealthy for the teeth to be subject to so much force. imo it just wears the teeth down, especially if it's 6+ years of stuff in your mouth. not just typical train tracks. plus it really messes with oral posture because your lips are always in an unnatural position, at least for me it was like that.

x

• Private
I had rubber bands too, to close the huge gaps left after I had my molars extracted.   I wonder if it made my jaw recession worse I have the exact same facial structure as my father but my chin/jaw recession is 10x worse.  It seems that it's a lot easier to disrupt growth via orthodontics than to create growth.  However, I didn't have the bands til I was about 15 so it's likely that my bones had already stopped growing.  I certainly didn't gain any height after 15.

Euphoria, mouth breathing is horrible.  Not being able to breath through the nose is the worst feeling ever!  One of the reasons I got a rhino was for my septum, which was super deviated - the tiniest hint of a cold and I couldn't breathe.   Not being able to breath through the nose for a week was probably the hardest part of recovery from rhinoplasty so I cannot imagine living like that permanently.  If they are careful with the upper jaw surgery then I would have thought any prior septoplasty would be OK if it was fully healed.
hmm that is very interesting, I'd like to experience mouth breathing for just a week just to feel the magnitude of difference

I think the scariest is when I smoke weed, occasionally for some reason it will start feeling like I'm really really struggling to breathe and I have to forcibly concentrate on breathing through my mouth to not suffocate. I don't know if it's a mind thing or if it's really how I feel all the time without realizing it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:06:23 PM by Euphoria »

Tiny

• Private
I cannot sleep at all if I can't breathe through my nose.  It was by far the worst part of rhinoplasty recovery and I expect it to be the worse part of jaw surgery recovery should I decide to undergo it.  So I really feel for you Euphoria, if it was me I would be doing the septoplasty now, and wouldn't care if I had to redo it.  I hate not being able to breath that much

dantheman

• Private
When you guys say can't breathe through your nose at night do you mean not at all? I can never breathe enough air through my nose exclusively while sleeping so keep my mouth open. But it's not the claustrophobic cant move any air through my nose type of situation. Can nighttime mouth breathing mess up your growth???   :-[

erikavs

If they had figured out the cause of my breathing problem when I finally went to the dr in my 20's, instead of mutilating my nose, they would have realized the problem was in my throat or upper airway...I would be a different person, an able-bodied person!